Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cant believe that is standard!
Yeah, having the car deal with stop and go traffic is the cat's meow. But lane keeping and following are becoming standard on all cars. I doubt many do it as well as Tesla, but the other companies have been kicked in the pants now and should place greater priority on getting it right. Many of the systems apparently just ping-pong from one side of the lane to the other because they use such a primitive system. So the marketing guys get to put another feature on the car's description, but I doubt anyone actually uses it.

I agree with you on the abruptness of the automatic lane changing. It should improve a bunch once the FSD Beta stuff trickles down into all the car's systems.
Going from 15 to like 45% however only took about 10 minutes so for a quick top off certainly do able. Good luck to everyone picking up soon!
I just want folks to realize that the speed of charging depends on the vehicle's state of charge (SoC). The battery management system for nickel-based batteries limits the pace of charging in order to minimize damage to the battery cells. I don't know much about iron-based battery charging other than they tolerate a lot more punishment.

Here's an article about the 2021 Model 3 Long Range and its battery performance.

This chart is from that article and it probably makes the point most clearly. It shows how the rate at which miles are added to the battery drops off as the battery charge level (SoC) increases. At 10%, you can put 20 miles/minute into the battery. But at 90%, you're down to around 3 miles/minute. You can see how trying to put 100 miles into the battery is going to take much longer at the high end.

img-tesla-model-3-lr-awd-2021-v3-sc-dcfc-range-replenishing-speed-20210710.png

The article goes into all sorts of detail about rates of charge for different year vehicles, different charging stations and so forth. The one common element to it all is that DC fast charging slows down as you try to load up the battery to ever higher SoC.

If you want to see a guy getting all hot and bothered about charging rates, watch some of Bjørn Nyland's videos about charging. He puts vehicle charging clips head to head and calls them like a horse race.

thats why i did mine when i did, because shortly after i applied and got locked in at 4.24%, they raised it to 4.49%.

I saw somewhere the feds might be raising rates again on 9/21
There is talk they may raise the rate another 100 basis points (1%) next week. Inflation is out of control. If I was a betting man I'd say the rates will be close to or above 5% by the next time they increase it. When I started this process in April I was quoted 2.29% (ended up getting 4.24% at delivery) so yeah...

Also they can technically raise rates after 30 days of a finance application but they rarely do. The application is valid for 60 days. When you agree to take delivery tesla will draft some preliminary papers up and at that point your rate should be locked.

* This is all tesla financing info

Reactions: guerro
Yeah, having the car deal with stop and go traffic is the cat's meow. But lane keeping and following are becoming standard on all cars. I doubt many do it as well as Tesla, but the other companies have been kicked in the pants now and should place greater priority on getting it right. Many of the systems apparently just ping-pong from one side of the lane to the other because they use such a primitive system. So the marketing guys get to put another feature on the car's description, but I doubt anyone actually uses it.

I agree with you on the abruptness of the automatic lane changing. It should improve a bunch once the FSD Beta stuff trickles down into all the car's systems.

I just want folks to realize that the speed of charging depends on the vehicle's state of charge (SoC). The battery management system for nickel-based batteries limits the pace of charging in order to minimize damage to the battery cells. I don't know much about iron-based battery charging other than they tolerate a lot more punishment.

Here's an article about the 2021 Model 3 Long Range and its battery performance.

This chart is from that article and it probably makes the point most clearly. It shows how the rate at which miles are added to the battery drops off as the battery charge level (SoC) increases. At 10%, you can put 20 miles/minute into the battery. But at 90%, you're down to around 3 miles/minute. You can see how trying to put 100 miles into the battery is going to take much longer at the high end.

img-tesla-model-3-lr-awd-2021-v3-sc-dcfc-range-replenishing-speed-20210710.png

The article goes into all sorts of detail about rates of charge for different year vehicles, different charging stations and so forth. The one common element to it all is that DC fast charging slows down as you try to load up the battery to ever higher SoC.

If you want to see a guy getting all hot and bothered about charging rates, watch some of Bjørn Nyland's videos about charging. He puts vehicle charging clips head to head and calls them like a horse race.
Now that I know what to look for I'm starting to notice other cars around me are probably using some type of autopilot as well. It seems like we are all kinda pulling on each other and starting/stopping at similar spots.

Yeah the laws of physics say a fast charging battery gets a lot of juice quickly but to squeeze the last few percent out takes forever. If you look at the curve you posted (and what I saw today) you can easily go from like 10-40% though in about 5-10 minutes which is wonderful if you don't have a lot of time.

Reactions: JB47394
Unbelievable, most important is everyone ok? and I hope the car is ok. I've been noticing the past few days how crappy drivers are around here since taking the new car. Almost got side swiped myself about 45 minutes after delivery.
Yeah everyone was ok. I was stopped at a red light, guy wasn’t paying attention, had air pods in, Saw the green light and just kept driving right into me… bumper got some damage, clips along the fender broke and it’s popped out a little, the worst is I got a crease/dent right in the middle of the trunk under the license plate.

I’m more upset that my carfax will be tarnished with an accident now.

Reactions: sf_michael
Yeah everyone was ok. I was stopped at a red light, guy wasn’t paying attention, had air pods in, Saw the green light and just kept driving right into me… bumper got some damage, clips along the fender broke and it’s popped out a little, the worst is I got a crease/dent right in the middle of the trunk under the license plate.

I’m more upset that my carfax will be tarnished with an accident now.
You should look into filing a diminished value claim on top of the repairs.

Reactions: ZZ118
There is talk they may raise the rate another 100 basis points (1%) next week. Inflation is out of control. If I was a betting man I'd say the rates will be close to or above 5% by the next time they increase it. When I started this process in April I was quoted 2.29% (ended up getting 4.24% at delivery) so yeah...

Also they can technically raise rates after 30 days of a finance application but they rarely do. The application is valid for 60 days. When you agree to take delivery tesla will draft some preliminary papers up and at that point your rate should be locked.

* This is all tesla financing info
So Im currently set at cash, and judging by my EDD date, do you think I should just apply for financing now?

Reactions: guerro
Just cancelled my mobile connector order from June and reordered new. Let's see if this really is the method to get it sooner.
Tesla has not yet responded to my question regarding my previous order.

What! Mine still hasn't haha.

You’re case is so odd lol they don’t like you maybe 🤔

At this point I'll have to ask for one at the pick up store haha
Same thing with my mobile connector. Ordered in May simultaneously with my car, never shipped. In August, ordered another one and it shipped/delivered immediately; canceled my May order. Tesla customer service gave me some bullshit about the mobile connector being revised blah blah

Same thing with my mobile connector. Ordered in May simultaneously with my car, never shipped. In August, ordered another one and it shipped/delivered immediately; canceled my May order. Tesla customer service gave me some bullshit about the mobile connector being revised blah blah
I reordered 2 days ago so maybe it hasn’t been enough time? How quickly did yours ship?