Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just joined the forum, and after deliberations on build, placed an order for 3 LR in white with the 19's and no FSD. Lost a little sleep over the P vs LR debate, but it will be a daily driver, I'm stridently anti- bent rim, and I have a Lotus Elise and a bunch of motorcycles to beat up at track days and backroads.

By deliberating for a few weeks, the price went up twice and the delivery went from May to July...until I finalized the order, and it moved to Aug- Oct. Yes, I'm a victim of the 'no FSD, you wait' scheme. The Performance indicates May, but I'm sticking to the plan...for now. Just wondering what the typical experience is regarding delivery dates. Do they typically compress, are they optimistic/ pessimistic, or should I just expect the car to come when the spirts move it to be thus?

I'm pretty sure what happens is someone changes their order or cancels, I am also assuming because these cars usually had extra options on them like Sport rims and a color not included. I'm not exactly sure why I was able to get a car tbh, other than it not being my config and I agreed to take something else, but then you'd imagine someone else would have the config for the one I took so it would have went to the next in line. I am not sure.

I also wonder if its possible the system isn't automated for reassigning VINs so there just conveniently was 3 cars similar spec waiting to be reassigned. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah it’s not like option combos are endless. Weird that they can build a spaceship but not figure out how to reassign vin numerically by car configuration after cancellation. 🤣

I just called their toll-free number to get a status update and politely asked if there any available cars due to order cancellations. Unfortunately there isn't one with my config available....but if anyone in the SF Bay Area is looking for a black with black interior and 18" Aero wheels, there is one up for grabs!

Reactions: kd8698
So you guys are going to hate me, but I’m in Cincy too and I just scheduled my delivery for next Monday, 3/28. Got my vin on 3/17. OD 2/13. My car is the same as drdavid’s except 19” wheels. I can’t believe that would make a difference, yet here we are.
Ordered 2/12 and my EDD is still stuck on 5/4-6/4. Being in FL and pretty much the furthest away from CA… has been terrible lmao

Do they typically compress, are they optimistic/ pessimistic, or should I just expect the car to come when the spirts move it to be thus?
We don't have any real information. The average wait time has been 51 days from order to delivery, but the wait time is probably increasing because of all the orders that have been piled on of late. Once the Texas Gigafactory gets going with Model 3 production, that should help to bring that wait time down again.

Be sure to check the app regularly to see if there's been any change in your order, and make sure you keep up on all the needed documentation. They won't bug you to do anything, nor will they prompt you when anything significant changes, so it falls to you to keep the order wheels greased.

I called Tesla regarding getting an unassigned VIN. They said I had to call my local dealership. Ok....
I call my local dealership, a nice lady answers and she said she's in Las Vegas (I'm in Phoenix). I said "Oh, I thought I called my local dealership". She said that she gets calls when the local dealership doesn't answer their phone. After a few more minutes, she's able to connect me to my local dealership.
The SA that answered told me that they can't see unassigned VIN's and "that's not the process". He said if I saw a car on the website, I could buy it. I repeated that I have an order, and was trying to see if I could get a vehicle that was unassigned and enroute to their location. He said "no" and that was the end of the conversation. :(

TLDR: I couldn't get a VIN assigned, and everyone said it was someone else's job to lookup unassigned VINs.

• Informative
Reactions: DC_Wheels52
I just landed an exact match by texting my SA. Well almost an exact match. Red multi coat, white interior, but instead of the LR I was able to take a performance model and they honored the price the performance was at the time of my order which before both the two most recent price increase.
Vin is now in my account and pick up is set for 24th - 27th of March.

Haha you can’t make this *sugar* up smh delivery truck is broken down in Southern California. I went from taking delivery tonight to tbd we don’t know when the car will make it to AZ hopefully this week… I’d say of this entire experience so far this has got to be the toughest hurdle I’ve had to overcome.

Trying to keep my spirits up and pray the car is in good condition after whatever is going on on that truck.