Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 loses 15 miles a day in parking garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked my M3 in a parking garage in San Bruno with over 180 miles 8 days ago. As of yesterday there were 62 miles left. Temperatures have been average, sentry mode not activated and all doors closed, temp off, minimal checking of app. Called Tesla, they checked the log and said there were no signs of anything amiss. By the time I get to my car at this rate my car will be too low to drive. It’s a 2018 m3. Anyone have any experience with this? The same week my laptop crashed and lost its hard drive. Is this mercury in Retrograde actually a thing? Am I having a bad run at it or Is something amiss? Thank you.

I parked my M3 in a parking garage in San Bruno with over 180 miles 8 days ago. As of yesterday there were 62 miles left. Temperatures have been average, sentry mode not activated and all doors closed, temp off, minimal checking of app. Called Tesla, they checked the log and said there were no signs of anything amiss. By the time I get to my car at this rate my car will be too low to drive. It’s a 2018 m3. Anyone have any experience with this? The same week my laptop crashed and lost its hard drive. Is this mercury in Retrograde actually a thing? Am I having a bad run at it or Is something amiss? Thank you.
Did you have sentry mode activated?

Smart Summon Standby Mode is/was on. 15 rated miles a day in an LR. It’ll turn off at 20% (so it is now off) and then you’ll revert to a “mere” 3-4 miles a day.

No, there is no way for you to turn it off remotely. Maybe Tesla can but no point now.

Did you have sentry mode activated?
Way to read.

OP Another thing to check is summon 'standby'. Also, I wonder if disabling remote access reduces drain (but I have never tried). Low temps also drain things, colder it gets, faster it drains.

Isn't their a 'turn car off' mode somewhere? In the service settings IIRC.

Unfortunately the reality is that batteries will drain a bit by themselves and the computer is always doing something while the car is on. So you might be able to get it lower loss per day, but you can only leave a tesla for so long. 2 weeks should be doable though, really.

that batteries will drain a bit by themselves

They really don’t in any significant way. Tesla says in the EPA submission that it is less than 0.5% per month (So ~0.05 rated miles per day, 1.5 miles per month).
The reason it drains is because the Tesla is using it for “reasons.” As you say, because the computer is often on - in the case of Summon Standby, it's always on. The behavior is something very specific to Tesla EVs.

From Tesla EPA document:
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.41.17 AM.png

Last edited:
In addition to the above points about Summon Standby, how often are you checking via the app? Do you use any third party services like TeslaFi or Stats?

Any of the above could be keeping your car awake and consuming more power than it should.

My car has been parked for 8 days as well funny enough. It has lost 2% (LR AWD so... 6-7 miles of range?). I have basically everything turned off and it's sitting in cool (not freezing) temps.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I have basically everything turned off

Seems good. Never been able to get to that level.
TeslaCam turned off before you left the car? Data sharing turned off? People keep claiming these things help. The one time I tried it for a day it seemed to help but too short a time period to judge. My longer term experiment got ruined by Summon Standby of course.

TeslaCam turned off before you left the car? Data sharing turned off? People keep claiming these things help. The one time I tried it for a day it seemed to help but too short a time period to judge. My longer term experiment got ruined by Summon Standby of course.

Oh, those are good extra questions actually. I'll have to report once I get back to my car much later today! And yeah I was honestly surprised it's only dropped 2%, I was ready for around 10%.

I think I turned off the dash cam feature and removed the USB drive. I didn't touch the data sharing toggle, but I'm not sure what it's been set to all this time. I probably have it off.

Summon Standby defaulted to Off for me surprisingly. Seems like everyone else complains that it defaulted On. I did also get the update later than most, so maybe I skipped a version that toggles it on.

I noticed you are the efficiency expert around these parts, any word on 2020 SR+ discharge constant?

I noticed you are the efficiency expert around these parts, any word on 2020 SR+ discharge constant?

Ha...expert not so much.

Not yet! We’d need someone who gets an SR+ delivered showing 250 rated miles at full charge first! And then they would need to do a carefully executed discharge and log the data (pictures).

These discharge constants are somewhat approximate of course. (The other constants are not approximate.)

Constants for SR+ currently are:

219Wh/mi charging / ~209Wh/mi discharge. Rated Line on energy screen is about 224Wh/mi.

