Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Intel or AMD processor will be more than enough for Model 3.
The most obvious reason for qualifying AMD is to ease the supply chain limitation

For crying out loud your are not gonna be doing quantum computing with this processor

Take the freaking delivery and KISS
Definitely worth waiting for AMD. The videos I've seen comparing chips show the Ryzen being 3-4x faster in opening apps, running maps, etc. Thats too big a difference to ignore. And I'd imagine future features would definitely be locked behind the better chip. I'm not paying $50k+ for a car that can't utilize all the potential features in a year or two. Its a car not an iPhone.

Good news! I literally checked my account about an hour ago and no updates. About 7 seconds after I logged out, received a Text MSG saying my VIN had been assigned. Delivery date changed slightly from 1/18 to 1/31 to 1/20 to 1/26. Pretty pumped, not going to lie! We have been down to a single car for a bit so this will be nice. White/White, 19", M3 LR w/ no FSD. OOD - 12/18
Same specs as mine! My OD was 12/14 so hoping for VIN soon. What factory is yours coming from ? CONGRATS

Definitely worth waiting for AMD. The videos I've seen comparing chips show the Ryzen being 3-4x faster in opening apps, running maps, etc. Thats too big a difference to ignore. And I'd imagine future features would definitely be locked behind the better chip. I'm not paying $50k+ for a car that can't utilize all the potential features in a year or two. Its a car not an iPhone.
Okay lets take this to a logical conclusion!

TESLA most likely did this for two obvious reasons
1) Supply Chain
2) Reducing the BOM, any AMD processor is much cheaper than a Intel processor

Now it might be that Ryzen for its cost and performance might be better choice for TESLA

On the technical side, most of the rendering that's going on the APPs on a TESLA are pretty reasonable for a RYZEN or a INTEL

Once might argue that once Tesla FSD evolves to newer features on image processing, then a better processor would make sense. Even this is also tad bit far from logic, Don't want to go deeper into image processing and CNN that FSD uses thus far..

This process choice is just BOM and Supply Chain.

Duh i am on this forum to much! i just want my TESLA to be delivered quickly;)

That’s great news. I’m waiting on a M3 LR MSM/Black interior and delivery to Col Springs. What was your EDD? Mine is currently 13 Feb - 13 Mar so I still have a few weeks probably.
Fingers crossed yours comes soon! You're just down the street from me (your pickup that is). My EDD before the VIN today was 1/18 - 1/31; before that, 1/6 to 2/3.

Good news! I literally checked my account about an hour ago and no updates. About 7 seconds after I logged out, received a Text MSG saying my VIN had been assigned. Delivery date changed slightly from 1/18-1/31 to 1/20 to 1/26. Pretty pumped, not going to lie! We have been down to a single car for a bit so this will be nice. White/White, 19", M3 LR w/ no FSD. OOD - 12/18
Cool. I have the same configuration, got my VIN on Saturday but no delivery date yet (edd 1/25-1/29 going to FL). What’s you vin, I got 152484 so it’s probably in the same batch

Reactions: Semper Yut
Tesla never promised anything on infotainment chip. They still deliver what they promised in terms when you ordered. Probably many are getting overly hung on this. A friend of mine has 2018 M3LR and has done 34k. It’s been all fun and no issues.

Yeah, that just happened to me today...thought I had a good sign when it was narrowed down to a two-week window...then this morning...back to a four-week window. Maybe it has to do with the chip, battery, windows, wiper conversion??

M3LR / Blue / Black / 18" / No FSD
OD 10/30/2021
1st VIN Posted 12/21/2021
Received Schedule Delivery Text on 12/21/2021
Released VIN and placed delivery hold on 12/23/2021
Released hold on 1/1/2022
1/2/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/6/2022: EDD 1/14/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/11/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022

I have the same EDD range as you do. My EDD briefly went to December last year but soon got back to 1/13 to 2/10. I think there is little movement for west coast orders since the beginning of 2022. Maybe they are indeed focusing on the east coast. I don't expect we can have our VINs any time before March or April.

Tesla never promised anything on infotainment chip. They still deliver what they promised in terms when you ordered. Probably many are getting overly hung on this. A friend of mine has 2018 M3LR and has done 34k. It’s been all fun and no issues.
This is true. When I ordered the price was $1K less and did not have any upgrades. So if by chance I get them it is a bonus, if not, not a big deal, I'll enjoy the car with the configuration it comes

Okay lets take this to a logical conclusion!

TESLA most likely did this for two obvious reasons
1) Supply Chain
2) Reducing the BOM, any AMD processor is much cheaper than a Intel processor

Now it might be that Ryzen for its cost and performance might be better choice for TESLA

On the technical side, most of the rendering that's going on the APPs on a TESLA are pretty reasonable for a RYZEN or a INTEL

Once might argue that once Tesla FSD evolves to newer features on image processing, then a better processor would make sense. Even this is also tad bit far from logic, Don't want to go deeper into image processing and CNN that FSD uses thus far..

This process choice is just BOM and Supply Chain.

Duh i am on this forum to much! i just want my TESLA to be delivered quickly;)
The Intel Atom E3950 (2016) MSRP is $57 while a Ryzen 2400G (2018) MSRP is $150. One was built for cheap Windows tablets/netbooks, while the other is for extreme budget gaming PCs. While the performance difference is already pretty glaring, just wait a few years. As an owner that has gone through the MCU1 debacle, trust me.

Good news! I literally checked my account about an hour ago and no updates. About 7 seconds after I logged out, received a Text MSG saying my VIN had been assigned. Delivery date changed slightly from 1/18-1/31 to 1/20 to 1/26. Pretty pumped, not going to lie! We have been down to a single car for a bit so this will be nice. White/White, 19", M3 LR w/ no FSD. OOD - 12/18
Congratz!

I have a OD of 12/04/21
and my EDD is 10th Feb to 10th March

the interesting things is that we both are in CO, not sure how they load the assembly line. I hope to get the VIN assignment soon

Reactions: Ashn and Semper Yut
A few disagreements here. I keep seeing people referring to the AMD chip as “newer”, “upgrade” “latest and greatest”…. From what I u set stand this is a 2017 AMD Ryzen chip. This is not the same AMD chip used in the model S/X, which is even 10x more powerful than this AMD chip.

It does seem to be the common opinion that this AMD chip is faster running Netflix or some games, but the data is questionable and very few people have even seen it used this chip on a MY or M3 and no one one knows the long term use is like Iot if other bugs glitches are found when 10s or 100s of thousands of chips are in use on it. The INTEL chip is in a million of these cars and aside from some “slow browsing” on Netflix has been very reliable.

The other issue I have is that figs is not a $50,000 purchase. You can actually turn around and sell this car the next day for a profit as many people have done. While that won’t always be the market case. It will retain value and after deducting 2-3 years of usage, you might lose $2-3k on a trade in upgrade.

You can’t argue that you need the latest tech and then think you’re going to consume $50,000 worth of vehicle. It is far more like an iPhone purchase than people do realize.

And if you are concerned about the “latest and greatest” tech and features, you are going to be really upset about all the new features the M3 will have in a year or two from now like vented seats, heads up display, auto open frunk and trunk and the list goes on and on….

Reactions: whiskeylover