Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well.... what a DUCKING roller coaster.

EDD was June 1 - July 6, but Saturday SA called and said someone cancelled and I could pick up this Thursday/Friday if I wanted to take the vehicle early!
Of Course I said yes, but had some questions:
  • Was my car one that was impacted by the chargeport shortage?
    • SA: NOPE - Not seeing any notes in the system about that, so your car will be ready for pickup as soon as we inspect & detail it!
Today I called just to check before scheduling time off to pickup the car (it's a 2hr drive one way). I asked her if the truck was still due in on Weds because I was taking Thursday/Friday off if so. She says - it was pushed back to Friday. But, since it's looking like it'll be here early in the morning, let me check with the delivery center and see if I can get you in Friday afternoon. If not, we'll shoot for Saturday morning.

SOOOOO - the bad. She called just now and said the car actually was impacted by the charging port shortage. She had no idea when the part would arrive in Indy or how long it would take to install after they got it. Then I asked if it had the Matrix headlights and she said no. She asked why that was a big deal. I explained the difference, and the fact that this is how the car was advertised when I ordered it. She seemed to get a bit of an attitude..... then told me "Teslas are always upgrading - there's never the right-time to buy one." I tried to tell her that it's not an upgrade to go from the new matrix headlights back to the old school ones but she continued to talk over me every time I tried. Asked if I passed on this car, would I go back to the June 1 to July 6 date & she said there's no way to tell. "You were lucky I was able to find this one for you that was an exact match." I'm feeling less lucky today than I did 2 days ago when she first called. Asked if there was any way to throw in some supercharging miles or Accelleration boost and she seemed to get offended. I really didn't get short, or rude with her, just a new customer asking some questions. I'm not sure which part made her so upset, but her tone was waaaaay different than the first couple of times we spoke.

Long story story short - I was waiting till June/July. Now my car was days away. Now my car is still days away, but who knows when they'll have the charging port so I can take delivery of it. Oh - and no Matrix headlights.

Build date was April 23. VIN# 239xxx

For all of you checking, The non-matrix headlights apparently go back to before 241/242xxx.

Still holding out that this process will go back to a positive one. I really enjoyed the first few conversations I had with the SA. She's been quick to reply and very friendly. Maybe she could sense the disappointment in my voice when she told me she screwed up about the charging port issue and was on the defensive.

I'm done ranting now
Bummer! My excitement over the car has declined since first ordering. I think it's due to a fear of a similar situation. Think you finally reached the finish line, only to find out there are still hoops to jump through, and you aren't getting the specifications you anticipated getting when the car finally is ready. I'm trying to stay positive but there are too many negative experiences shared through this site that makes me hesitant to get excited until I physically see what I have in front of me.

• Informative
Reactions: Junior86

EDD was June 1 - July 6, but Saturday SA called and said someone cancelled and I could pick up this Thursday/Friday if I wanted to take the vehicle early!
    • SA: NOPE - Not seeing any notes in the system about that, so your car will be ready for pickup as soon as we inspect & detail it!
Today I called just to check before scheduling time off to pickup the car (it's a 2hr drive one way). I asked her if the truck was still due in on Weds because I was taking Thursday/Friday off if so. She says - it was pushed back to Friday. But, since it's looking like it'll be here early in the morning, let me check with the delivery center and see if I can get you in Friday afternoon. If not, we'll shoot for Saturday morning.

SOOOOO - the bad. She called just now and said the car actually was impacted by the charging port shortage. She had no idea when the part would arrive in Indy or how long it would take to install after they got it. Then I asked if it had the Matrix headlights and she said no. She asked why that was a big deal. I explained the difference, and the fact that this is how the car was advertised when I ordered it. She seemed to get a bit of an attitude..... then told me "Teslas are always upgrading - there's never the right-time to buy one." I tried to tell her that it's not an upgrade to go from the new matrix headlights back to the old school ones but she continued to talk over me every time I tried. Asked if I passed on this car, would I go back to the June 1 to July 6 date & she said there's no way to tell. "You were lucky I was able to find this one for you that was an exact match." I'm feeling less lucky today than I did 2 days ago when she first called. Asked if there was any way to throw in some supercharging miles or Accelleration boost and she seemed to get offended. I really didn't get short, or rude with her, just a new customer asking some questions. I'm not sure which part made her so upset, but her tone was waaaaay different than the first couple of times we spoke.

