Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have replaced the bushings on a 2018 Model 3 in November of 2021 and they will need to be done again now, there must be a manufacturing defect. Bushings should never fail and to have them fail twice in a 4 year old car is wrong.

In the past year, we have had major problems and expenses have added up with our 2018 Model 3:
1. Bushings failed and needed to be replaced ($800)
2. Charge port failed ($250)
3. Horn stopped working and needed replacement ($700)
4. cabin heat stopped working and needed to be replaced ($800)
5. Repair paint on the trim along the sides of the car because the paint is peeling($1000)

The bushings are making noise and likely failing again, it's only been 6 months. I drive an hour to work on paved roads and highways, bushings should last a lot longer than 4 years.

Why doesn't Tesla have more recalls for these things? The failures cannot be blamed on normal wear and tear, they are obviously manufacturing defects.

Why doesn't Tesla have more recalls for these things? The failures cannot be blamed on normal wear and tear, they are obviously manufacturing defects.

Recalls are for things that impact safety and are typically driven by government requirements, not some sense of "doing the right thing" by the manufacturer.

Even if Tesla knew that there were deficiencies in design or build quality, they likely would deny it's a problem and just push you to pay for a repair like you've experienced. No real reason or forcing function for them to proactively perform the work until someone complains and/or pays for it, sadly. In the long run this type of action will hurt them since people will avoid Tesla for reliability reasons, but currently they sort of have the market cornered and we don't have many other options.

We have replaced the bushings on a 2018 Model 3 in November of 2021 and they will need to be done again now, there must be a manufacturing defect. Bushings should never fail and to have them fail twice in a 4 year old car is wrong.
@B Slocum "Bushings should never fail" is wrong. Nothing lasts forever, certainly not bushings subject to movement, friction, and forces acting on the suspension.

However the original bushings on a purely street-driven road car certainly shouldn't fail within 4 years, especially not twice, that does seem like a design or manufacturing defect. (Unless maybe you're setting mileage records over the worst roads in the world on something, I'll assume that's not the case.)

Bushings on a street car should last the warranty period at least, and if they don't the manufacturer should replace them under warranty.

Are you referring to the front control arm bushings?

I’ve read in several places now about the heater failing.

Makes me have second thoughts keeping my 2018 as the warranty is up in about a month.
Yes, the front control arm bushings failed and we replaced them last Fall, now they are squeaking again. Our Mechanic injected lubricant but it has only lasted two weeks before the squeaking started again.We have a call out to Tesla to ask that they refund and replace the one's we put in last Fall.

In the past year, we have had major problems and expenses have added up with our 2018 Model 3:
5. Repair paint on the trim along the sides of the car because the paint is peeling($1000)

The bushings are making noise and likely failing again, it's only been 6 months. I drive an hour to work on paved roads and highways, bushings should last a lot longer than 4 years.

None of that was warrantied?

Yes, the front control arm bushings failed and we replaced them last Fall, now they are squeaking again. Our Mechanic injected lubricant but it has only lasted two weeks before the squeaking started again.We have a call out to Tesla to ask that they refund and replace the one's we put in last Fall.
Seems like work done should carry its own warranty. Maybe 12 months? That’s crazy.

I guess I'm lucky...I worry about NOTHING on our 2 M3's...I guess once you come from everything being hidden under that nice plastic cover...it all seems Meh.

1652307056679.png

Reactions: SumOne

1-4 should all be warranty items, why were you charged anything?