Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Question - I am picking up my LR 3 Thursday morning and very stoked. Question is whether you can select FSD to take a specific route between 2 locations. I have a route from home to work that is probably not the shortest way to go and I don't think a GPS would ever take one that way. However, it avoids two very frustrating intersections and is much more enjoyable of a trip. In FSD, am I stuck with the most "efficient" route the GPS would take, or can I customize a route and have FSD drive that route? Thanks.
You're definitely going to be limited to the routes the Navigation system chooses. I think (?) I heard that Tesla now has the ability to select between a few alternate routes when you tell the car your destination. But if it's a very wonky route that an algorithm would find illogical, then I suspect it won't even prompt that as a viable option.
However, you could still take manual control to take the exit/street you want, and I'd imagine that on a re-route, the car might at least get you the next chunk of the way there, take manual control again to do what you want, and then let it get the next chunk on FSD.

Summer time...hopefully lol lol :cool: 8th Update: June 1 - June 30. Still no VIN

Order Date:
13 Feb
EDD: Feb - Mar
2 EDD: Apr - May
3 EDD: Mar 26 - Mar 31
4 EDD: Mar 27 - Mar 31
5 EDD: Apr 27 - Jun 1
6 EDD: Jun 20 - Jun 30
7 EDD: Apr 27 - May 27
8 EDD: June 1 - June 30
Model
3 Highland: RWD
Color: Black
Interior: White
Wheels: 18" Photon

FSD Question - I am picking up my LR 3 Thursday morning and very stoked. Question is whether you can select FSD to take a specific route between 2 locations. I have a route from home to work that is probably not the shortest way to go and I don't think a GPS would ever take one that way. However, it avoids two very frustrating intersections and is much more enjoyable of a trip. In FSD, am I stuck with the most "efficient" route the GPS would take, or can I customize a route and have FSD drive that route? Thanks.
You can try waypoints, but it will still select the most efficient way to get to that waypoint and then to your destination. So not sure if it is worth the hassle because the car will stop once it reaches the first waypoint and you’ll have to remove it from the map to continue your trip.

Reactions: LobsterLover
Update: Took delivery yesterday, and FSD got transferred under 18 hours from accepting delivery. They had to go manual form for this transfer for me, but all worked out great. My 2018 M3 lost FSD the same time my new 2024 M3 gained it. Too bad summon is still not available for HW4 as it does for HW3. I don't see that option on my app now for the new 2024 M3.
Awesome thanks for the update. I will pick mine up on Saturday, hopefully I won’t need to wait too long to get FSD

You're definitely going to be limited to the routes the Navigation system chooses. I think (?) I heard that Tesla now has the ability to select between a few alternate routes when you tell the car your destination. But if it's a very wonky route that an algorithm would find illogical, then I suspect it won't even prompt that as a viable option.
However, you could still take manual control to take the exit/street you want, and I'd imagine that on a re-route, the car might at least get you the next chunk of the way there, take manual control again to do what you want, and then let it get the next chunk on FSD.
You can add a fake” stop in the middle of your personal choice route to work. Then the car will navigate that way. Delete it before reaching the imaginary stop and continue to your final destination.

So here’s a question for the hive.

I have heard via several you tube channels that Tesla’s paint has not been very good in the past and Paint protection film (PPF) was kinda a requirement if you intend on keeping the car for a long time (I do). I’m considering it.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I don’t know guysI’m extremely happy my date moved to May 2 - 16
Still no vin
And on Tesla’s website the performance says June now.
I just hope my date doesn’t change For the 12th time.. but honestly, I’m very grateful that Tesla took so long to do the long range white interior because I really wanted the performance when I ordered the long range back in January
But they didn’t offer it and I knew it would be more than I wanted to spend and wait for at the time
especially because I’m doing cash
And I don’t know how the universe made it come to be that the performance comes out before I get my long range Be able to switch to it and actually save money and receive a better delivery date..
So I don’t feel like I’m owed something from Tesla anymore like believe me I did and I’m sure deep down we all still do

