Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A neighbor of mine is planning to get rid of his Model 3. He's willing to sell me his Model 3 Key Fob but is there any special process to activate it with my Model 3? Does he need to deactivate it from his car or will it be the same as activating a new Key Card?

I can't say that I've ever done something like this but here's my take:

• Have your friend deactivate the fob from his car
  • Verify that it doesn't work anymore to unlock/lock his car
  • Take the fob, along with one of your keycards (or possibly your already connected phone) and associate the fob with your car
  • If the fob works for your car (all functions available), then pay the man

• Helpful
Reactions: Chewy3 and Akikiki
I can't say that I've ever done something like this but here's my take:

• Have your friend deactivate the fob from his car
  • Verify that it doesn't work anymore to unlock/lock his car
  • Take the fob, along with one of your keycards (or possibly your already connected phone) and associate the fob with your car
  • If the fob works for your car (all functions available), then pay the man
Got it! Will try it tomorrow and update the thread!

Interesting. It makes me wonder if it's possible to pair the fob to multiple cars, or if the fob can only have one car paired to it. In theory it's emitting whatever BLE signal it emits just like the phone and it's the car that should recognize whether that signal is allowed to open it or not, which you authorize by pairing it the first time with your key card. Maybe someone with more than one 3 and a key fob can chime in.

Interesting. It makes me wonder if it's possible to pair the fob to multiple cars, or if the fob can only have one car paired to it. In theory it's emitting whatever BLE signal it emits just like the phone and it's the car that should recognize whether that signal is allowed to open it or not, which you authorize by pairing it the first time with your key card. Maybe someone with more than one 3 and a key fob can chime in.
Not sure how to LIKE a post, or if I have that ability yet, but you're right about the BLE signal. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult!

Hope you got them cheap now that the v2 fob is out and has passive entry. The v1 fobs are like the ones they started making in the 80s that require hitting the button each time to lock and unlock.

The manual says you can you 1 fob for multiple 3’s. You just have to touch the pillar before it will switch cars.