Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you initially get someone less than helpful, contact Tesla a different way, or a few hours later. Someone else will answer, and you may get a more helpful response.
If you have a showroom in your area, speak to somewhere there. In my experience, if you're cool with them, they will give you their direct ext and email address. I also went and spent a couple of hours just looking and talking about the cars with a couple of different people. At least at the Naperville showroom, all of the staff monitors the messaging system and they are all well informed and helpful. Hope this helps.

M3LR/Red/Aero/No FSD/San Jose, CA
OD: 10/17/21 (On hold until 2/2/22)
EDD #1: 2/27-3/37
EDD #2: 2/28-3/18
EDD #3: 3/4-3/18
EDD #4: 3/7-3/18
EDD #5: 3/10-3/22
EDD #6: 3/13-3/23

Went from an 11 day window, to a 12 day window, to a 10 day window. I'm hopeful I'll get a VIN one of these days....
WooHoo!!!!!! Got my VIN this morning. 205xxx
Pickup scheduled for 3/14 at the Fremont factory.

*happy dance*

I thought I'd share the good news with you guys. I was assigned a VIN today! VIN: xxx200493. I didn't ask about the Ryzen processor or battery, but from what I can tell, it should have them! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!

Backstory:
I ordered a M3LR AWD, Midnight Silver, Black Interior, Aero, FSD on 2/4/22. Michigan Delivery.
First EDD: March
2/7 EDD: Feb 22 - Mar 22
2/12 EDD: May 3 - May 31
3/11: FSD was removed.
3/12 (Assigned VIN) EDD: March 15 - March 21

How I got the VIN early:

I ended up going into the service center to go for another test drive. I wanted to test out FSD as I was still debating getting it. After the test drive, the SA asked me if I had an order. I told him that I did have one, but the delivery date jumped way ahead, which was disappointing, but I understood why with the supply chain issues world wide. Well boy did he give me some info that I wish I knew earlier, and I wanna share it with you guys. The app's EDD is generally incorrect when it's showing a month window. There are two different EDDs: the one that you see in the app, and the actual target date in their internal system. They give you an EDD with a month's window far enough out to make sure that they have time to actually fulfill the order. My actual target EDD on their end of the system was April 24th. After talking some more, they told me about a Model 3 in Chicago that someone wasn't ready to pick up, and that the car could possibly be assigned to someone who could take delivery ASAP. I told the SA that I could, and he assigned it to me the next day! Apparently, this happens a lot during the end-of-quarter push to try and raise sales numbers as much as possible. So this isn't normal but happens from time to time. Another thing I was told is that how EDDs are handled is constantly changing to try and improve the system, so anything I say about EDD could be different anytime after this post was made.

Info you should know:
  1. EDD with a one-month gap or more are generally wrong and could come sooner or later than the assigned date. The only thing you can do is be patient and wait for the gap to close.
  1. There's a different EDD in the internal system, and generally, your SA can look this up for you if they're in a good mood. This EDD changes more frequently and isn't set in stone, but it gives you an idea of what the target date is. (I don't know if they're supposed to tell you about this)
  1. Putting cash as the payment option will give you a higher priority order, but this is still speculation, and every SA I've talked to is convinced this is the case.
  1. Getting FSD in your original order will give you priority delivery times. Adding it on will as well, but it won't reflect in the app's EDD till it updates again.
  1. You can add FSD to your order after it's been placed, but you can't remove it once you do this. If you placed an order with FSD when you initially placed it, you can remove it only once.
  1. If you can take delivery and pay ASAP, go to a showroom and talk to a SA and see if there's a Tesla available that someone wasn't able to take delivery of. If you know you can accept delivery quickly (pay and get insurance in less than a week), they can attempt to assign it to you. Some SAs at slower locations might even keep an eye out for you and call you if one's available, but this shouldn't be expected by any means.
  1. The EDD system changes a lot, so anything I say about it could be different in a week, month, or a year. No one knows.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm no expert, but this is what I've heard from different SA and from what I've found searching on the internet. If you know anything I said could be wrong, please post a correction. I hope this helps you guys, and I wish you all fast delivery times!

Ordered mine on Feb 27th and no change from the original EDD of May-June. I’m in the Orlando area and hoping to see movement. I know its way too soon but we can always hope for a miracle.
Totally hoping for a tiny miracle. I’m south of you palm beach county. When i saw march 19 i was like AYYYYYY…. And then 2 weeks later back to may i was like NOOOOOO. 😂 come on Tesla send them down we’re the next contestants !

Something to keep in mind while waiting is that oil prices are going up. That's going to increase the cost of delivery by diesel transporter trucks. I'm sure Tesla is already trying to pack a transporter full any time it leaves Fremont (or Austin), but they must be getting even tighter now that transport costs are increasing. So if there are 15 cars ordered from Buffalo, New York, and one transporter can take a maximum of 10 cars, then the first 10 will get VINs because they can go as a group to Buffalo. But the last 5 may have to wait for another 5 vehicles to be ordered before they'll get VINs.

If Tesla is being really pedantic about shipping costs, they may sit on 9 orders coming from one city just because they can fulfill 10 orders from another. Note that if you or I ship a car across the country, it'll be around $1000. Probably more with oil prices going up. Tesla can probably manage half that, but it's still an unwanted cost.

The moral of the story is to order 10 Teslas at a time.

Edit:

Apparently Tesla ships by rail, so now you have to buy 100 Teslas to fill a train. (By the way, 10 Teslas is actually cheaper than a house in Fremont, CA...)

Kidding aside, I'm sure they ship them to a regional terminal, then split them up by destination. So everything in your region can be collected together, but the trucking point still stands, though it's less of a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOGR33N
Something to keep in mind while waiting is that oil prices are going up. That's going to increase the cost of delivery by diesel transporter trucks. I'm sure Tesla is already trying to pack a transporter full any time it leaves Fremont (or Austin), but they must be getting even tighter now that transport costs are increasing. So if there are 15 cars ordered from Buffalo, New York, and one transporter can take a maximum of 10 cars, then the first 10 will get VINs because they can go as a group to Buffalo. But the last 5 may have to wait for another 5 vehicles to be ordered before they'll get VINs.

If Tesla is being really pedantic about shipping costs, they may sit on 9 orders coming from one city just because they can fulfill 10 orders from another. Note that if you or I ship a car across the country, it'll be around $1000. Probably more with oil prices going up. Tesla can probably manage half that, but it's still an unwanted cost.

The moral of the story is to order 10 Teslas at a time.

Edit:

Apparently Tesla ships by rail, so now you have to buy 100 Teslas to fill a train. (By the way, 10 Teslas is actually cheaper than a house in Fremont, CA...)

Kidding aside, I'm sure they ship them to a regional terminal, then split them up by destination. So everything in your region can be collected together, but the trucking point still stands, though it's less of a factor.
When I spoke to an SA last week, they did state that the cars are moved by rail, then truck to final destination. I'm in Phoenix, so she said my car would take a day to get here by rail and maybe another day for the truck to take to dealership.

I ordered online and never got contacted by/assigned an SA, so I have no one to ask questions of. Is that normal? Anything I need to do?

Yes 100% normal. No one is going to contact you. Watch for texts, use the APP make sure all your "Tasks" are complete. Or call 1-888-515-3752. Option 1 for Cars then 2 for Delivery...just mumble something into the auto attendant and you'll speak to someone.

Reactions: NewEnglandCld