Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow thanks for all this info. I have a late-May OD and my EDD changed only once about one month ago. No movement since
Np. Again I'm just going from the bits and pieces I find out but it seems to make sense to me based on what I'm seeing as well so I do trust the info. As a Cali order with a May OD you will almost certainly be looking at a car in September.

Np. Again I'm just going from the bits and pieces I find out but it seems to make sense to me based on what I'm seeing as well so I do trust the info. As a Cali order with a May OD you will almost certainly be looking at a car in September.
That’s reassuring to hear. Right now, 9/16 is the absolute earliest EDD for me but just getting a car any time in September will be great

Reactions: ZZ118
That’s reassuring to hear. Right now, 9/16 is the absolute earliest EDD for me but just getting a car any time in September will be great
Again just looking at the past you will likely get a VIN and a delivery within a few day window at the end of quarter push (September). They literally seem to give a VIN and then call and say were driving the car over lol. Make sure as September is approaching you are carefully monitoring your EDD and have the money/insurance/etc lined up because they seem to be very fast moving and will likely bump your order if you can't take delivery asap.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaheem
If we already have a VIN assigned that means our cars have already shipped right? Really hoping ours isn’t sitting at the factory still.
Nope I got a VIN on Tuesday and SA said it’s still in production when I asked about mfg date. No notice to schedule delivery yet and EDD hasn’t moved. Cars can get from Fremont to my local SC in Seattle area in about 2 days from what I’ve seen. If it was completed on Tuesday I should have been able to take delivery by Friday or Saturday, but again no notice from Tesla yet.

Given that the factory is supposedly on pause for maintenance they probably just generated the VIN based on just having all the parts for it and it’s in line to get made as soon as the factory starts up again.

I think you get a text saying when your car leaves the factory.
Certainly no such texting was taking place back in March. My SA didn't originate any texts except to confirm that I wanted to take delivery, and a request for an updated odometer picture on my trade-in. I got the VIN through the app, and I selected my delivery date through the app. If I wanted any information, I has to ask for it.
He confirmed, what that video also showed, that they are currently on maintenance.
As another bit of information, Berlin and Shanghai are also doing maintenance. I haven't seen anything about Austin, but as they're ramping, I'd expect a pause while they reconfigure and upgrade their lines.

Berlin is down for two weeks starting July 11 as they continue to work on ramping production.

Shanghai is stopping their Model Y line for the first two weeks in July, then the Model 3 line is stopped for three weeks starting July 18.

Fremont is the most established plant, so they're probably just doing normal maintenance.

Something to keep in mind is that Tesla regularly changes the way they build their cars (the Munro Associated videos show this stuff). Instead of running two wires separately, they might combine them into a single run with one connector. Or they may change installation of a plastic piece from three snaps to two. Or a conduit might route along a different path. Whatever. Not only do they have to sometimes provide different parts on the line, they also have to train the people on the line for the new process to assemble them.

The three weeks of work on the Model 3 line at Shanghai makes me wonder if some improvements are coming to the Model 3. When Tesla does something like that, they do it at Shanghai first.
As a Cali order with a May OD you will almost certainly be looking at a car in September.
I looked at the order spreadsheet, and Tesla got through 40 days of orders in Q2. If they get through another 40 days in Q3, that will get them from 24 March through 4 May (roughly). @phaheem's order is 23 May. The first EDD is usually the most accurate.

I'll post this again since it seems to get buried... TESLA does maintenance and slows down lines in the first month of a quarter. We are in that month right now. A few orders may squeek thru but if you are on the schedule ( March-May) for a car this quarter you will likely NOT be getting a car until August or September. This can always change but you should plan at that time frame at this moment. If the lines are shut for maintenance nothing will speed up your order.
I went to a Tesla dealer with a friend who is looking a couple of days ago and was talking to the SA about this actually. He confirmed, what that video also showed, that they are currently on maintenance. He said Tesla has told them to start expecting NY cars by the end of July. So since it takes about 2 weeks to ship his guess was sometime next week the lines would start up again. He also said they may not fully ramp up though right away but he's not sure of the logistics of that. A few other people have also posted around the forums here that they were told similar things that Tesla would shut down for the week of fourth of July.

In the video and also what people are reporting you can see there are a few leftover cars. Tesla's own Q2 report confirms that they made about 4000 more cars then sold so likely still a few outstanding Q2 orders that for one reason or another didn't ger delivered. So some people might still get their car very soon especially if they were supposed to be Q2, probably more West Coast I'd assume.

Very soon the factory will be up and running. Tesla only makes money when YOU actually take the car (unlike a normal dealer) so they are very incentivized to get the lines moving. The video also showed the gigapress is running and possibly the paint lines? so once the production lines restart things should start cranking again.

Things are at a standstill right now so patience is key. My EDD hasn't moved in 2 weeks but thats ok since no one else really has either and this is the reason why. If someone is looking to upgrade to P just to jump a line this isn't a good time to do it though.
ZZ thanks so much for keeping us in the loop! 🤗

Reactions: Nfletcher and ZZ118
Certainly no such texting was taking place back in March. My SA didn't originate any texts except to confirm that I wanted to take delivery, and a request for an updated odometer picture on my trade-in. I got the VIN through the app, and I selected my delivery date through the app. If I wanted any information, I has to ask for it.

