Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my LR on 3/12 and was notified I had a VIN at the end of May, then got a text my car had shipped on 6/1 to my SC here in Tampa. Right now I have a window of 6/13-6/19. My VIN is 264xxx, which in reading others from a similar time-frame seems much lower. What could that be?

I also have not heard from a SR even though my EDD window opens up on Monday. How soon before you pick up do you hear from someone??

As part of my delivery tasks, I added insurance for the soon-to-be-delivered car through my regular carrier, State Farm. They sent me a temporary coverage card for the car (including VIN, NAIC#, policy number, and full coverages listed), good until August 4 at which time, the car will be added to my regular proof of insurance card when I renew all three vehicles at once. I uploaded the temporary proof card to the Tesla app and it was checked off as completed.

Now in the Tesla app under Insurance, it says “Insurance Expiring - Your insurance is expiring soon. You’ll need to provide insurance details for an active policy before taking delivery” (see attachment).

I am wondering if anyone can provide some guidance here. It IS an active policy, which is obvious from the policy number. I am scheduled to pick up the car on June 20, and obviously the coverage will not be lapsing before delivery. So, who can tell me 1) what additional proof of insurance am I going to need to show before taking delivery? and 2) why would Tesla care about insurance coverage after August since it will be my car after June 20th anyway?

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 4.49.34 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gor88
Guys while I'm still waiting to pick up on June 14th (or earlier if I get lucky), I wanted to share my experience selling my car to Carmax.

I initially wanted to trade my car to Tesla, but their offer didn't impress me. I got a couple of online quotes from Carvana and Carmax and decided to try my luck as I was very skeptical that they would honor their offers. Luckily my car was in good shape and Carmax's appraisal took about 20 mins before they confirmed their initial quote. I accepted it and sold the car in less than an hour, super happy I was able to get the full value for my car and not settle for Tesla's trade in offer. I encourage anyone wanting to trade their car to check out Carmax and other sellers online, apparently the current used car market is crazy.

As part of my delivery tasks, I added insurance for the soon-to-be-delivered car through my regular carrier, State Farm. They sent me a temporary coverage card for the car (including VIN, NAIC#, policy number, and full coverages listed), good until August 4 at which time, the car will be added to my regular proof of insurance card when I renew all three vehicles at once. I uploaded the temporary proof card to the Tesla app and it was checked off as completed.

Now in the Tesla app under Insurance, it says “Insurance Expiring - Your insurance is expiring soon. You’ll need to provide insurance details for an active policy before taking delivery” (see attachment).

I am wondering if anyone can provide some guidance here. It IS an active policy, which is obvious from the policy number. I am scheduled to pick up the car on June 20, and obviously the coverage will not be lapsing before delivery. So, who can tell me 1) what additional proof of insurance am I going to need to show before taking delivery? and 2) why would Tesla care about insurance coverage after August since it will be my car after June 20th anyway?

View attachment 815130
It seems many of us have had to contact our SA for help with the insurance, I would recommend that.

My VIN is 264xxx, which in reading others from a similar time-frame seems much lower. What could that be?
I don't know what you are basing this on. Based on a random post from someone in Utah, they got a VIN on 5/29 of 266xxx so your "end of May" VIN seems to be fairly inline to me...
I also have not heard from a SR even though my EDD window opens up on Monday. How soon before you pick up do you hear from someone??
It depends on the SA, but theoretically if you've done everything you need to you, on their end direct communication isn't required. If you have a question/issue you feel needs addressed you can respond to the text you should've received after ordering and an SA will reach out to you or call the 800 number or chat.

Last edited:
Interesting issue. Need advice from people who have driven Teslas, and perhaps those a little older.
I have delivery arranged for this Tuesday. Dropped in to the sales centre today and, for the first time, sat in a model 3. Now, I normally wear reading glasses when on a computer but I can't wear reading glasses to drive a car. It did not occur to me that I will be driving a computer, rather than a car. Anyone else have to deal with this? Looking for strategies. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Guylo and jpaychek
Interesting issue. Need advice from people who have driven Teslas, and perhaps those a little older.
I have delivery arranged for this Tuesday. Dropped in to the sales centre today and, for the first time, sat in a model 3. Now, I normally wear reading glasses when on a computer but I can't wear reading glasses to drive a car. It did not occur to me that I will be driving a computer, rather than a car. Anyone else have to deal with this? Looking for strategies. Thanks in advance.
You should probably post this is in the general model 3 section as this thread by-and-large is people that have yet to take delivery of the car.

Reactions: CEEV and Nfletcher

View attachment 815130
First off, North Carolina here so your mileage may vary. State Farm is whom I use as well - I had them do a “dummy policy” which was what they call a “binder”. They basically wrote the policy and cancelled it the same day, but the paperwork shows it’s insured.

Back to the North Carolina statement - under NC law regarding car insurance, if you buy a car you’re covered under you’re current insurance poilicy as NC allows for ~30 days. Inside of said 30 days you need to put a backdated policy that starts the day you took possession of the new to you vehicle. It is on the person to notify the insurance company of said changes.

Sounds like you need to just have the dates changed or have a new “binder” with new dates on it from State Farm.

Sorry this is a little late for my post. Took delivery last Friday. Everything was perfect. Unfortunately has the Premium lights but they are still pretty good compared to most headlights. Very happy with the car so far. Have had the front PPF completed, Braelin 19" wheels and accessories installed. Thanks to everyone for all the sharing of information and wish you all the best with your cars.

View attachment 815130
I flipped the dates on their form, that might be it.