Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright guys, shocking news.. I just went to my local SC new car lot in Seattle area, and I noticed that the Model LR with factory gate 04/25 +- 2 days has started to use the old headlight. Didn't specifically check SR cause I ordered LR, but did discover that perf model isn't impacted and still using the new matrix headlight. Something you probably need to check with your SA but I don't think they even noticed that.. Photos attached with headlight and factory gate date, and VIN.

Attachments

• IMG_7073.jpg
    IMG_7073.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_7075.jpg
    IMG_7075.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 544
Alright guys, shocking news.. I just went to my local SC new car lot in Seattle area, and I noticed that the Model LR with factory gate 04/25 +- 2 days has started to use the old headlight. Didn't specifically check SR cause I ordered LR, but did discover that perf model isn't impacted and still using the new matrix headlight. Something you probably need to check with your SA but I don't think they even noticed that.. Photos attached with headlight and factory gate date, and VIN.
3 questions:
1) Could this be an even newer version of lights?
2) What about the cars from 28th? Are they same as 23rd or are they like 25+-2?
3) What were the VINs?

Edit: Seems like the VINs from 238xxx - 241xxx . Can people who have taken the delivery confirm this?

• Informative
Reactions: Junior86
me sitting here with a 02/10 OD and still a month window (western Canada, not Vancouver) while everyone gets shrinking windows and vins
has me thinking my order is gonna be one of those neglected ones that for some reason doesn’t come for 5+ months. Please tell me I’m wrong ?
Yours could be like mine and just transition immediately into a VIN.
Whats up with the "Trade in" text when you havent requested a trade-in in the first place? Still 10 days from my 2 week EDD to start. Got the text today. Likely means nothing?
Just a bot sending out automated messages.
And for reference these are what the matrix headlights look like.
1651353403053.png

Whats the advantage/disadvantage of one over the other?
Matrix headlights project a grid of lights ahead of the car, and each cell in that grid is individually-controllable by software. The idea is that if there is a car in the lit area, the headlight turns off the cells that would light up the car - so as to not blind the driver - while leaving all the others turned on, lighting up everything else.

Short form: matrix headlights are designed to avoid blinding people. Regular headlights happily blind people - as they have done for 100 years.

It's not clear if the matrix headlights have the ability to steer, physically or virtually. Steering is used to light up the road as you go along a curve. A non-steerable headlight will just light whatever is in front of the vehicle while steerable will see that the road is a bit off to the side and throw light in that direction.

Whats the advantage/disadvantage of one over the other?
Matrix (LED) headlights, aka pixel headlights, aka adaptive headlights, aka projector headlights, aka cornering headlights:
Inside each of those bulbs is an array of LEDs, each one individually controllable allowing for light projection in almost any pattern. This can be implemented in fun ways like the “TESLA” lettering in the Holiday Light Show.

More importantly it can be used for improved safety. For example, if an oncoming car is detected the LEDs can mask out the vehicle by dimming or switching off LEDs that produce distracting glare while other LEDs of the high beam light continue to illuminate everywhere else on the road.

1651356216632.png

Standard or conventional headlights remain in a fixed position and only illuminate the road directly in front of the car. When you are going around a corner, that means the side of the road is illuminated, and not the road you are about to turn on to.

With adaptive, or cornering headlights, the lights turn according to your steering input so that the actual path of the vehicle is illuminated.

1651355925726.png

Yo Vancity fam -- how are y'all hanging in?

@yvr_bbq 's been chiming in -- however, you've been off the grid @doodlebob424 -- one question for both of you, have you booked ceramic or ppf and tinting appointments? Any recommendations around this?

I am also ordering a 3d spider mat, but in US (shipping to canada is so expensive) and probably a silicon holder. Any other interior accessory must haves?

Also - for @doodlebob424 looking at your OD it seems to me you may get your car much earlier than the 5/23 EDD range provided to you. (This is from the anecdotal trends I have been seeing -- plus my stats)

3d maxpider mats seem cheapest from Costco, but they only have the 1st and 2nd row. Got mine delivered today.

Got a few accessories from Jowua - their cup holder insert, usb hub and accompanying console tray. Spigen screen protector and Basenor jack pucks. 3d printed a few others - grocery bag hook, hidden armrest cubby, wall mount and hangar for UMC, and J1172 lock ring.

Not doing PPF. Don’t feel it’s worth it. Will DIY ceramic coating though. And will tint. I’ve had another car done at N-motion in Burnaby before so may go back there for tinting.

Nothing else until I have a car in my hands!!! lol

WTF! Wow that’s a major change. I don’t know if I want the car without them….

3d maxpider mats seem cheapest from Costco, but they only have the 1st and 2nd row. Got mine delivered today.

Got a few accessories from Jowua - their cup holder insert, usb hub and accompanying console tray. Spigen screen protector and Basenor jack pucks. 3d printed a few others - grocery bag hook, hidden armrest cubby, wall mount and hangar for UMC, and J1172 lock ring.

Not doing PPF. Don’t feel it’s worth it. Will DIY ceramic coating though. And will tint. I’ve had another car done at N-motion in Burnaby before so may go back there for tinting.

Nothing else until I have a car in my hands!!! lol
Very informative answer thanks!

I don't have costco membership so wasn't able to look at the cost - but whats the final cost for 3d spider with tax in CAD? And how long do they take to ship?
And interesting stuff with 3D printer -- do you just casually own a 3d printer at home?

which all services provide painless quotes?

which all services provide painless quotes? (In US)

One is carvana, another carmax -- any other service I should look into?
I only used two, carvana and carmax. Both were totally online, no pics needed. This was about a month ago and carvana offered $19500 and carmax offered $15400. I'm sure prices will change, but I will try again as I get closer to delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: rickvancouver
Very informative answer thanks!

I don't have costco membership so wasn't able to look at the cost - but whats the final cost for 3d spider with tax in CAD? And how long do they take to ship?
And interesting stuff with 3D printer -- do you just casually own a 3d printer at home?

The mats came out to CAD $212.79 after tax and delivery (no delivery fee for Costco orders).

Yes, I got into 3d printing recently and got one over Christmas to play around with. Useful to print useless things!! But paying off now for some of these accessories. ;)

• Love
I only used two, carvana and carmax. Both were totally online, no pics needed. This was about a month ago and carvana offered $19500 and carmax offered $15400. I'm sure prices will change, but I will try again as I get closer to delivery.
Oh, forgot to mention that carvana will come to your house and pick up your car. Check or direct deposit is supposed to follow in a couple days. Reviewers were quite pleased on how easy it was.

The mats came out to CAD $212.79 after tax and delivery (no delivery fee for Costco orders).

Yes, I got into 3d printing recently and got one over Christmas to play around with. Useful to print useless things!! But paying off now for some of these accessories. ;)
3D printer sounds fun -- guess I may get one too lol

And with the costco floor mats -- was the delivery time reasonable or did you order like 1-2 months in advance?