Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to keep in mind while waiting is that oil prices are going up. That's going to increase the cost of delivery by diesel transporter trucks. I'm sure Tesla is already trying to pack a transporter full any time it leaves Fremont (or Austin), but they must be getting even tighter now that transport costs are increasing. So if there are 15 cars ordered from Buffalo, New York, and one transporter can take a maximum of 10 cars, then the first 10 will get VINs because they can go as a group to Buffalo. But the last 5 may have to wait for another 5 vehicles to be ordered before they'll get VINs.

If Tesla is being really pedantic about shipping costs, they may sit on 9 orders coming from one city just because they can fulfill 10 orders from another. Note that if you or I ship a car across the country, it'll be around $1000. Probably more with oil prices going up. Tesla can probably manage half that, but it's still an unwanted cost.

The moral of the story is to order 10 Teslas at a time.

Edit:

Apparently Tesla ships by rail, so now you have to buy 100 Teslas to fill a train. (By the way, 10 Teslas is actually cheaper than a house in Fremont, CA...)

Kidding aside, I'm sure they ship them to a regional terminal, then split them up by destination. So everything in your region can be collected together, but the trucking point still stands, though it's less of a factor.
The next cost Tesla will raise is the $1200 destination fee probably.

Edit - The $1125 destination charge. The $1200 above includes a $75 doc fee.

I was pleasantly surprised with a 2 day early pickup call. Picked up Saturday in Clarkston, Michigan. Seamless pickup and only one small gap that I don’t even care about lol. It is SOO much fun to drive. Fast as hell…. Best of luck to those who are waiting. It’s well worth the wait I promise you

Attachments

• ADBD4F1B-797A-4F00-ACE3-0620B9A05FD6.jpeg
    ADBD4F1B-797A-4F00-ACE3-0620B9A05FD6.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 102
  • 035F7014-2899-43A4-BD43-CA86E90D72C1.png
    035F7014-2899-43A4-BD43-CA86E90D72C1.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 75
I was pleasantly surprised with a 2 day early pickup call. Picked up Saturday in Clarkston, Michigan. Seamless pickup and only one small gap that I don’t even care about lol. It is SOO much fun to drive. Fast as hell…. Best of luck to those who are waiting. It’s well worth the wait I promise you
You get the rims changed out already? Or bought the caps

After driving my new M3LR for 2 days now. I would say the only thing that really bothers me or needs to be changed is the windshield wiper fluid location (comes out of the wiper). Totally not a big deal, but over 50 MPH the fluid barley gets your window and flys all over the side of tour car/side windows. Small gripe, other than that it’s AWESOME

Reactions: Atg511
Something to keep in mind while waiting is that oil prices are going up. That's going to increase the cost of delivery by diesel transporter trucks. I'm sure Tesla is already trying to pack a transporter full any time it leaves Fremont (or Austin), but they must be getting even tighter now that transport costs are increasing. So if there are 15 cars ordered from Buffalo, New York, and one transporter can take a maximum of 10 cars, then the first 10 will get VINs because they can go as a group to Buffalo. But the last 5 may have to wait for another 5 vehicles to be ordered before they'll get VINs.

If Tesla is being really pedantic about shipping costs, they may sit on 9 orders coming from one city just because they can fulfill 10 orders from another. Note that if you or I ship a car across the country, it'll be around $1000. Probably more with oil prices going up. Tesla can probably manage half that, but it's still an unwanted cost.

The moral of the story is to order 10 Teslas at a time.

Edit:

Apparently Tesla ships by rail, so now you have to buy 100 Teslas to fill a train. (By the way, 10 Teslas is actually cheaper than a house in Fremont, CA...)

Kidding aside, I'm sure they ship them to a regional terminal, then split them up by destination. So everything in your region can be collected together, but the trucking point still stands, though it's less of a factor.
I negotiate freight and shipping for a large company and we negotiate all of that in 2-3 year agreements, so while I was displeased my shipping rate with UPS for example went up 15% this year it’s locked in for three years and looks like a bargain now. My by truck and pallet costs are all set also. I’m sure Tesla has something similar.