Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read from multiple sources that Tesla plans to change the batteries in the model Y and 3 for next year. They will be switching to lithium iron phosphate batteries from the current lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide. Apparently these batteries are much cheaper to produce so the prices are expected to drop by 8-10K US.
I am curious the look at those sources and I also call massive bullshit on those claims. If Tesla was about to roll that out in that short amount of time given where the TSLA stock sits at right now, Elon would be tweeting about it non stop. It's not happening IMO.

I read from multiple sources that Tesla plans to change the batteries in the model Y and 3 for next year. They will be switching to lithium iron phosphate batteries from the current lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide. Apparently these batteries are much cheaper to produce so the prices are expected to drop by 8-10K US.

LiFePh batteries had already been rolled out in asia, europe and australia. all of which are m3 MIC (or made in china).
and 8-10k USD drop by next year eh? damn.. thats a difference of a LR now to a Performance model next year that i could have had..

but nah. im sticking to my guns. cannot WAIT!

LiFePh batteries had already been rolled out in asia, europe and australia. all of which are m3 MIC (or made in china).
and 8-10k USD drop by next year eh? damn.. thats a difference of a LR now to a Performance model next year that i could have had..

but nah. im sticking to my guns. cannot WAIT!
I belive you guys are mixing things up. There was a minor battery update from ~70kwh to 82kwh that started out on performance model and later other models by swapping battery supplier. But there is a coming redesign of the battery packs using the 4680 cells which will begin on cybertruck then s plaid+ etc. You can’t have the tread about the infrastructure bill coming in increasing prices while claiming price will go down because of magic batteries. I mean if there really was a major battery upgrade in the works there would be a massive sticky thread in the battery section.

not a thing. Also prices going up, not down. My 2c

I think I will stick to my guns as well. I plan on driving this car for a long time. When Im ready to trade in for something new in 6-7 years Im sure the car will still be worth 10k or so, and by that point I will just upgrade to the latest and greatest at that specific point in time. Im sure by then the new 3's will be getting 750KM+ in range.

Reactions: EVxdream and ZYaj
I think I will stick to my guns as well. I plan on driving this car for a long time. When Im ready to trade in for something new in 6-7 years Im sure the car will still be worth 10k or so, and by that point I will just upgrade to the latest and greatest at that specific point in time. Im sure by then the new 3's will be getting 750KM+ in range.
I see no reason for Tesla to lower prices. They easily sell their entire production. There is a far better chance that out-the-door prices in Ontario could go down when the current provincial government gets voted out next year, and its replacement reintroduces EV rebates that were cancelled in 2018.

I don't particularly care about depreciation or trade-in values. I drive my cars until they no longer operate reliably or they rust out, which is usually 10+ years. At that point, nobody wants it as a trade in :)

I believe that Tesla did indicate that eventually they would be going to LFP batteries for all Model 3 SR+ builds, not just the Chinese ones. Power density for LFP is lower than the current batteries, so it would not be possible to fit an 82 kWh LFP pack in a LR or P, it would be too large.

Will do. Was strange, I have refresh addiction on the vin lookup in page source, lol, and I swear it finally showed up when I was taking a walk with my wife this morning. Got back home, was going to write it down, refreshed and now it's gone again. Don't think I viewed it in error, but we'll see. Would be nice if vin showed up, surely means within a tighter window for sure.
Are you going to keep all of it stock? Like the rims, keeping same color?

One can only hope. Perhaps our cars will be on the same truck. What a beauty they will be with that configuration.

Everyone talking about their SA... shoot at least you guys got one. I havnt even been reached out to lol. Maybe it's cause it's my 2nd tesla? Who knows.

Anyways... still at 5/21 - 6/10. Hasn't budged for days on end. Ordered 4/11 in West texas.

Anyone hear that the LR M3's are supposedly going to have a bigger battery now? I heard they should be getting 20 more miles of range.
There is a minor battery upgrade from a change of battery supplier. The new 82kwh batteries have an WLTP rating of 34km more than the 70ish kwh batteries. WLTP usually overestimate range by quite a lot. It is very unlikely that this change will result in more than 5-7mi - 15mi if generous on the EPA rating which probably explains why Tesla did not bother updating the US rating (which uses EPA instead of WLTP).

There is a minor battery upgrade from a change of battery supplier. The new 82kwh batteries have an WLTP rating of 34km more than the 70ish kwh batteries. WLTP usually overestimate range by quite a lot. It is very unlikely that this change will result in more than 5-7mi - 15mi if generous on the EPA rating which probably explains why Tesla did not bother updating the US rating (which uses EPA instead of WLTP).

When are they changing these batteries in the M3 Long Range? Is this something that has already started or is expected to begin in the future?

When are they changing these batteries in the M3 Long Range? Is this something that has already started or is expected to begin in the future?
It is on going. In some EU countries the configuration allegedly had 2 options on the long range: standard and "max range" or something to that effect. These cars are coming from the same factory as the ones for the North American market. So I believe those delivered in Q2-3 may have mixed versions based on availabilities of the "old" battery module and somewhere between now and end of the year all new models (LR) will have the 82kwh. The switchover for the P version occurred somewhere in Nov 2020.

TL;DR already started.