Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm two weeks away from my earliest EDD but still have a 20 day window. No movements on dates for a while now.

OD 7/31 M3LR White/White/18"/No FSD

And since everyone likes graphs and spreadsheets:
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 7.38.08 PM.png

Reactions: FrozenExplorer
I'm also in Texas and Tesla told me the insurance won't have any impact on delivery. A lot of states require the actual Tesla VIN on the policy, which you obviously wouldn't have yet.
Interesting. I was told the exact opposite. They said that they use a third party in Texas to do the registration, and they require the VIN to be on the insurance. Plus, the policy needs to be valid for at least 60 days.

So I searched around, but couldn't find an answer on this. I'm scheduled to pick up on Wednesday and submitted my proof of insurance. When I did, I saw that I have to have proof of insurance for 60 days beyond date of delivery. The problem I have is that my insurance is in 6 month chunks and my current policy runs until the end of September. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it going to keep me from being able to pick the car up? I'm paying cash and transferring plates, so I can't see it having to do with financing or temp tags. I spoke with my insurance company and they weren't really sure why I would need this. They offered to rewrite my entire policy, but that just seems like a lot of extra work and potentially money for something like this.

So I searched around, but couldn't find an answer on this. I'm scheduled to pick up on Wednesday and submitted my proof of insurance. When I did, I saw that I have to have proof of insurance for 60 days beyond date of delivery. The problem I have is that my insurance is in 6 month chunks and my current policy runs until the end of September. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it going to keep me from being able to pick the car up? I'm paying cash and transferring plates, so I can't see it having to do with financing or temp tags. I spoke with my insurance company and they weren't really sure why I would need this. They offered to rewrite my entire policy, but that just seems like a lot of extra work and potentially money for something like this.
My insurance policy was updated for the new "year" and brought the old paper still that showed expiration of 8/22/21 and they just took a picture of it and accepted it.

Isn't the insurance you got for the new car good for six months? Regardless of when your previous policy expired? That's how it worked for me.

The expiration date on my policy is six months from when I called my insurance agent to set up insurance for the Tesla. Which means the expiration is going to be at least a week short of six months after my pick up date. But I don't think they look that closely. I think they just want to know that you're insured before you drive the car off the lot. Standard disclaimer that I don't actually know what Tesla is looking for.

Isn't the insurance you got for the new car good for six months? Regardless of when your previous policy expired? That's how it worked for me.

The expiration date on my policy is six months from when I called my insurance agent to set up insurance for the Tesla. Which means the expiration is going to be at least a week short of six months after my pick up date. But I don't think they look that closely. I think they just want to know that you're insured before you drive the car off the lot. Standard disclaimer that I don't actually know what Tesla is looking for.
No, my company just added it to the current policy, which they have done before when we have added other cars. I sent an email to my SA to see if this is going to be an issue. I can't see it being a huge problem, or else there would be more than one thread about it, which unfortunately does not have a resolution at the end. Though that does lead me to believe it was resolved without much of a hassle.

I'm just having a minor freakout because I'm so close to getting it after waiting more than two months. I can't imagine having it slip away like this.

Interesting. I was told the exact opposite. They said that they use a third party in Texas to do the registration, and they require the VIN to be on the insurance. Plus, the policy needs to be valid for at least 60 days.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. You definitely need to provide insurance with the VIN of the Tesla you’re buying before taking delivery. However, that’s not possible until you actually get a VIN, and in states like Texas (and 37 others) you’re not supposed to upload insurance until then. In the other 12 states you can just upload whatever policy you currently have and it doesn’t need to include the Tesla VIN.

Financing on the other hand definitely does impact prioritization, and is why it’s advisable to take care of that the same day you order.

Sorry I only took a single pic, I was busy inspecting for any panel gaps or paint issues, but I’m happy to report the thing was flawless! Not even the trunk scraping issue I’d seen pop up recently was present!

Now I have to drop her off first thing tomorrow for paint protection film and tint 🥲
View attachment 700613
Woooo Team Blue!!! I can't freaking wait to finally get my car.

Reactions: Conejo
Sorry I only took a single pic, I was busy inspecting for any panel gaps or paint issues, but I’m happy to report the thing was flawless! Not even the trunk scraping issue I’d seen pop up recently was present!

Now I have to drop her off first thing tomorrow for paint protection film and tint 🥲
View attachment 700613
Sweet, hopefully I have a similar experience on Wednesday