Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$150 for the key fob we should have had in the first place?:eek: Um no, Tesla, I'll take mine for FREE, especially considering all the editorials I wrote here pointing out why Phone-as-a-key SUCKS. And living with that complete FAIL of a system on my Galaxy S5 phone since May 8. I should be getting free eap too as fair compensation!:cool:

timk225:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks "Phone-as-a-key SUCKS."

What is wrong with Americans? All car makers now seem to think they should discard an ultra-reliable, small, cheap, device; the metal key, and replace it with an expensive item that can't get wet, can easily break, and has batteries that go dead. The metal key has been tested and improved over thousands of years.

Besides, I observe my friends with smart phones, and they have serious mental obsessions with these tiny screens that they can't stop looking at - even while having a meal with a friend or child. Throw it out and move back to the land of the living! It's usually wonderful out. And it's probably not too late to exercise your neglected direction-finding brain circuits.

If I got a smart phone, not only would I have to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for the privilege of having a fourth computer system I'd have to learn and keep running, but it would spoil my on-going experiment on just how long a first-generation flip phone can keep working.

I thank Tesla for the card. But the fob really looks cool.

but it would spoil my on-going experiment on just how long a first-generation flip phone can keep working.
Hehe... I finally replaced my flip phone with a smartphone a year ago in anticipation of my Model 3. Not just as key, but to use the app. The key function did not work well at all initially, but after I did an OS upgrade on the phone, it has been reliable. However, I can empathize with those for whom this is an ongoing source of frustration.

Last edited:
timk225:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks "Phone-as-a-key SUCKS."

What is wrong with Americans? All car makers now seem to think they should discard an ultra-reliable, small, cheap, device; the metal key, and replace it with an expensive item that can't get wet, can easily break, and has batteries that go dead. The metal key has been tested and improved over thousands of years.

Besides, I observe my friends with smart phones, and they have serious mental obsessions with these tiny screens that they can't stop looking at - even while having a meal with a friend or child. Throw it out and move back to the land of the living! It's usually wonderful out. And it's probably not too late to exercise your neglected direction-finding brain circuits.

If I got a smart phone, not only would I have to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for the privilege of having a fourth computer system I'd have to learn and keep running, but it would spoil my on-going experiment on just how long a first-generation flip phone can keep working.

I thank Tesla for the card. But the fob really looks cool.
I'm not obsessed with smartphones but I love the keyless life. It's nice leaving the house with only my cellphone and wallet.

Smartphones are no longer a luxury items. How much you pay depends on what you want. You can easily find a smartphone for the price of the key fob.

Finally got a shipping confirmations for my 2 key fobs ordered 11/16.
Oddly 2 FedEx separate shipments.
Got 2 emails 3 Minutes apart.
2 key fobs finally delivered about an hour ago. I’ll have to wait till my wife gets home with the Model 3 to pair them.
I will report back here after they’re paired later today.

Reactions: BobAbooey
2 key fobs finally delivered about an hour ago. I’ll have to wait till my wife gets home with the Model 3 to pair them.
I will report back here after they’re paired later today.
Ok,
Here you go. Unboxing, Pairing & Demo...
It’s pretty quick and dirty but it covers everything including a weird error message I got on my phone afterwards…

• Informative
I'm not obsessed with smartphones but I love the keyless life. It's nice leaving the house with only my cellphone and wallet.

Smartphones are no longer a luxury items. How much you pay depends on what you want. You can easily find a smartphone for the price of the key fob.
Ditto on living the keyless life! With my model 3 arrival, I also got an electric combo lock for my garage door. No more keys! Love it!

Got my fob yesterday. No lanyard in my box either.

A quick look around eBay yesterday and I had found this: Tesla Model 3 & X string keychain key chain/rope lanyard (key fob not included) | eBay

Might go with that rather than the leather case but it's rather pricey for what it is. Now I guess I have a reason to update my software :) .

Is it just 1 for $10?!?!?!

On Amazon you can buy 30 for $7.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunmns-Split...8&qid=1545490239&sr=8-7&keywords=lanyard+ring

I'm tempted buying them and selling the other 29 on eBay for $5 each.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Yay! Got my key fob for Christmas this morning. Pairing is super easy. I liked using my phone as a key for awhile but I miss a fob with house keys on it. I am tired of opening up the Tesla app to unlock this and that. Much easier just to press a button.

Yay! Got my key fob for Christmas this morning. Pairing is super easy. I liked using my phone as a key for awhile but I miss a fob with house keys on it. I am tired of opening up the Tesla app to unlock this and that. Much easier just to press a button.

Not sure if Apple has this feature but android always has a tesla icon at the top notification bar and you can quickly lock/unlock the door, frunk, or trunk without ever opening the app.

I got my Key Fob last week (no lanyard in box, assuming this is a typo in the owners manual at this point). Although I've had zero issues using my iPhone X as a "key", there are times when I want to unlock the car, or unlock the trunk(s) before I actually get to the car and without having to fiddle with my phone, especially now that the winter months have arrived in the Great White North. Having the fob in my pocket for those times when I need it makes it worth it for me.

It would have been nice if Tesla included a fob with the Model 3 from the start, but from my experience using my Phone as a key along with the provided keycard, it's definitely optional.

As an aside, I ordered a silicone skin for it that's advertised as designed for the Model S and it fits perfectly. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FPHPS96.