Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pleasanton, CA.
Grey/BLK LR 19in no Fsd ordered on Jul 6th. My EDD has narrowed to Aug 28 - Sep 17, but still no VIN is available.
I don't understand how is the Tesla logistics work, I have seen ppl received the delivery within 4 weeks after their order date. And Fremont factory just a few miles away from my place🤷‍♂️
Dublin, CA here.
It might be worth asking your SA for further detail on the timeline. I was told to expect delivery by the 1st week of Sep and my EDD has narrowed pretty much in-line with that. We’re nearing the last month of the quarter where they will really begin to push quarter end deliveries especially if you’re local to the factory. Good luck.

Reactions: Ray.Ho
since I'm getting close, have a VIN, where does everyone end up getting the best price for their car?

I decided to not do the Tesla trade in as their offer was lower than a quick shop around.

Carmax seems to be the highest at about 14k(not bad) from what I have seen, and for some reason, Vroom offered me $3600 which was ridiculous. I don't understand how their offer was so low.

I dunno what the heck Vroom is smoking with that offer. Have you tried Carvana?

In my case, CarMax beat out Vroom and was evenly matched with Carvana, so I just went with CarMax coz I could just get the money from them that very same day.

since I'm getting close, have a VIN, where does everyone end up getting the best price for their car?

I decided to not do the Tesla trade in as their offer was lower than a quick shop around.

Carmax seems to be the highest at about 14k(not bad) from what I have seen, and for some reason, Vroom offered me $3600 which was ridiculous. I don't understand how their offer was so low.
Seems like Carmax and Carvana have been popular. I was also really lowballed by Tesla and Vroom, but they seem to be okay for some cars.

I ended selling my Audi S4 privately using TRED (basically a hybrid between dealership and private party). You pay around $20 and they list it on a bunch of sites (cars.com, autotrader.com, etc.), take the calls, send test drive requests, offer financing, extended warranties, etc. and they'll take a percentage (for a $14k car I believe it would be 1%). You handle everything in the app and it's pretty straightforward. They originally estimated it would take about 3 weeks to sell but it took less than a week. Ended up getting several thousand more than any of the trade-in offers. If you have time to sell you can use their estimator to get an idea if it would be worth it for you. Hope that helps!

I dunno what the heck Vroom is smoking with that offer. Have you tried Carvana?

In my case, CarMax beat out Vroom and was evenly matched with Carvana, so I just went with CarMax coz I could just get the money from them that very same day.
I also went with Carmax, and they beat out Carvana as well in my case. To get the absolute most out of your car, you can't beat private sale - but you have to do the legwork and deal with tire-kickers. You can get a quote from Carmax and it's good for 7 days if you want to sleep on it or use it as leverage in a private sale.

Seems like Carmax and Carvana have been popular. I was also really lowballed by Tesla and Vroom, but they seem to be okay for some cars.

I ended selling my Audi S4 privately using TRED (basically a hybrid between dealership and private party). You pay around $20 and they list it on a bunch of sites (cars.com, autotrader.com, etc.), take the calls, send test drive requests, offer financing, extended warranties, etc. and they'll take a percentage (for a $14k car I believe it would be 1%). You handle everything in the app and it's pretty straightforward. They originally estimated it would take about 3 weeks to sell but it took less than a week. Ended up getting several thousand more than any of the trade-in offers. If you have time to sell you can use their estimator to get an idea if it would be worth it for you. Hope that helps!
My friend in CA took this route as well and had good things to say.

Reactions: frostm3
I also went with Carmax, and they beat out Carvana as well in my case. To get the absolute most out of your car, you can't beat private sale - but you have to do the legwork and deal with tire-kickers. You can get a quote from Carmax and it's good for 7 days if you want to sleep on it or use it as leverage in a private sale.

Not dealing with tire kickers and low ballers is exactly why I just went with CarMax. Sure I could have gotten maybe a grand more through private sale, but I just don't have the right mindset to deal with the hassle of private buyers.