I’m just hoping we don’t fall into the same pattern starting from the beginning now

I have heard via several you tube channels that Tesla’s paint has not been very good in the past and Paint protection film (PPF) was kinda a requirement if you intend on keeping the car for a long time (I do). I’m considering it.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I have a 2020 white/white LR that I've put 130k miles on (almost exclusively highway miles). I'd say the paint has held up pretty well. Certainly a few small rock chips etc, but it hasn't been worse than any other cars I've owned. I never did any PPF, ceramic coating etc either. Keep in mind I live in CA, so weather is significantly different than NY.

Reactions: catxi and evfangirl

Thoughts? Opinions?
Yeah, I feel like we definitely gotta do something to the car when we get it either PPF film the whole thing or at least ceramic coated. I know it doesn’t protect from the chips, but I might have the front done, but I know ceramic will definitely protect the paint if you don’t want to put, the film all over … but yeah, good question cause I’ve been thinking the same thing

Reactions: evfangirl

Thoughts? Opinions?

I traded in a 2019 Model 3 SR+ for my 2024. I never put any type of PPF or ceramic on it. The paint looked as good when I traded it in as the day I took it home. Maybe because it was Multicoat Red.

Reactions: catxi and evfangirl
Question: I have an EDD of July 13 - Aug 24th. If i modify my order and change to a M3P, why is the federal tax incentive not being applied under the total? The only savings shown are the gas savings. I am staying under the 55,000 MSRP with only the white interior being changed, so not sure why this is happening.

It's been a few years, but I'm back to the fray with you all again, waiting impatiently for my new M3P (BL/B). EDD is June 2024. I wonder if Tesla is going to do any extras for new performance buyers. Like, finding a die-cast model in the glove box or something cool like that. Seems Tesla has shifted away from that sort of cool 'perks' though.

On a side note, I've decided to keep supporting Cave Johnson's dream, so I've ordered the same livery vinyls again but in metallic silver. Should look pretty nice on the blue I think!

Question: I have an EDD of July 13 - Aug 24th. If i modify my order and change to a M3P, why is the federal tax incentive not being applied under the total? The only savings shown are the gas savings. I am staying under the 55,000 MSRP with only the white interior being changed, so not sure why this is happening.
Once you order, in the app when you go through the additional options, you have the option then to sign your tax rebate over to Tesla, enter your SSN, etc., and they'll take it off the purchase price when you do your financial paperwork. You won't see that total reflected until you're at the point of doing your purchase paperwork, which for my wife's MYLR earlier this year it wasn't until a few days before delivery before I got all of the official numbers.

I have a 2020 white/white LR that I've put 130k miles on (almost exclusively highway miles). I'd say the paint has held up pretty well. Certainly a few small rock chips etc, but it hasn't been worse than any other cars I've owned. I never did any PPF, ceramic coating etc either. Keep in mind I live in CA, so weather is significantly different than NY.
I second that, have a 2020 white on white haven’t had any problem in over 4 years, of course I also live in SoCal as well.
To me personally PPF is cost prohibitive. You spend thousands of $s to protect something that can be renewed at the same or even less cost.

Thoughts? Opinions?
See this new thread.

Also, I did my whole car. Not because it needed it. Because I was excited about my new car and interested in learning a new skill and buying some new tools.

Reactions: evfangirl
See this new thread.
Wow. Thanks for that info. PS. I love this site. I’ve found lots of useful info on different threads. Specifically about battery health and keeping the degradation to a minimum.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I like the peace of mind that PPF gives me. But I also got matte PPF so it added further value in my mind to both protect the car and change the look a little. But I’ll tell you what. It’s really nice not having to baby the paint when cleaning. Heck there have been times I’ve spot cleaned areas like it was a kitchen counter. Just sprayed some detail spray onto a dirty area and wiped it right off with a towel. I know some might say I shouldn’t do that even with PPF but 3 years later it still looks good as new.