Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a ? for you.....can you ask your condo folks to see if they are willing to setup a charger for you?

It would make sense if they can because they can advertise it when you leave as an EV charge spot.
I own everything walls inward so I have to do the install (or pay for it to be installed anyway). What encourages me is that one of my neighbors has a Tesla and Tesla Wall charger installed in her condo and it is the same floor plan as mine. However, what worries me is that my fuse box is completely full. I am going to have the electrician that installed her charger come and give me a quote. I also have 2 others that I want to provide quote.

Reactions: HeatherW22
Yeah, I am not going for super fast max charging here. I don't really drive a lot but I want to maintain my battery life as best as possible. I plan to do a few road trips every year also.
If you are going on some trips....are you close to a supercharger?

The included mobile charger gets between 2/3 miles per hour....that may make sense for you. However, when you want to go on a long trip then you might be able to hit a supercharger for long trips.

I own everything walls inward so I have to do the install (or pay for it to be installed anyway). What encourages me is that one of my neighbors has a Tesla and Tesla Wall charger installed in her condo and it is the same floor plan as mine. However, what worries me is that my fuse box is completely full. I am going to have the electrician that installed her charger come and give me a quote. I also have 2 others that I want to provide quote.
Since you own stuff it may require an upgrade to your panel if you run AC/Stove/etc.....what you have to look at is how much your charger will draw when other things are running.

Reactions: guerro
If you are going on some trips....are you close to a supercharger?

The included mobile charger gets between 2/3 miles per hour....that may make sense for you. However, when you want to go on a long trip then you might be able to hit a supercharger for long trips.
Yeah, the closest supercharger is about 30 miles from me in Scottsdale. I see where others are going in but right now, that's the closest. My plan is to get a Nema 14-50 installed with a 60 amp then use the mobile connector. This also allows for a "standard" ev outlet in the garage if I ever decide to sell and move. Luckiest part is my wall panel in the garage is right where I want my charge outlet. I would guess it will only take 5-6 feet of cable to run it.

Not an expert but maybe just set the car to charge at night when you're sleeping.
That should be the norm for EV owners anyway. Electrical load is lowest overnight, and that's when EVs can be drawing power with the least impact on the infrastructure. The car can be told to wait until a certain time of day to start charging, and the app provides access to that feature as well. I just tell mine to charge starting at midnight, plug in and that's it; in the morning it's charged. That's with the 32 amp 14-50 NEMA outlet and a mobile connector. Upgrade to the corded connector and you're running at 40 amps. I'll be switching to that in a couple days. The corded connector is better suited to daily charging and the mobile connector can stay in the car. Sadly, they're out of stock again.

It just occurred to me that I might want to pick a time other than exactly midnight. Every EV owner out there is probably doing the same, causing a spike in power demand right then. Perhaps Tesla will work with power companies to figure out a load control mechanism so that any increase in load is smoothed out.

Wouldn't worry too much about that. The average ac uses 5-10 amps and the grid is very robust. The increase amps for the car is off set by the decreased demand at night. However what I can see happening overtime with more EVs is that night time starts becoming a new peak hour and the saving rates go out the window.