Reactions: EwOilChanges
Not dealing with tire kickers and low ballers is exactly why I just went with CarMax. Sure I could have gotten maybe a grand more through private sale, but I just don't have the right mindset to deal with the hassle of private buyers.
If it's only a grand difference it's definitely not worth it. For me it was about a $4k difference even after taking $1,000 off for a quicker sale (1st guy to test drive it by the way).

The Carmax offer on my 2019 VW Golf Alltrack was terrible. Carvana gave a MUCH better offer! The VW dealer where I bought it matched the offer, so they got a great CPO car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond

Private party is the best you can do. It is the most work though.

I've got good news! My original delivery appointment was scheduled for 8/24, but my delivery center called me today and said it arrived already. They said I can pick it up Saturday!

I'll post a delivery experience update when I get home. SO PUMPED!

Picked up my car yesterday. The experience was as seamless as it could possibly be. I wish I had more information to give, but it was just so simple there's nothing to share really!

Pulled up to the delivery center, found my car, inspected it, accepted delivery online, opened the car, signed documents, gave them to an employee inside who gave me two! small red replica Model 3's, and drove off. I had a ~125 mile drive home and it took autopilot ~10 minutes to calibrate. After that, the drive was incredible and everything I thought it would be.

Thinking of naming it TARS, what do you all think?

1629642626961.png

1629642684561.png

1629642722685.png

I changed my configuration from black interiors to white on 8/20. The bill got updated and I can see that change in my config as well. However, the EDD still remained the same - 8/31 to 9/15. Original order was placed on 7/18. Additionally, if I look at my profile (see attachment), the Tesla car picture still has black interiors. Any idea if my EDD will change?

Attachments

• 0DDE53F1-4461-4DEE-8B7D-AB8EE7096277.jpeg
    0DDE53F1-4461-4DEE-8B7D-AB8EE7096277.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 57
  • F671D152-C993-4DD4-B4BB-88A358CAD26D.jpeg
    F671D152-C993-4DD4-B4BB-88A358CAD26D.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 50
Thank you to those who posted about shopping around for insurance. I did my homework and got a quote comparable to what I'm paying right now for older cars. I'm thinking I'll switch everything to Progressive or another carrier with similar rates.

I'm happy with my agent right now. Their office is really good, but it may not be worth all the extra $$$.

Reactions: moyism and frostm3
Picked up my car yesterday. The experience was as seamless as it could possibly be. I wish I had more information to give, but it was just so simple there's nothing to share really!

Pulled up to the delivery center, found my car, inspected it, accepted delivery online, opened the car, signed documents, gave them to an employee inside who gave me two! small red replica Model 3's, and drove off. I had a ~125 mile drive home and it took autopilot ~10 minutes to calibrate. After that, the drive was incredible and everything I thought it would be.

View attachment 699926
View attachment 699927

View attachment 699928

View attachment 699926
View attachment 699927

View attachment 699928
Congratulations! I’m thinking of naming my M3 “SAL 9000”.

Reactions: Extant and mdude
I changed my configuration from black interiors to white on 8/20. The bill got updated and I can see that change in my config as well. However, the EDD still remained the same - 8/31 to 9/15. Original order was placed on 7/18. Additionally, if I look at my profile (see attachment), the Tesla car picture still has black interiors. Any idea if my EDD will change?
I ordered the white interior from the start. The picture in my profile shows black, and never was white.

Reactions: RedDragon8000
If any of you guys have Geico, you might shop around for insurance. I was quoted a massive increase through Geico (3-4X my current rate) while Progressive was actually cheaper than what I’m paying now with my old car.
This is interesting. I have Geico and my premium would increase by $30 a month with an M3 over my 2017 E300 with the same coverage. Seemed odd to me, I thought it would decrease but maybe that was wishful thinking. I'll shop around thanks for the heads up.