Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR AWD+ vs. Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, Long time lurker here. I know there have been lots of comparisons between LR AWD+ and Performance model 3, and even Y vs 3. I'd be curious though if anyone has compared the 3 AWD+ vs MYP. On paper the model Y has a huge power advantage, but is it enough to overcome the weight? I've seen some videos comparing the M3P vs AWD+ and they are within spitting distance of one another, especially the top end.

FullI disclosure: I have my AWD on order eagerly awaiting my pickup date. A interesting thought experiment at least while I await my car.

I've had the same question, and i haven't seen any reviews or videos that directly compare both. If you look at all the ones that exist individually, you can come up with a pretty good idea. Some of the dragy results show the performance model Y is doing 3.7 to 3.8 0-60 on the uberturbine wheels, but with swapped wheels around 3.4 (3.27 with rollout). 1/4 mi is in the low 12 second range.

LIke the post above mine, AWD+ has slight edge in 1/4, but loses that edge to a performance Y with lighter wheels. Lots of the QAD+ members here are getting in the 3.7s on 0-60, and high 11s for 1/4 mi.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
@dimachaerus that's pretty much exactly the mental exercise I went through and came to the same conclusion. That would be a fun set of races to run through. Hopefully someone does that someday.

However, I would not be surprised if Tesla eventually bumps the performance numbers on the MYP once they get some more data. I feel like there is a huge potential there they haven't really played with yet.

The ultra rare Stealth Y's on the 19" Gemini wheels are right around 3.40. A Dragy run did 3.66 (3.41 w/ 1' rollout). Not sure what the 1/4 mile time's are but I'd imagine probably 11.8 or 11.9, right in line with an AWD+ or possibly a smidge quicker. At nearly 80 pounds, the Ubertine's are heavy ass wheels but they can hit the 3.5 w/ 1' rollout but probably suffer on the top end pull and slower than the AWD+ in the 1/4 mile for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Apologies. I realized I was quoting wheel plus tire weight, but checking back - it came in at 68.8 pounds for the rear wheel/weight together. Still exceptionally heavy.

Still a boat anchor. I've got 265/30 - 20s on the front and 275 / 30 - 20s on the rear with vs forged (9.5 in front and 10.5 in the rear) and the fronts are 45 lbs and the rears 50lbs. Can't imagine adding basically 19lb to that!