Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same exact issue. We have close enough ODs and EDDs, and are geographically close.

My EDD is 5/5-5/17. Previously it was 5/3-5/17. This pattern has happened 4x so far.

Please update if your EDD moves or VIN. I'm curious if there's a pattern here for some folks.

Will do! It's been quite frustrating, but I console myself with the fact that I'm still within my original May-June window.

------------------------------------
OD: 2/15, M3LR, Black, B&W, 19, FSD, SF Bay Area, No Trade-In

Original EDD: May-June
<a few one-month windows>
<a few two-week windows>
Latest EDD: 5/7 - 5/21

96 days since OD and counting....

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 3.38.21 PM.png

Just another set of data points....White ext., Aero, Black interior, no FSD, partially financed, no trade-in.....Reno, NV
(TMC order tracker updated today)

Order Date: 2/11 (profile completed 2/14)
Once profile was completed - EDD March 16-31
Financing expired on 4/18, resubmitted info within a few hours.
EDD Pushed back 3x , I didn't track the actual dates.
until yesterday, my EDD was April 22 - May 20
4/25/22 - EDD pushed back to May 9th - June 6th.

Just random info....I currently drive a Mustang Mach E, premium, AWD standard range. I'm selling this and replacing with the M3LR above. MachE is smooth driving and a little quieter but the difference is marginal; however, range isn't good and Ford's approach to technology, updates, and UI is old school and frustrating.

I put a deposit on a MachE CA Rt. 1, AWD extended range on 1/26/22 before I decided I wanted a M3LR. As a point of reference, I've received no updates from Ford and their forum groups aren't as organized. As frustrating as this experience with Tesla has been, it is much worse with Ford.

I also put a MachE Premium on hold with a Fall 22 EDD. Was going to cancel it when my M3LR arrived. My initial concerns were update frequency and initial quality based on the Munro Live YouTube teardown.

Last edited:
Exactly!!!!!! How hard is it to just say hey Mr or Mrs such and such, just wanting to let you know your vehicle has arrived but we are waiting for a charge port. It should be a few more days or weeks or whatever. We'll let you know when it arrives and keep you in the loop. How fkn hard is that. Like I said in a earlier post they act like we're moving bricks or something.

Instead all I get is a generic reply, it's being prepped and we'll reach out to you when it's ready. The lack of communication is really disheartening to say the least and a huge turn off to the brand. My sis ordered an id.4 and I ordered a c40. Was kept updated the entire time from production to delivery. They even let us know when they were being loaded on the boat.
A little birdie told me that Tesla is doing this on a regular basis. Apparently, there are a LOT of Teslas leaving the factory without charge ports (to charge the car). The idea is that the local Tesla dealers can install the part, and get the car out of the factory. Mine was supposed to be ready this week, and they already bumped my delivery time a week forward. Of course, I'm sure that this will also help Tesla's quarterly sales numbers. Note the complete lack of messages of people receiving completed cars here. My local Tesla dealer won't tell me whether other cars have a similar problem, but since there is no denial either, I think the problem is obvious. He also said that he would no longer schedule appointments for delivery from the store itself. Happy waiting!

Congrats! Guess you are getting your car before me. Maybe my car is missing a part.

What’s your VIN range? Please report back on what headlights you get too
Does seem like the car/order was prioritized due to paint/FSD. Its the first car I've seen getting delivered to Canada with an early March order date. Just my observations from reading and comparing orders :)

Reactions: Willis Llu
Not my domain but how would you set up the optimization? What would be the output variable and what would be the loss function?

The optimization target would be minimum overall financial cost, subject to many constraints, like trying to get most cars delivered without too much latency. Inputs would be expected production rate and their materials planning, as well as transportation trucks. Outputs would be the truck route planning, when to produce batches with the same paint color. A first principles solution probably couldn't be done so there would need to be many approximations and heuristics.

Reactions: Hiline and jpaychek
Wow congrats! Ordered a day after me and my EDD hasn't changed. Did you just get assigned a VIN today? I wonder if it was a cancellation. I am in Toronto too.
Honestly not sure when I got my vin. It appeared in the app just today but it may have been sitting in my purchase order for a while (not sure). I have been sitting at a Mid May- Early June range for a few weeks but on Tuesday the range shrank to a couple of days and I started getting emails and updates from Tesla.

I've been using this community as intel for the last few months; however, I've been compelled to join due my growing concern over the omission of Matrix Headlights (as reported by the community). My M3LR OD is 2/19, and I have a current EDD of 5/13-5/27.

