Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. For me the main thing is running the 240V/60A line to the garage and after that I can use one of these chargers or just use the 14-50 adapter.
I have a buddy in clarksburg who recently ordered a Model Y. It sounds like a fun weekend project with several trips to Home Depot and copious amounts of beer 😂

I’m thinking of going with the Grizzl-E. I don’t need the frills of WiFi or anything else. NOVEC doesn’t charge differently for peak and off-peak and they don’t have any incentives for charging.

I’ve gotten into the habit of pretty much plugging in the car like I plug in my phone. For regular home usage, I see 40A as the sweet spot.

Reactions: abub and hcdavis3
As we are all waiting here, can everyone share your charging setup/plans? Personally I would like to have a Tesla Wall charger or even a Nema 14-50 set up in my garage. I ve seen many posts (rightly) pointing out that the 14-50 might be enough as it can charge at 30 miles an hour and thats enough for an overnight charge up and the wall charger might be overkill. But my problem is not buying the wall charger itself — I have a detached garage and my main panel is in the basement. So getting a 240V - 60A line to the garage is the challenge. I had everything planned out to do it myself (I do DIY electrical stuff around my house all the time), but unfortunately I cant get a permit myself and only a licensed electrician can do it. With the material prices also being high, Im getting quotes around $4800 for this installation (not including the wall charger - just to run the line! (Garage is about 35 ft away from the house and there is about 50ft distance from the main panel inside the house to the edge of the house closest to the garage)

Luckily my office building has ChargePoint chargers that are free for us and charges at 20 mi/hour. So Im planning to adjust with that for now and see if the prices go down before running the 240V line. I would rather spend that money on FSD for now.

I purchased the wall charger about a week after I ordered the car. My neighbor has one and it's just too convenient. I'd rather keep the included charger in my car for "just in case" situations. I'm pretty handy myself so I ran an 80 foot run of 6/2 NM from my basement, up through a wall, across the attic, and down the wall of my garage to the charger. I'm not going to lie, it was a bit of a challenge muscling that heavy gauge wire, but worth not having to pay an electrician. It cost me about $750 in total. I installed a 50 amp circuit breaker and wired to that. 6/2 NM (non-metallic, aka "Romex") is only rated to 55 amps. Setting the wall charger to 50 amps means that it will only draw 40 amps, continuous (80%). I didn't feel like running 75 or 90-degree single-strand wire through conduit all that way just for the extra 8 amps a 60 amp circuit would give me (80% of 60 amps = 48 amps continuous). I could have just wired that to a 14-50, but that would only give me a 32 amp max continuous. I did order a 14-50 adapter to keep with my charger in the car, again... just in case. What sucks, is that every time I get out of my current ICE car, that charger's glowing green light reminds me I still don't have my car. I just shoot it the stink eye and walk away...

I have a 200 amp service panel outside of my house and I park my car right next to it. I'm tempted to just install a 14-50 NEMA outlet box just right next to box and run the wire through conduit. That should be fine right? Do I really need to hire an electrician and get a permit just for that?

I should add that all of the house electrical (outside of the high amp appliances like the stove, washer/dryer, and 3 AC units) are on a separate subpanel that is rated for 50 amps it looks like.

Reactions: Infinityaz
Spotted this scene in Scottsdale tonight. There was ONE Model 3 in this truck full of Model S lol. The parking lot was completely empty otherwise. Before the end of Q2 this lot was filled to the brim with Teslas.
PXL_20210708_024428514.jpg

PXL_20210708_024511731.jpg

I have a 200 amp service panel outside of my house and I park my car right next to it. I'm tempted to just install a 14-50 NEMA outlet box just right next to box and run the wire through conduit. That should be fine right? Do I really need to hire an electrician and get a permit just for that?

I should add that all of the house electrical (outside of the high amp appliances like the stove, washer/dryer, and 3 AC units) are on a separate subpanel that is rated for 50 amps it looks like.
I put one in (14-50 plug) within 7ft of my garage panel. I got all the wire and parts at Lowe’s for around 60 bucks. The Tesla adapter was 45 dollars. The message when you opened the Tesla adapter was great. Turn off the main 200A breaker. Understand the wires from the meter into that 200A breaker are still hot (each of them) but the rest of the panel is off. Watch YouTube…
C8B64EF5-BA56-4464-BEE5-AB0B29DC06F0.jpeg
A4A796FA-52F2-4B8E-A091-D4DC4D560BF6.png
2F471A46-49C7-46E3-AAD5-CE0EA4A4F9C2.jpeg

Reactions: stEVe91941
I put one in (14-50 plug) within 7ft of my garage panel. I got all the wire and parts at Lowe’s for around 60 bucks. The Tesla adapter was 45 dollars. The message when you opened the Tesla adapter was great. Turn off the main 200A breaker. Understand the wires from the meter into that 200A breaker are still hot (each of them) but the rest of the panel is off. Watch YouTube…
I'm feeling pretty confident that I can do it, just worried about permit issues.

All the equipment really only cost 60 bucks? Dang