As another bit of information, Berlin and Shanghai are also doing maintenance. I haven't seen anything about Austin, but as they're ramping, I'd expect a pause while they reconfigure and upgrade their lines.

Berlin is down for two weeks starting July 11 as they continue to work on ramping production.

Shanghai is stopping their Model Y line for the first two weeks in July, then the Model 3 line is stopped for three weeks starting July 18.

Fremont is the most established plant, so they're probably just doing normal maintenance.

Something to keep in mind is that Tesla regularly changes the way they build their cars (the Munro Associated videos show this stuff). Instead of running two wires separately, they might combine them into a single run with one connector. Or they may change installation of a plastic piece from three snaps to two. Or a conduit might route along a different path. Whatever. Not only do they have to sometimes provide different parts on the line, they also have to train the people on the line for the new process to assemble them.

The three weeks of work on the Model 3 line at Shanghai makes me wonder if some improvements are coming to the Model 3. When Tesla does something like that, they do it at Shanghai first.

I looked at the order spreadsheet, and Tesla got through 40 days of orders in Q2. If they get through another 40 days in Q3, that will get them from 24 March through 4 May (roughly). @phaheem's order is 23 May. The first EDD is usually the most accurate.
Yeah but I beg to disagree. First that spread sheet isn't 100% accurate especially from June as many vins were given quickly I doubt people went and updated the spreadsheet. With May 23rd and Cali I think he'll probably be part of the q3 push. Tesla seems to extend their deliveries to ater ODs in Cali to boost numbers.

Last edited:
Yeah but I beg to disagree. First that spread sheet isn't 100% accurate especially from June as many vins were given quickly I doubt people went and updated the spreadsheet. With May 23rd and Cali I think he'll probably be part of the q3 push. Tesla seems to extend their deliveries to ater ODs in Cali to boost numbers.
I'm just reporting what I saw in the spreadsheet. It's certainly nowhere near exhaustive data. We'll have to wait and see if the pattern holds. It may be that the large number of orders around March just slowed everything down, and that the number of days of orders that they can fill per quarter will rise significantly. Rising interest rates may also cause folks to remove a significant number of orders. We'll just have to wait and see.
That was an old consensus the new one is about 4 months/120 days.
The spreadsheet says 96 days for base configuration and 87 days for upgraded configurations. Same disclaimer as above; it's not exhaustive data. White I don't have the Q1 numbers, Q2's are much higher. However, Q2 may prove to be the anomaly, and wait times may not get any longer. Wait and see. Wait and see.

My first EDD was Oct 24-Dec 19 - nearly 60 day window. You really think Tesla is 5-6 months behind on their M3LR production? I thought the consensus was that it’s about a 100-day wait from order to delivery for the M3LR
No, I think your 2nd EDD is more accurate. I know we are on opposite sides (east vs west) but my OD is 12 May with an EDD of sept - Oct and that is where you are at now. I think that is accurate. I would think end of September for you but I could be wrong. I’m really hoping mine is my current EDD since that puts me at the 100 day mark, but middle of September would be 130 days. I think the real question is how many people ordered in Apr- May timeframe. But hopefully we know the answer in a couple of months!

Reactions: IWRBR and phaheem
No, I think your 2nd EDD is more accurate. I know we are on opposite sides (east vs west) but my OD is 12 May with an EDD of sept - Oct and that is where you are at now. I think that is accurate. I would think end of September for you but I could be wrong. I’m really hoping mine is my current EDD since that puts me at the 100 day mark, but middle of September would be 130 days. I think the real question is how many people ordered in Apr- May timeframe. But hopefully we know the answer in a couple of months!
I’m a may 23rd ODD, and my current EDD is sept 1-Oct 6. I’m east coast. Pretty much same boat as both of you.

Reactions: HeatherW22
I'm just reporting what I saw in the spreadsheet. It's certainly nowhere near exhaustive data. We'll have to wait and see if the pattern holds. It may be that the large number of orders around March just slowed everything down, and that the number of days of orders that they can fill per quarter will rise significantly. Rising interest rates may also cause folks to remove a significant number of orders. We'll just have to wait and see.

The spreadsheet says 96 days for base configuration and 87 days for upgraded configurations. Same disclaimer as above; it's not exhaustive data. White I don't have the Q1 numbers, Q2's are much higher. However, Q2 may prove to be the anomaly, and wait times may not get any longer. Wait and see. Wait and see.
I wish people took more time on this forum to update that spreadsheet. It really can be a useful tool. Unfortunately it only seems like a fraction of a fraction do. Like you said well see :)

I’m a may 23rd ODD, and my current EDD is sept 1-Oct 6. I’m east coast. Pretty much same boat as both of you.
April 11th OD, I've had 2 EDDs, my current one, and another that was like a week later I've forgotten what it was but not far off. My estimated delivery puts me 124-159 days from order to delivery. Obviously I hope to get it sooner but with Fremont currently in maintenance and there still being outstanding march orders. I imagine that 120 day window or higher is going to be accurate for most people. I think we will know better in a week or two once Fremont fires back up.

Heading out of CONUS tomorrow for a long planned vacation. I was concerned that it might conflict with a possible vin notification. However, they way things are looking now that concern has faded as the Fremont factory isn’t really working on production anyway. Called Tesla and they noted my situation for future reference. Patiently waiting.