Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Long Range AWD Broke Down After 250 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I took delivery of my model 3 AWD on Friday. Delivery went smooth, my car didn’t come with the phone charging cables but these would be shipped to my home. I drove my car around that day and showed it to my family and friends. The car was exceptional, But each time I parked the car for a couple of minutes I noticed some moisture under the car. I thought, it’s a hot day today (30C/86F) that must be condensation from the air conditioning. I couldn’t be more wrong. After charging the car overnight I noticed the cooling system working overtime. I thought nothing of it, this car is my first EV and this was my first time charging it. I had some errands to run so I got on with my day. Drove about 20 miles before the problems started. I got an error saying my SOS call system (required by law in new EU cars). Another 5 miles later I lost cruise control, and one of the motors stopped working so the cars top speed was limited to 105km/h (65mph). I pulled over to see moisture dripping from below my car. I decided to call Tesla service, a very nice man helped my book a service appointment for the following week and told me I could still use my car in the meanwhile. While I was still on the phone with Tesla service I lost power steering. I pulled over and Tesla service send out a tow truck. The tow truck driver told me my car was leaking coolant.

So my 1 day old car broke down with only 250 miles on the odometer.

Tesla service will call me tomorrow to inform me about what is wrong with my car etc. I will keep you posted.

I’m wondering if anybody has had the same problem?
What can I expect from Tesla service?
Or in terms of compensation?

Midnight silver metallic model 3 long range dual motor 19” black interior vin: 368***

Leaking coolant? The only thing I can see to add is window washer fluid. How would one know when coolant in a problem?
Coolant is not something you should ever be checking. If it’s leaking, there is a problem and a service center visit is required. I have heard there is a error message alerting you to the coolant problem. Not sure of the OP saw this. I have seen only a couple instances of coolant leaks on this forum so I think it’s pretty rare.

Reactions: CarlK and C141medic
Coolant is not something you should ever be checking. If it’s leaking, there is a problem and a service center visit is required. I have heard there is a error message alerting you to the coolant problem. Not sure of the OP saw this. I have seen only a couple instances of coolant leaks on this forum so I think it’s pretty rare.

No that does not happen often. My best guess here is damage during transportation which is a pretty common issue for any cars. Tesla will fix it whatever it is.

Yes, the low coolant warning comes on letting you know it requires service. And you can see it leaking all over the floor in the garage.

Tesla used to give compensation for unfortunate things like this in the past (t shirts, supercharger credits, Wall charger, etc). I would not be pleased either.
Just amazes me that people would consider asking for a handout right away. If it was a 100k car costing you 2k a month to keep on the road and it was down for a month, sure. But it’s not, it’s a 50k car.

Give them a chance to fix it, I’m sure it will be done soon and back on the road

Reactions: SaddleSC
Nothing as serious as the OP, but my Tesla also has a problem on the very first day of delivery (I picked it up on Sunday)

It charges, but when you insert the charger it clicks repeatedly for about 5-6 seconds, never get a green light. On my dashboard it says the Charge port latch is not engaged. Of course I didn't check the charging until I got home from the dealer, so on the day of my delivery I had to make my first service call...

So someone from the service center got in touch with me today. It turns out it’s a faulty super bottle(coolant reservoir) they told my they had never seen such a bad leak on a new car. New part was ordered and should be in by the end of the week. They even gave me a model s P90D loaner (which is all the compensation I was looking for). On top of that I got some supercharging credit.

Just amazes me that people would consider asking for a handout right away. If it was a 100k car costing you 2k a month to keep on the road and it was down for a month, sure. But it’s not, it’s a 50k car.

Give them a chance to fix it, I’m sure it will be done soon and back on the road

So where I’m at it is actually a nearly €70k/$80k car. I’m not looking for cash or anything. Just a loaner or something.
It’s frustrating to buy a brand new car and have it break down almost immediately.

Reactions: Roy W. and alloverx