Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE DAY HAS COME!!!!

119 days ago I ordered a Tesla M3LR, Deep Metallic Blue, All Black, Aero, no FSD and TODAY I have finally been assigned a VIN#!

My sanity would not be in tact if it weren’t for this thread of wonderful people! I will keep you all updated!

Cheers!
UPDATE - Delivery Appt schedule for 4/23/22 (this Saturday)!!!

I will not claim to know what Tesla actually does, but I can't imagine that a shut down of their largest manufacturing hub would not affect global production. I guess what I am saying is that sadly, I think this widespread push back on the same day is real and we should probably expect it to stick.
But what exactly would it affect in other factories though? I understand that they had to shut down and do whatever they did, but why would that require the other factories to do the same?

For my SLC pick-up peeps:

Summary Statistics for UT & WY Locations Reported to Order Spreadsheet
Deep Blue MetallicMidnight Silver MetallicPearl White Multi-CoatRed Multi-CoatSilver MetallicSolid Black
Average No. Days from Order to Delivery
52​
45.1​
47.9375​
54.57142857​
70​
35.2​
Max
94​
90​
94​
96​
88​
71​
Min
21​
13​
8​
2​
52​
7​
Median
46.5​
32​
47​
79​
70​
36​

1650473559528.png

NB: Implicit is that Utah and Wyoming reported locations are Salt Lake City pick-ups, since delivery location isn't a field reported to the tracker (as far as I know?)

NBB: The sample size is relatively small (n=54), and within that only 2 are WY (and within that, one is me, still waiting), and these numbers have all models (SR, LR, P, etc.) reported to the tracker from time immemorial.

The last reported delivery of this group was for an order reported as being placed Nov 12, 2021. There are ten (10) reported orders, which are currently outstanding - the oldest of which was reported as placed Jan. 12, 2022, and which at present is on day 98.

The only take-home message I can divine (and again, I am by no means whatsoever any sort of stats/data person, and this may not even be valid) is that current wait times seem to be high outliers. ⏳📈

I know not everyone updates their entry on the Teslike spreadsheet (I'm sure many put their initial entry in and then quickly forget about it over the next few weeks of waiting), but boy that 2/8 cliff of VINs is not helping with my delivery anxiety. I know, I know, there are real problems to be concerned about, but this is what I've got going on! First world problems!

Reactions: JB from the AZ
But what exactly would it affect in other factories though? I understand that they had to shut down and do whatever they did, but why would that require the other factories to do the same?
I’m not a car manufacturer, but I can imagine a ton of scenarios where a huge shutdown in china would affect the global market. Maybe they make most of the batteries, or some other part that is cheaper to make in china than in the US. Maybe they needed to export CA made cars to china and Europe to fill backlogged orders….

Tonight is the Tesla earnings call. There may be some interesting info there on their forecast for Q2 and even a little discussion of the delays they're experiencing.
Wall Street Journal today had an article about the impact of the China Covid shutdown - 90,000 fewer cars in 2nd quarter. I'm not sure how that affects domestic production, but I doubt it will help. Article quotes:

"The world’s largest car company by value is recovering from a shutdown at its Shanghai factory, where work was suspended March 28 because of strict government measures meant to slow the spread of Covid-19. The closure, which dented first-quarter output, is likely to take a bigger toll in the second quarter, reducing the company’s output by roughly 90,000 vehicles, Credit Suisse forecast. That estimate assumes the factory, which had become Tesla’s largest by output, will be operating at reduced levels in the coming weeks."

I’m not a car manufacturer, but I can imagine a ton of scenarios where a huge shutdown in china would affect the global market. Maybe they make most of the batteries, or some other part that is cheaper to make in china than in the US. Maybe they needed to export CA made cars to china and Europe to fill backlogged orders….
That is what I was wanting to know. Do they supply something to the other factories or what? If this is the case then I can understand it. If they do not supply anything to the other factories then there is some explaining that needs to be done.

Fremont built 3/Y get their batteries from Giga Nevada, other than the Model 3 SR/RWD which has CATL batteries from China.

There could be ancillary parts from various other suppliers coming from China that is causing a delay in Fremont production, but Giga Shanghai doesn’t directly make parts for Fremont that is publicly known.

I doubt Tesla would be exporting cars to meet China demand as the import duties would be a lot more expensive. Possibly exporting more from Fremont to Europe to help meet demand.

Reactions: ronmolly
Fremont built 3/Y get their batteries from Giga Nevada, other than the Model 3 SR/RWD which has CATL batteries from China.

There could be ancillary parts from various other suppliers coming from China that is causing a delay in Fremont production, but Giga Shanghai doesn’t directly make parts for Fremont that is publicly known.

I doubt Tesla would be exporting cars to meet China demand as the import duties would be a lot more expensive. Possibly exporting more from Fremont to Europe to help meet demand.
I thought that's why they made the factory in Berlin though? Is that factory having a problem as well?

Reactions: E90alex
I actually dont think this has anything to do with any specific part or color. Then entire Shanghai facility was shut down for 3 weeks due to COVID restrictions. They estimate that the company is about 40,000 cars behind schedule. We have all seen about a month push back, which would coincide with a 3 week shut down. Reports are that the facility is back up and running as of yesterday, but it will take time for production to "ramp up" again. Certainly disappointing news for all of us who are waiting.
But aren't Shanghai cars not sold in the US? So why would a shutdown there affect US deliveries? Unless the factory also produces parts used in North American cars...

M3LR, MSM, B, Aero
OD of 2/14, EDD has been pretty steady at 5/1-5/29 (started a week later, shortened to a week earlier, settled at "May")

While I would think they would have accounted for this in initial EDDs, is it possible that, in addition to the Shanghai problems, the Ukraine invasion has created unexpected demand for EVs?

But aren't Shanghai cars not sold in the US? So why would a shutdown there affect US deliveries? Unless the factory also produces parts used in North American cars...
There are so many parts on a car, I highly doubt Fremont made model 3s don’t have some bits and pieces that are imported from China. Maybe not from giga Shanghai factory but another supplier of parts located in China.

Many factories have been shutdown in China for the last month, not just giga Shanghai