My guess is that if the rated miles change (they will eventually I assume), these would change to:

215Wh/rmi (rated line)
210Wh/rmi (Charging)
~200Wh/rmi (discharging)

Just a wild guess though. It depends a lot on how they actually achieve the extra range, exactly. Hard to predict. For example, they could stretch the battery a bit more (no idea if they actually could do this but in theory it is possible). That would not change the constants but give more range.

Yep it helps, Zero Range Drain in 12 hours. Posted in another thread

Fred

Ha...expert not so much.

Not yet! We’d need someone who gets an SR+ delivered showing 250 rated miles at full charge first! And then they would need to do a carefully executed discharge and log the data (pictures).

These discharge constants are somewhat approximate of course. (The other constants are not approximate.)

Constants for SR+ currently are:

219Wh/mi charging / ~209Wh/mi discharge. Rated Line on energy screen is about 224Wh/mi.

My guess is that if the rated miles change (they will eventually I assume), these would change to:

215Wh/rmi (rated line)
210Wh/rmi (Charging)
~200Wh/rmi (discharging)

Just a wild guess though. It depends a lot on how they actually achieve the extra range, exactly. Hard to predict. For example, they could stretch the battery a bit more (no idea if they actually could do this but in theory it is possible). That would not change the constants but give more range.

What is the point of the rated line if it's not the discharge constant? Why would tesla showcase the rated line if its not accurate? I'm still confused on the purpose of rated line

What is the point of the rated line if it's not the discharge constant? Why would tesla showcase the rated line if its not accurate? I'm still confused on the purpose of rated line

It's a good question. You could argue that the position of the line times the number of rated miles gives an approximate value for the pack capacity. But I have no idea whether that's the reason Tesla chose that position. And it's a bit odd that the difference in position vs. the value used for the calculation is always 5Wh/mi no matter what the underlying number of rated miles available for the vehicle.

The reason it would have to be 5Wh/mi higher on the AWD/RWD is because of the buffer. The 310 rated miles above the buffer effectively contain less energy than the true EPA rated miles - because the EPA miles include the buffer energy, but the rated miles on the gauge do not.

Anyway, for example:

310rmi * 250Wh/rmi = 77.5kWh
325rmi * 239Wh/rmi = 77.7kWh

But to be honest, this is just throwing random numbers around and I have no idea why Tesla does what they do. It does make things fantastically confusing!

The charging and discharging constant discrepancy is honestly the biggest confusing point - people claim it is due to heat loss, but honestly haven't seen a lot of dependence on the discharge rate. But regardless of the reason, it means that your trip meter kWh will always be significantly less than your charging screen kWh additions.

But in any case the projected range starts out about right at 100% battery, and when you get to just a few %, it's actually potentially pessimistic, because it's not accounting for the buffer (which is probably good since you really probably don't want to dig into that...)

It's a good question. You could argue that the position of the line times the number of rated miles gives an approximate value for the pack capacity. But I have no idea whether that's the reason Tesla chose that position. And it's a bit odd that the difference in position vs. the value used for the calculation is always 5Wh/mi no matter what the underlying number of rated miles available for the vehicle.

The reason it would have to be 5Wh/mi higher on the AWD/RWD is because of the buffer. The 310 rated miles above the buffer effectively contain less energy than the true EPA rated miles - because the EPA miles include the buffer energy, but the rated miles on the gauge do not.

Anyway, for example:

But to be honest, this is just throwing random numbers around and I have no idea why Tesla does what they do. It does make things fantastically confusing!

The charging and discharging constant discrepancy is honestly the biggest confusing point - people claim it is due to heat loss, but honestly haven't seen a lot of dependence on the discharge rate. But regardless of the reason, it means that your trip meter kWh will always be significantly less than your charging screen kWh additions.

But in any case the projected range starts out about right at 100% battery, and when you get to just a few %, it's actually potentially pessimistic, because it's not accounting for the buffer (which is probably good since you really probably don't want to dig into that...)

Anyway, for example:

That buffer was the same one discovered by Bjorn right? It’s basically Tesla’s version of a “reserve” tank right? Where an additional 3-5 kw are reserved at the end of the battery?

That buffer was the same one discovered by Bjorn right? It’s basically Tesla’s version of a “reserve” tank right? Where an additional 3-5 kw are reserved at the end of the battery?

I'm not sure it was discovered by Bjorn, but certainly he has covered the buffer. It's not a region of the battery you want to be using as you are subject to shut down, especially if you push the car hard when you're close to empty and droop the voltage too much.