Long story story short - I was waiting till June/July. Now my car was days away. Now my car is still days away, but who knows when they'll have the charging port so I can take delivery of it. Oh - and no Matrix headlights.

For all of you checking, The non-matrix headlights apparently go back to before 241/242xxx.

Still holding out that this process will go back to a positive one. I really enjoyed the first few conversations I had with the SA. She's been quick to reply and very friendly. Maybe she could sense the disappointment in my voice when she told me she screwed up about the charging port issue and was on the defensive.

I'm done ranting now
Tesla never advertised Model 3s as coming with matrix headlights.

I'm done ranting now
This does epitomize the highs and lows of ordering a Tesla.

And a general question for everyone has to ask themselves is, what is the deal breaker feature that would make you not accept your new MLR3? Is it the matrix headlights? What if you got the new (MIC style) tail lights but no matrix headlights? And keep in mind Tesla might pull other shenanigans with other things that we feel like we're owed, so even if you wait it out for the matrix headlights you could lose something else like maybe the Ryzen chip and/or dual pane glass?

I'm not looking for answers from people, and everyone will have different deal breaks than others, but want to make people aware that other changes could happen later.

Reactions: jpaychek
I think we need a "my SA hates me" support group. I mentioned that I'm seeing folks who ordered around me receive their VINs and schedule deliveries. I asked if he could soft match me or provide any further detail on where I was on the queue. His response? He quoted my EDD. May 10-24. I know they're busy and probably sick and tired of people asking the same questions over and over.
We have the same config, almost the same OD (mine is 2/11), updated to a 2 week window the same day (4/26), and have the same EDD right now (5/10 - 5/24). I bet we get our VINs the same day!

Reactions: wblwrites
Tesla never advertised Model 3s as coming with matrix headlights.
Ok - technically true. But they started producing them with the Matrix lights. Which I thought were pretty cool. Now (in some cases) they're not. Hard to argue that's not a downgrade. I've been contemplating not taking delivery, but in the end, I think I'll just take it as-is. They're headlights. I'm excited to have the car with or without them.

I'm more disappointed that I asked about the charging port and was assured it wasn't impacted by that brief parts shortage - got my hopes up to go get the car this week & now there's no telling when I'll get it. Guess I'll cancel the insurance until I have a new "real" delivery window.

I reached out to my SA about the matrix headlights (even though I don’t have a VIN assigned yet), and the manager from my local dealership responded with:
“At this time, yes the Model 3 vehicles that are being delivered do not have the new headlamps. We are not sure when production will make that change to those Matrix headlamps. When you are matched with a vin we can check your vehicle specifically”.

I personally didn’t even know about the headlights when ordering, and quite honestly just want LED headlights versus my current/previous vehicles non-LED. Not entirely sure how much the matrix ones are different as I haven’t researched them a lot.
There’s a good video on YouTube showing the advantage of matrix lights. It’s much more than being able to perform the ‘light show’. Matrix lights will give you maximum illumination while cutting off LED’s that might blind oncoming drivers. It’s a marvel of engineering (hardware and software). People (like me) who have poor night vision appreciate what matrix lights provide. I really hope my M3 gets matrix lights.

I'm done ranting now
Did you indicate to your SA in the past that you'd be willing to take a cancellation, or did she just call you as you were likely the next in line? I'm curious how that works, and if they mark your account as someone to contact when cancel or rejects happen.

