Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't done this but my thoughts are this: Tesla (nor any reputable company) is not going to abscond with your $. If you end up rejecting it I am sure there's a process to easily have that payment either sent back to you directly or to the bank. People tend to worry about things like this but in the end it's really not a concern as there's a clear paper trail even if they were to play games...which they do not.
thanks, I’m not concerned that I would lose my money. Just wondering about the logistical fiasco of having to start paying a car loan while you wait indefinitely for another VIN to be assigned if you reject delivery. FWIW here is the response I got from my SA:

“It's always most efficient to bring payment with you. In that event, our financing team in California would refund payment, however it can take 6-8 weeks. To provide the best experience, either electronic payment from your Tesla App, or a Certified/Cashier's check is best!”

Last edited:
Thanks for responding…I totally agree that Tesla won’t disappear with your money. I was just thinking about how if you end up rejecting the car on delivery day, you may end up

thanks, I’m not concerned that I would lose my money. Just wondering about the logistical fiasco of having to start paying a car loan while you wait indefinitely for another VIN to be assigned if you reject delivery. FWIW here is the response I got from my SA:

“It's always most efficient to bring payment with you. In that event, our financing team in California would refund payment, however it can take 6-8 weeks. To provide the best experience, either electronic payment from your Tesla App, or a Certified/Cashier's check is best!”
I imagine the bank would have something to say to have a car loan without collateral. That's what would make me concerned. They have an agreement to have their $ secured against a specific title/VIN. How does that work if the check is deposited by Tesla?

VIN today - 168XXX - received via email at 9:41pm, not text
Delivery estimate Feb 13-19
Delivery scheduled for Feb 15 - loan approval expires on the 16th so just making it under the wire.

SA texted me that I need to have insurance with Tesla VIN active 5 days before pickup for title company.
That is a weird Tesla exception - every other car I've ever purchased has been covered under a 30-day grace period from my various insurance companies.

Rather disappointed. My white/black/18" order from 11-20 and originally scheduled before the end of the year was pushed out to April today. No holds and everything was completed right away. Reached out to tesla (very polity) today for the first time to see there might be something wrong with my account and the only reply I received was:

1. “What’s my ETA? My ETA has changed? I can’t find my ETA? When do I get a VIN?”
- Your estimated delivery date is not guaranteed and is available in your Tesla Account. We'll notify you when your VIN is assigned and when it's time to schedule your delivery appointment.

Not even an Hi. I'm going to sleep on it but my gut is telling me tesla is not the car for me.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
My EDD just got pushed a bit, from 2/5-2/19 to 2/9-2/22 (MSM/Black/Aero, Seattle area). My EDD at order in mid-Nov. was Jan. ‘22, but it’s not surprising I’m moving further into Feb. given all the holds folks had late last year for BBB and then earlier this year for the chip and battery updates.
Same boat as you. Ordered M3LR on 11/18.
EDD for me was also Jan '22, now its 2/7 - 2/21 but has not changed yet even though it's the 7th today.

Reactions: PK_Seattle
Rather disappointed. My white/black/18" order from 11-20 and originally scheduled before the end of the year was pushed out to April today. No holds and everything was completed right away. Reached out to tesla (very polity) today for the first time to see there might be something wrong with my account and the only reply I received was:

1. “What’s my ETA? My ETA has changed? I can’t find my ETA? When do I get a VIN?”
- Your estimated delivery date is not guaranteed and is available in your Tesla Account. We'll notify you when your VIN is assigned and when it's time to schedule your delivery appointment.

Not even an Hi. I'm going to sleep on it but my gut is telling me tesla is not the car for me.
Hey, I also ordered on 11/18.

I was originally communicated January, then my EDD went to April, then January, then December and they Assigned me a VIN in December which I declined. New EDD 2/7 - 2/21.

Nothing is final until you have a VIN, as it literally jumped by months for me within days.
You will extremely likely get it sooner due to the age of your original order, and if not, you will more than likely at the absolute latest get it in March for EOQ. Very possible for delivery beforehand though.

Hey, I also ordered on 11/18.

I was originally communicated January, then my EDD went to April, then January, then December and they Assigned me a VIN in December which I declined. New EDD 2/7 - 2/21.

Nothing is final until you have a VIN, as it literally jumped by months for me within days.
You will extremely likely get it sooner due to the age of your original order, and if not, you will more than likely at the absolute latest get it in March for EOQ. Very possible for delivery beforehand though.
In my case I never turned anything down and the delivery date only went one direction-farther out. Currently sits 4/25-5/23 from an 11-20 order.

