Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just used the key fob at the car wash. Funny thing is, in LA, they are much more comfortable with the card than the new fob. As it doesn't have passive entry, once they finished vacuuming the car, the two minutes had lapsed, the car wouldn't budge. They assumed I gave them the fob for an S and not the 3.

I had to tell explain you need to "unlock" again (even though the car was already unlocked) or you can use the fob like the key card.

Reactions: BobAbooey
I just used the key fob at the car wash. Funny thing is, in LA, they are much more comfortable with the card than the new fob. As it doesn't have passive entry, once they finished vacuuming the car, the two minutes had lapsed, the car wouldn't budge. They assumed I gave them the fob for an S and not the 3.

I had to tell explain you need to "unlock" again (even though the car was already unlocked) or you can use the fob like the key card.

I didn't even think about that, but it makes sense. The carwash near me had been working MS and MX for years. And they are really familiar with the keycard, but I am sure the M3 keyfob without passive will confuse them as not many has the keyfob.

Come to think on it, the keyfob would confuse the valets too. They probably thinks they brought the wrong keyfob and would run back to the stand to try to find the right one! LOL.

I am loving my fob so far, having had it a couple of weeks now. I find it more and more useful every day. I like being able to double click the trunk to pop it as I walk up with groceries, etc. I love the security of unlocking the car with the fob in the dark gym parking lot - no more futzing with my phone trying to get in. I also find it handy at home - if I am washing my car, keeping the fob in my pocket is way easier than the phone was.

So far the fob has worked 100% of the time, which has been nice. It was worth the $$ for me. I still leave my phone as key, so I also still get the proximity unlock most of the time, but if it is raining or something, having the option to have a guaranteed unlock via the fob is sure nice.

I am loving my fob so far, having had it a couple of weeks now. I find it more and more useful every day. I like being able to double click the trunk to pop it as I walk up with groceries, etc. I love the security of unlocking the car with the fob in the dark gym parking lot - no more futzing with my phone trying to get in. I also find it handy at home - if I am washing my car, keeping the fob in my pocket is way easier than the phone was.

So far the fob has worked 100% of the time, which has been nice. It was worth the $$ for me. I still leave my phone as key, so I also still get the proximity unlock most of the time, but if it is raining or something, having the option to have a guaranteed unlock via the fob is sure nice.
I ordered mine on 11/17 so I guess there is a bit delay in shipping. How long did it take you to receive it?

I ordered mine on 11/17 so I guess there is a bit delay in shipping. How long did it take you to receive it?

Ordered mine 11/18 and still waiting. Think the site said 3-4 weeks when I placed my order. Doubt being closer to the factory will enable me to get mine sooner than you. ;):p

Today it was raining as I was ready to leave. Phone wasn't connecting off the bat until I stood there and toggled bluetooth off and on on it. In the meantime phone's getting wet. I'm not one to walk around with my phone out (although I know many do) and when juggling purse and other things going to the car I do worry about dropping my phone. Despite having a case on it, if it fell it would probably be a more expensive repair than the cost of the fob.

Last edited:
Ordered mine 11/18 and still waiting. Think the site said 3-4 weeks when I placed my order. Doubt being closer to the factory will enable me to get mine sooner than you. ;):p
I would think being closer to the factory would add time. I’m guessing they’re made in China, so China -> USA -> China.:)
I ordered mine on 11/16, still nothing beyond order confirmation that day.

Oh I was thinking Tesla Fremont factory when I wrote that LOL. But yes, sure they are made and shipped from overseas. At least Calif delivery is logistically closer to China. Again possibly a West Coast advantage haha.

Looks like a number of us are probably in the same production batch.

Last edited:
BD3D368D-1AD9-4151-B0B0-2F71E5FB8F34.jpeg
Abstract Ocean now has covers with valet-friendly symbols specifically for the Model 3 fob:

Model 3 FobPockets

Very tempted to get the deep blue version for my deep blue car. :cool:

Oh I was thinking Tesla Fremont factory when I wrote that LOL. But yes, sure they are made and shipped from overseas. At least Calif delivery is logistically closer to China. Again possibly a West Coast advantage haha.

Looks like a number of us are probably in the same production batch.
I assumed that & was just kidding.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
I might have an option for those of you looking for a passive entry fob.

My phone works well enough for me that I don't see the point in buying a $150 fob without passive entry, nor do I need it.

However, I was curious enough to drop $125 on a Jelly Pro to see how it worked. It's a super tiny cell phone with bluetooth, running Android 7. You could just use this as a key, and charge it as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752BYRHM

I have only done basic testing so far, but the Tesla app runs on it just fine, and works fine as a key, including passive entry. Limited testing so far, but I'll try it for a few days and report back if I find it reliable. I haven't even tried to put a sim card in it, but wifi works fine too.

Let me know if there are any specific tests you'd like to see done if you think this might be an option for you and you don't want to spend $125 to find out :)

• Informative
I might have an option for those of you looking for a passive entry fob.

My phone works well enough for me that I don't see the point in buying a $150 fob without passive entry, nor do I need it.

However, I was curious enough to drop $125 on a Jelly Pro to see how it worked. It's a super tiny cell phone with bluetooth, running Android 7. You could just use this as a key, and charge it as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752BYRHM

I have only done basic testing so far, but the Tesla app runs on it just fine, and works fine as a key, including passive entry. Limited testing so far, but I'll try it for a few days and report back if I find it reliable. I haven't even tried to put a sim card in it, but wifi works fine too.

Let me know if there are any specific tests you'd like to see done if you think this might be an option for you and you don't want to spend $125 to find out :)

Do you mean leave this Jelly phone in the car and the fob will work as a passive fob then? I have a few old iPhones maybe I could use one of them