Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3F5E030D-B16D-4941-88EE-9D04E958A02E.jpeg
Just updated today, hopefully my delivery date moves up!

Curious, how many of you are going full wall charger vs adapter plus nema outlet vs regular outlet for your home charging? I bought a wall charger before realizing a 14-30 nema outlet (30 amp) and adapter would save me $1,000 and still allow for 22 miles per hour….
Already got a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed for my travel charger. I might have gone full wall charger if I weren't planning to sell the house in a few years.

Curious, how many of you are going full wall charger vs adapter plus nema outlet vs regular outlet for your home charging? I bought a wall charger before realizing a 14-30 nema outlet (30 amp) and adapter would save me $1,000 and still allow for 22 miles per hour….
I went full wall charger. I was going to need to have new wiring either way, so that cost wasn’t going to change, and I needed it to be outside. I like the aesthetic of the wall charger outside my house more than an outlet, plus I drive a lot and need as fast of charging as I can get.

I currently have a 2020 SR+ and have a 2021 LR AWD on order (first post here).

I went with the 14-50 NEMA outlet for two reasons. First, it was cheaper to get the Tesla 14-50 adapter with a second mobile connector than to buy the Tesla wall charger. Second, if I decided on a non-Tesla vehicle then I don't have to remove the Tesla wall connector or add another outlet.

As luck would have it, I'm probably installing a second 14-50 outlet for my wife in a few years when she gets an EV over her current ICE vehicle.

Reactions: M3isforme
I currently have a 2020 SR+ and have a 2021 LR AWD on order (first post here).

I went with the 14-50 NEMA outlet for two reasons. First, it was cheaper to get the Tesla 14-50 adapter with a second mobile connector than to buy the Tesla wall charger. Second, if I decided on a non-Tesla vehicle then I don't have to remove the Tesla wall connector or add another outlet.

As luck would have it, I'm probably installing a second 14-50 outlet for my wife in a few years when she gets an EV over her current ICE vehicle.
Are you able to pull full power to both at the same time? If not, then the Tesla wall charger can power balance to charge both at the same time without tripping the circuit.

Also, welcome to TMC :)

I’m also in the Raleigh area and have been getting the same EDD pattern. Also currently at 6/23-6/30 as of today.
Count me in as the 3rd Raleigh person with the exact same data pattern ... see my changes below with most recent today of 6/23-6/30 (I think are closing in on go time!):

4-11 weeks (5/22), 6/12-6/30 (5/28), 6/13-6/30 (5/29), 6/14-6/30 (5/30), Blank (6/1), 6/17-6/30 (6/2), 6/18-6/30 (6/3), 6/19-6/30 (6/4), 6/20-6/30 (6/5), 6/21-6/30 (6/6), 6/22-6/30 (6/7), 6/23-6/30 (6/8)

Reactions: id436eg9045
Are you able to pull full power to both at the same time? If not, then the Tesla wall charger can power balance to charge both at the same time without tripping the circuit.

Yup! I asked my electrician that and it definitely weighed my decision. I had to get a brand new panel, sub-panel, and a bunch of other work done to get the first 50A circuit in, which cost way more than I wanted it to. 😆

The second one is now just a cable run next to the first and the adapter. There's actually a 50A breaker sitting in the panel already (just as a placeholder, nothing connected to it on either side).

Thanks! Been a reader for a little bit, figured I might as well sign up and start contributing.

I was going to install a wall charger but then just opted for the adapter. My 6-50 adapter charges my car 50KM (31 miles) per hour . I tested it last night and sure enough, it did 150KM in 3 hours exactly.

I went full wall charger. I was going to need to have new wiring either way, so that cost wasn’t going to change, and I needed it to be outside. I like the aesthetic of the wall charger outside my house more than an outlet, plus I drive a lot and need as fast of charging as I can get.
Same, wall charger is gonna end up the same cost to me as getting a 2nd charger cable anyways (want to keep 1 in the car for emergencies). So why not get that, and I can always remove the wall charger and take it with me if I need to move homes in the future.

I went 14-50 NEMA in my garage since there are a bunch of uses for that plug other than just charging my vehicle. I drive a lot and I really think this will be enough for a full charge every morning.

Wow that’s cool; forgive my ignorance, but how exactly does one charge two vehicles simultaneously from the all charger when it has a single plug?
Also, thanks to everyone for their replies, very interesting to here all the approaches. Wishing I had done more research prior to ordering the wall charger, as the quotes I am getting for installation are rough and I assume an outlet install would be far cheaper….

Wow that’s cool; forgive my ignorance, but how exactly does one charge two vehicles simultaneously from the all charger when it has a single plug?
Also, thanks to everyone for their replies, very interesting to here all the approaches. Wishing I had done more research prior to ordering the wall charger, as the quotes I am getting for installation are rough and I assume an outlet install would be far cheaper….
Also wishing I proofread my posts more before sending, alas…..

What was the final price you paid to do all this? Im gonna need to do the same unfortunately. Trying to gauge my costs

Reactions: Jaredspink
Not sure about charging 2 vehicles at once, but installing a new outlet and installing the charger is gonna cost the same for an electrician. They charge for installing the breaker and wire. The wall charger and outlet both use similar costing material. The main thing for me was if I did an outlet, I would want a 2nd charging cable, and that is 275 + 35 for new adapter. Wall charger is 500 but has a 30% tax incentive right now, which includes the electrician install costs, so overall, it was cheaper to get the wall charger than a 2nd cable + outlet. And I can always convert the wall charger to an outlet with a 10$ outlet and take the wall charger with me if I move.

Count me in as the 3rd Raleigh person with the exact same data pattern ... see my changes below with most recent today of 6/23-6/30 (I think are closing in on go time!):

4-11 weeks (5/22), 6/12-6/30 (5/28), 6/13-6/30 (5/29), 6/14-6/30 (5/30), Blank (6/1), 6/17-6/30 (6/2), 6/18-6/30 (6/3), 6/19-6/30 (6/4), 6/20-6/30 (6/5), 6/21-6/30 (6/6), 6/22-6/30 (6/7), 6/23-6/30 (6/8)
Thanks for chiming in, guys. Makes me feel a lot better to know that two other locals are on the same track. Maybe we’re reasonably likely to get our cars by the end of June.

Reactions: id436eg9045