Has anyone taken receipt of a M3LR as of late to confirm this issue and/or is there data (sheet) providing historic info on this current phenomenon. I certainly hope Tesla has reverted back to using Matrix for all May+ builds. Tesla SA's have been hush on the subject and/or reluctant to expand - perhaps to avoid contentious customers.

I've been using this community as intel for the last few months; however, I've been compelled to join due my growing concern over the omission of Matrix Headlights (as reported by the community). My M3LR OD is 2/19, and I have a current EDD of 5/13-5/27.

Has anyone taken receipt of a M3LR as of late to confirm this issue and/or is there data (sheet) providing historic info on this current phenomenon. I certainly hope Tesla has reverted back to using Matrix for all May+ builds. Tesla SA's have been hush on the subject and/or reluctant to expand - perhaps to avoid contentious customers.
The Matrix headlight issue is a real thing. A lot is just speculation, but it appears that it has only affected late April production models (so far).
Rumors state that supply issues caused them to use a shipping container of the old-style lights until they got more Matrix lights in.
Another thread stated that the issue was that the Matrix lights come from the China factory, and since they were shut down, this is what caused the shortage.

My credit union said I'll need the following to lock my loan in but I would imagine some, if not all, of the requirements are documents I'll get after the VIN. Any thoughts?
  • Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement
  • Motor Vehicle Order Agreement
  • Payment Instructions
Correct, I just wrapped up my financing with my CU. They needed the MVPA and payment instructions. This was their first Tesla deal so they also needed to verify that their name was going to be on the lien. Section 5 line D on the MVPA is the only confirmation they will get - per tesla SA.

The Matrix headlight issue is a real thing. A lot is just speculation, but it appears that it has only affected late April production models (so far).
Rumors state that supply issues caused them to use a shipping container of the old-style lights until they got more Matrix lights in.
Another thread stated that the issue was that the Matrix lights come from the China factory, and since they were shut down, this is what caused the shortage.
Thanks for this insight. I've recently read the Shanghai Factory is now working at 80% capacity, and operating in a "Beast Mode" pace so to speak, so hopefully the same can be said about the Matrix headlight manufacturer - albeit I've read both lights (new vs old) are built in Mexico. I'm eager to see what transpires in the weeks ahead, and certainly hope any/all Matrix headlight inventory is shipped by plane, not container, which can take months.

Reactions: jpaychek and T-J-
Hi there, when were you assigned your VIN and what's your delivery date? Wondering if all the new VINs are coming with the Matrix headlights. My OD is 2/20 and I am still waiting for the VIN. Thank you.
Hello, when my VIN was assigned (on a Sunday early morning...thru App and no text or email), my EDD shrunk to 4 day window (5/15 to 5/19) and the option to scheudle a delivery date was not enabled. When I had a call with Tesla advisor he said he could schedule a delivery date from his side and even mentioned the car could be avail a day earlier than the EDD and thus scheduled for 5/14 as of now. He also mentioned it could change and if it does the delivery center will let me know as my car is still on transit and if there are any delays due to that.

Reg the Matrix headlights, as we are hearing confirmations that the very latest VINS are having Matrix it could be safe to assume when you get a VIN you should be set with latest Matrix headlights (assuming you are getting a new VIN and not the VIN from someone's cancellation).

Reactions: jpaychek
Hello, when my VIN was assigned (on a Sunday early morning...thru App and no text or email), my EDD shrunk to 4 day window (5/15 to 5/19) and the option to scheudle a delivery date was not enabled. When I had a call with Tesla advisor he said he could schedule a delivery date from his side and even mentioned the car could be avail a day earlier than the EDD and thus scheduled for 5/14 as of now. He also mentioned it could change and if it does the delivery center will let me know as my car is still on transit and if there are any delays due to that.

Reg the Matrix headlights, as we are hearing confirmations that the very latest VINS are having Matrix it could be safe to assume when you get a VIN you should be set with latest Matrix headlights (assuming you are getting a new VIN and not the VIN from someone's cancellation)

What config do you order and what area? When was your OD?

Thank You

My EDD is May 6 -May 20th so do you think I can get a VIN soon or no?
I refrained from posting that notion several times because a number of people have EDDs that open very soon - but they're not seeing VINs even as those with optional features are. I would assume that minimum specification vehicles have another four weeks or so. I hope you can prove me wrong.

Reactions: Gor88 and Junior86