TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Key Fob transfer

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Fongers, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Fongers

Fongers Member

A neighbor of mine is planning to get rid of his Model 3. He's willing to sell me his Model 3 Key Fob but is there any special process to activate it with my Model 3? Does he need to deactivate it from his car or will it be the same as activating a new Key Card?

2. RayK

RayK Active Member

I can't say that I've ever done something like this but here's my take:

• Have your friend deactivate the fob from his car
    • Verify that it doesn't work anymore to unlock/lock his car
    • Take the fob, along with one of your keycards (or possibly your already connected phone) and associate the fob with your car
    • If the fob works for your car (all functions available), then pay the man

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Fongers

Fongers Member

Got it! Will try it tomorrow and update the thread!

4. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

Interesting. It makes me wonder if it's possible to pair the fob to multiple cars, or if the fob can only have one car paired to it. In theory it's emitting whatever BLE signal it emits just like the phone and it's the car that should recognize whether that signal is allowed to open it or not, which you authorize by pairing it the first time with your key card. Maybe someone with more than one 3 and a key fob can chime in.

5. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Personally I'd never trust anyone who's getting rid of their Model 3.

• Funny x 3
  6. Fongers

Fongers Member

LOL!!

7. Fongers

Fongers Member

Not sure how to LIKE a post, or if I have that ability yet, but you're right about the BLE signal. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult!

8. Fongers

Fongers Member

**UPDATE**
    Key fob transfer worked flawlessly!

• Informative x 1
  9. Reeler

Reeler Decade of Pure EV Driving

Hope you got them cheap now that the v2 fob is out and has passive entry. The v1 fobs are like the ones they started making in the 80s that require hitting the button each time to lock and unlock.

10. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

The manual says you can you 1 fob for multiple 3’s. You just have to touch the pillar before it will switch cars.