For people who have taken delivery or have a delivery date scheduled.
Got my VIN a few days ago and my 4 day EDD is 2 weeks out. I need to provide insurance information, but dont know when to start the insurance as i dont have an option to select pickup date. Should I wait till I get the notification to schedule delivery? What is the best course.

Ok - technically true. But they started producing them with the Matrix lights. Which I thought were pretty cool. Now (in some cases) they're not. Hard to argue that's not a downgrade. I've been contemplating not taking delivery, but in the end, I think I'll just take it as-is. They're headlights. I'm excited to have the car with or without them.

I'm more disappointed that I asked about the charging port and was assured it wasn't impacted by that brief parts shortage - got my hopes up to go get the car this week & now there's no telling when I'll get it. Guess I'll cancel the insurance until I have a new "real" delivery window.
I’m a current victim of the charging port shortage. My car is physically at the dealership as of last week Just waiting on the part to come in and get installed. I went to the dealer today to ask about my car that has been there for a week and my SA said the part is due in on Monday the 9th and since she knows Ive been in rental car since April 21st, she put me on a list with 4 other cars to get priority installation when the parts doesn’t arrive. She said figure on delivery being next week Tuesday through Thursday now that I am on their “High Priority” list.

Update: I emailed [email protected] last week about getting refunded the $95 difference for the wall connector that I purchased a couple weeks ago before the price drop. They just got back to me and are refunding me the difference, although importantly they said that it’s because I’m still in the return window. So if you ordered a wall connector a while ago (I’m not sure how long the return window is) then you probably wouldn’t get refunded the difference.
If they honor mine I'll make $95 because my electric company has a rebate of us to $500 and I've already submitted the receipt to them showing the previous price. I feel a little dirty for doing that but I'm going to do it because without the registration they won't process the rebate and if more than 75 Tesla owners get their rebate before me it drops to $250. I'll chalk this up to my reward for being jerked around with EDDs. :)

Got my VIN a few days ago and my 4 day EDD is 2 weeks out. I need to provide insurance information, but dont know when to start the insurance as i dont have an option to select pickup date. Should I wait till I get the notification to schedule delivery? What is the best course.
I have Geico and they said they could quote me the price and have it ready for the day I call and say that I'm picking the car up. That's usually the case with most companies in my experience.

Reactions: JB47394
Not sure if this varies by state or not but I gave them the policy # of a currently owned vehicle. Where I live at least that provides coverage for a short period of time after taking delivery. I'd call your insurance company to verify.

Reactions: JB47394
Congrats. SA reached out to you to schedule the delivery or were you able to do that on your own? My EDD changed to May 2-6 today and I don’t have any update on the delivery date yet.
Same. My EDD keeps changing by one every day since Saturday. I was told the car is there and they're just getting it prepped whatever that means...I am also unable to schedule a date it just says check back later.

Not sure if this varies by state or not but I gave them the policy # of a currently owned vehicle. Where I live at least that provides coverage for a short period of time after taking delivery. I'd call your insurance company to verify.
I asked about that, but because I'm financing, the policy document has to list the finance company. Therefore showing a copy of my current insurance wasn't going to cut it. I went ahead and purchased a policy when they said my car was going to be available this week. Unfortunately now I'm waiting on the charge port so I'll probably cancel until that's sorted out. It only takes a few minutes to get a policy set up, so I'd wait until you have the option of scheduling your pickup before buying a new policy. This is just my $0.02 so do what works best for you.

Did you indicate to your SA in the past that you'd be willing to take a cancellation, or did she just call you as you were likely the next in line? I'm curious how that works, and if they mark your account as someone to contact when cancel or rejects happen.
I did tell my SA I was willing to take other colors, or even a P model if someone in Indy canceled. Not sure if that's what got me this VIN or if it's because the canceled one was the exact same spec I ordered and was headed to the same city already. I suspect the latter. Can't hurt to let your SA know if there's other options you're willing to accept

Reactions: Jtownhawk