Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the Austin plant was only going to make Model Y versions. Could that be the delay for us East Coast deliveries? Waiting for the new factory to open?
I thought so too, but doing a little Googling turned up this:

"Tesla has said it plans to produce its Cybertruck, Semi, Model 3 compact sedan and Model Y vehicles at [the] Travis County site."

I think everyone was focused on Model Y production because it will use the new manufacturing technique of structural battery and both front and rear gigacastings. It's not clear when, or if, the Model 3 will ever get that treatment. Some rumors claim that the "Model 2" may simply replace the Model 3 and be designed from the start to use the Model Y techniques.

I haven't seen anything about the Austin factory's expected Model 3 output. Folks have suggested that Austin will build Model 3 and Y for the east and Fremont will build them for the west. We'll all have to keep an eye on the location VIN code for vehicles arriving in the east starting in May.

If you’re concerned about your new M3 getting the Ryzen chip; all Tesla’s being produced have it installed.
At least with the current software, I can't notice a difference despite what Youtube would like you to believe. It still takes forever to load Netflix (may not be all processor) and nothing else seems snappier enough to notice but the original chip didn't exactly feel slow either. I do notice though how much slower things are when I go from my S to my 3 with the Ryzen chip.

Neither the previous chip in the 3 or Y were anything to write home about and the Ryzen isn't like your getting Apple Silicon in your Tesla. But if you believe all the press on the new Ryzen it does hit your range. In Australia, customers were told to accept a 22 hit to the range. Europe it was a few percent depending a model.

Basicallly the gain you get from the aero wheels is taken away by the Ryzen chipset.

Hi all! Placed an order for a M3LR back on 10/29 and immediately placed a hold on it hoping for the EV incentive. Tesla only allowed a 90 day hold so it can off on 1/27. I think I had a Feb-March EDD but didn't pay much attention to it as I was trying to sell my 2021 M3 SR+ and make the numbers work. Finally sold my SR+ on Monday (for almost $10k over what I originally paid for it!) and changed my payment method to Cash in order to hopefully get priority. EDD has been at 3/18-3/31 since Monday with no changes. Really hoping to get delivery by end of month!

TL;DR

M3LR, White, Black, Aero, No FSD

OD: 10/29/21 (placed on hold same day)
Came off hold: 1/27/22
Completed Profile: 3/14
EDD for last 3 days: 3/18-3/31

changed my payment method to Cash in order to hopefully get priority.
Priority is going to vehicles with FSD. Check with your SA about a VIN. The way I read the (very informal) order tracking spreadsheet, the latest batch of vehicles coming from Fremont (201-207) is going to west coast destinations. They seem to have been alternating batches for west coast and for the rest of the country (i.e. thousands of cars in a batch). That pattern should change once the Austin Gigafactory gets going; Fremont can focus on the west coast and Austin can handle the rest.

Reactions: Junior86
Tesla does very few things the conventional way and considering their size they need to squeeze every penny to turn a profit. One thing people don’t realize is that teslas are not necessarily “luxury” cars. They are on the level of a standard car with a premium electric powertrain. And really on top of that they are a battery and software company first. It’s just that their version of the iPhone has 4 wheels and doors.

Here is my hood for the rest of my point. Notice the unpainted sections.
Don’t get me wrong….. I totally agree we are buying the car mainly for the sw and electric power train… yet I would still like a grade above of quality at least for the exposed part. The hood is covered by the plastic trims at least :)

FWIW my M2 and my 335i has the same thing. See attached for the picture of my M2, i cant take a picture of the other car as my wife drove it to work.
My Model 3 also is like that.
That section you shared in the picture you will never see unless you go there and squeeze your phone inside… the doors on bmw open differently… then see my 10 years old x5… the paint is all over including inside the hood, and not only the colored prime but the entire finishing up to the transparent layer

Attachments

• 10B50A30-DFFE-4FE1-B054-950B923432FF.jpeg
    10B50A30-DFFE-4FE1-B054-950B923432FF.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 93
Anyone in the same boat that I’m in? Starting to get concerned that I’m coming across people with similar configurations (but ordered a month after I did) and are getting VIN#’s and delivery dates….

OD: 1/1/22
EDD: 4/21-5/23

M3LR
Deep Metallic Blue Ext
Black Int
Aero Wheels
No FSD

Colorado