Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all those eagerly awaiting their M3s, curious how many of you are planning to go the PPF/wrap/ceramic route soon after taking delivery? Can’t decide if it’s worth the high expense; I live in northern New England but also plan to hopefully ride this car for 7+ years and haven’t been convinced it will help resale value at that length…..anyway just curious.

I’ve been meaning to ask….are you guys getting emails telling you your VIN? Or is it only visible if you login to your Tesla account? Or both?
For me, I just happened to check my manage order page, no email or text yet. When I checked I had the Tesla Vision acknowledgment waiting and when I accepted it it gave me my VIN right there.

For all those eagerly awaiting their M3s, curious how many of you are planning to go the PPF/wrap/ceramic route soon after taking delivery? Can’t decide if it’s worth the high expense; I live in northern New England but also plan to hopefully ride this car for 7+ years and haven’t been convinced it will help resale value at that length…..anyway just curious.
I’m planning on getting a full front PPF as soon as I take delivery. I already got a shop lined up. Just not sure how easy it is to get a date booked last minute as I don’t really know when this car is coming. Lol.

It won't help resale value unless you go private sale where the private buyer may appreciate the better shape it is in. Even then you won't come close to getting back what you put in.

PPF/Ceramic is more for your own enjoyment of the vehicle if paint damage( with side benefit of ease of washing) bothers you. Wraps will not prevent damage as they are too thin for any kind of protection. Plus resale value is the last thing in my mind. I do things for my own enjoyment over ownership of the vehicle. Not for the potential next owner.

I am getting full front, side rockers, and full trunk done in Xpel plus ceramic coating. Dropping it off after picking mine up Thursday. Will take it home, make sure it charges, enjoy it for a bit, then go drop it off. Already got lambasted though.... So will let you find out the cost I got quoted. :p But paint damage and scratches bother the crap out of me. I got the side rockers done on my Camaro after about 5000 miles, but even with that low mileage the rear panel just in front of the rear wheel well was already getting sand blasted from dirt before I got Xpel put on it. While it won't prevent a jerk from banging their door into my car, it will at least help protect the high impact areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: ytfsic
I definitely am. I Turo-rented a model 3 a few years back and had driven it over a gravel road for about 10 minutes. There were micro-scratches all along the back panel behind the rear tires just from that (and the owner wouldn't let me forget it). There are horror stories about paint on one of the pillars rusting over, I can't remember which one now, though. Here's an article about how road salt increases chances of rust, I know I'm not going to be vigilant about washing road salt off. I'll wash it but not right away. This corrosion guidance is probably true for most cars but the article seems to call out missing paint and fitment exacerbating the issue. The general guidance from other owners has been to hand wash the car to avoid swirls and stains on the paint. I know I'm not going to do that. So yeah, for me, I'm playing it safe and getting PPF'd up. No idea if any of these concerns are legit today but I'm not going to risk it. Besides, the blue looks so pretty when it's perfect. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kerbyOT7

I pick my car up tomorrow at 1pm, Im driving it straight home to my garage where it will sit until the following morning where its booked into the spa for 3 days. I am getting the front end done in PPF (bumper, both fenders, entire hood) , and then the entire car done in ceramic coating, as well as getting the windows tinted and callipers painted. Cost was $3000 including tax ($2480 US).

Will I get my money back? Probably not if I trade it in, but if I sell privately I know I will get at least half back. I have personal experience with that. People will pay more for a car that's been taken care of/has no scratches/no stone chips, etc. Plus Im a bit anal and love having nice things. Some people don't care, and for them it's probably better to just not spend the extra money. But if you're the type like me who has a big pride of ownership and likes to take care of their possessions then its worth it 100%

Last edited:
I pick my car up tomorrow at 1pm, Im driving it straight home to my garage where it will sit until the following morning where its booked into the spa for 3 days. I am getting the front end done in PPF (bumper, both fenders, entire hood) , and then the entire car done in ceramic coating, as well as getting the windows tinted and callipers painted. Cost was $3000 including tax ($2480 US).

Will I get my money back? Probably not if I trade it in, but if I sell privately I know I will get at least half back. I have personal experience with that. People will pay more for a car that's been taken care of/has no scratches/no stone chips, etc. Plus Im a bit anal and love having nice things. Some people don't care, and for them it's probably better to just not spend the extra money. But if you're the type like me who has a big pride of ownership and likes to take care of their possessions then its worth it 100%
Quick note of thanks to y'all on this forum. The local Seattle and PNW facebook groups are somewhat hostile to new or incoming owner questions about delivery, but y'all are great on here. I know it's partly because we're all in the same boat but thanks for being awesome, y'all.
I majorly second ytfsic; huge thanks to everyone for the amazingly helpful info and tips on this forum, and it has been nice to hear other’s experiences. Thank you to everyone for the treasure trove of experienced opinions on PPF. I have more thinking to do on this, as someone who is only now mature enough to take excellent care of things and has never before owned a car worth taking care of…..