Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you are trading the car for convenience, Tesla is giving you a screwing. They are not in the used car business and your trade goes right to the auction. I sold my last car to Carmax, my wife sold her high mileage Subaru to Carvana, it could not have been easier and they paid much more that the Tesla trade.

Unless you are trading the car for convenience, Tesla is giving you a screwing. They are not in the used car business and your trade goes right to the auction. I sold my last car to Carmax, my wife sold her high mileage Subaru to Carvana, it could not have been easier and they paid much more that the Tesla trade.
May I ask how your trade in with carvana/carmax went? How fast was the payment after appraisal?? Any tax?

Sure......

My wife had a 2009 Subaru Forester with 125k miles on it. It was in good condition, not great. It needed a few thousand dollars in work under the hood, they paid her $2500 and they came and picked up the car. You describe the car online with pics, copy of registration, title, etc. 2 days after the car was hauled away, no charge, they deposit the monies in her account. Easy.

I had a 2018 Nissan Leaf under a 3 year lease. With about 6 months left, Nissan gave me a buyout price of $15,800, Carmax bought my car for $17,400. They payoff the Nissan lease. I left with a check in hand for approx $1700. You log in to their site, answer questions about your car, and when you arrive they look over your car and if it as described they give you a check. They stand by their offer. The reason I could not do this deal with Carvana is because Carvana does not deal with Nissan leases, but CarMax does.

No tax in either case

Ooh, man. I know it's the cardinal sin to take a daily peek at estimated delivery date, buuuuut ...

I ordered the M3 LR in MSM color on 4/18. For days afterward, the estimated delivery date had been mid-to-late June. Then yesterday it bumped up to early-to-mid June. This morning? May 24 to June 13.

If I check it just a few more times today, I'll get delivery by this evening. That's how it works, right? ;)

cardinal sin 🤣

some people wake up in the morning and make coffee.
while other special beings.......................................................... refresh their phones ;)

Guess I have a better experience with Tesla. Trading in a 2013 Honda Civic, and Tesla's offer was on-par with KBB's dealer trade-in value. In Texas, I believe we'd also get a reduction of the new car's taxable value if trading in with the new car vendor (i.e., Tesla), so that's a few hundred dollars tax savings.

Being in TX, I assume I have to pay the full price prior to delivery.

I was going to finance, does anyone have recommendation? I use Chase for everything and will probably look into their autoloans.
I moved from Texas a while back, I believe you are right. I've had great luck with USAA and Southwest Airlines Credit union but you'd have to be working for or related to someone that's in the military/airline industry. I would go with a credit union, My girlfriends whole family uses Credit Union of Texas and they really like it, I've always heard good things. Alliance Credit Union is another that comes to mind.

Last edited:
I moved from Texas a while back, I believe you are right. I've had great luck with USAA and Southwest Airlines Credit union but you'd have to be working for or related to someone that's in the military/airline industry. I would go with a credit union, My girlfriends whole family uses Credit Union of Texas and they really like it, I've always heard good things. Alliance Credit Union is another that comes to mind.
Cool thanks. I have USAA, I'll look into that and Credit Union of Texas.

Guess I have a better experience with Tesla. Trading in a 2013 Honda Civic, and Tesla's offer was on-par with KBB's dealer trade-in value. In Texas, I believe we'd also get a reduction of the new car's taxable value if trading in with the new car vendor (i.e., Tesla), so that's a few hundred dollars tax savings.

Cindy
KBB is wholesale value. Did you run your car thru the Carmax and Carvana calculator?

Do you know if these updates come once a day and if its in the mornings? Are there cases where the dates keep moving randomly at any point of the day?

My case:
4/15 - Ordered LR AWD white with black interiors and 19"
4/16 - Estimated 6/10-6/30
4/23- Moved up to 6/1 - 6/21

Do you know if these updates come once a day and if its in the mornings? Are there cases where the dates keep moving randomly at any point of the day?

My case:
I ordered March 27th and the first few weeks I was all over the place with estimated delivery but the last week I am stuck at May 25-June 14th.

My case:
The updates are all over the place, they make the wait tougher or more exciting, depending which way they are moving. I live in NH, but I am picking up my car in NJ. Lately, the delivery date has been stuck at 5/25 - 6/14 after moving between 5/5 and 6/28. It seems like deliveries are spiritic, they come up randomly, and the date within the quarter which you ordered has only a loose correlation on when you will take delivery within the quarter. The "estimated delivery" is a wild ride, so take with with a grain of salt. I have seen some people have estimated delivery dates that were well into June suddenly get VINs and take delivery.