Sorry to hear that... Customer service and communication is definitely not Tesla's forte... As Kyle mentioned, I would wait a few more days because I bet your EDD will change again for the better. Not sure why they do this, makes no sense.
If it makes you feel any better, I am just shy of 4 weeks in (OD 1/12) and have yet to get any sort of communication from my advisor. I finally emailed them last night asking who my advisor is, we'll see if I get a response... But I promise you the car is so worth it.

Reviewing this wonderful sheet, here are some interesting patterns

1. Black color takes an additional 17-20 days to receive VIN compared to average (57 days vs 39 days)
  2. Red color takes an additional 6-7 days to receive VIN compared to average (45 days vs 39 days)
  3. For most orders, you'll likely receive your VIN one week after your one month order anniversary. E.g. 30 days + 1 Week.
  4. No advantage where you order from (West Coast, Mountain, Midwest, East Coast) to when you get your VIN assigned
  5. West Coast typically receives delivery 1 week earlier than other orders (likely due to shipping)
  6. Orders with performance tires (19" vs 18") tend to receive their VINs 10 days sooner (44 Days vs 34 days)
  7. No advantage to changing interior colors between black or white in terms of receiving a VIN sooner or later.
  8. This is likely noise in the data (not enough entries). But leases tend to taking ~10 days longer to get VIN. But I think that's just garbage data. Not enough inputs in the form.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that... Customer service and communication is definitely not Tesla's forte... As Kyle mentioned, I would wait a few more days because I bet your EDD will change again for the better. Not sure why they do this, makes no sense.
If it makes you feel any better, I am just shy of 4 weeks in (OD 1/12) and have yet to get any sort of communication from my advisor. I finally emailed them last night asking who my advisor is, we'll see if I get a response... But I promise you the car is so worth it.
My first communication from tesla was an email a couple of weeks ago.

It may or may not be the car for you ( I am not debating that), nor trying to make light of it. One thing I would point out is, The people manning the text / emails probably answer that specific question a hundred times a day or more, as people constantly reach out about their ETAs.

Multiply all the "My Estimated Delivery date did XXX" here, with all the people who are not on this website and doing the same thing, and I would imagine there is likely some frustration on their part at constantly answering that exact question when they dont have any more information than the customer already has.

That doesnt excuse lack of politeness, but it does EXPLAIN it. You likely wouldnt have liked the answer much whether they put pleasentries in there or not, and for each person who wants to have some pleasentries in there, there are others who are "get to the point".

I dont work for tesla or nor have any specific knowledge of their inner workings, however I have, in my own career, either performed, or managed, customer service roles for my entire career (almost 40 years now). Some things are the same no matter what industry the support is in, and one of those things is the very human nature to get annoyed at being asked the same question, that you can do nothing about, 100 times a day.

It may or may not be the car for you ( I am not debating that), nor trying to make light of it. One thing I would point out is, The people manning the text / emails probably answer that specific question a hundred times a day or more, as people constantly reach out about their ETAs.

Multiply all the "My Estimated Delivery date did XXX" here, with all the people who are not on this website and doing the same thing, and I would imagine there is likely some frustration on their part at constantly answering that exact question when they dont have any more information than the customer already has.

That doesnt excuse lack of politeness, but it does EXPLAIN it. You likely wouldnt have liked the answer much whether they put pleasentries in there or not, and for each person who wants to have some pleasentries in there, there are others who are "get to the point".

I dont work for tesla or nor have any specific knowledge of their inner workings, however I have, in my own career, either performed, or managed, customer service roles for my entire career (almost 40 years now). Some things are the same no matter what industry the support is in, and one of those things is the very human nature to get annoyed at being asked the same question, that you can do nothing about, 100 times a day.
Honestly, if there were some pleasantries in there and not an exact word for word copy and past of a portion of the email I replied to with nothing else I would have been disappointed but not annoyed. This was the first time I reached out to them after almost 3 months and was just wondering if there is something wrong with my account or something I should have done that I did not.

Honestly, if there were some pleasantries in there and not an exact word for word copy and past of a portion of the email I replied to with nothing else I would have been disappointed but not annoyed. This was the first time I reached out to them after almost 3 months and was just wondering if there is something wrong with my account or something I should have done that I did not.

I understand that, and if this were escalated to me as a manager for that department, I would be reminding all the workers:

"Please remember, for you, this may be 1 of 150 interactions on a topic for the day, for the customer it may be the 1st contact, please remember to treat each interaction as if you were face to face with the customer". Im also an old school person when it comes to customer service, and I value customer relationships (and am willing to pay extra for them).

As I said, it doesnt excuse the situation, it just explains it.

A better way to get the experience that some people want from tesla, is to actually drive down to a tesla store, do a test drive, and then order with the SA at the store that helps you. Then you have "An assigned SA at the store" vs "A random pool of people who handle all web orders". Once you place the order on the web, however, going down to the store will not switch your order to being assigned to someone specific.