Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting to wonder if it would be better to just go with a Model Y Long Range. If they are truly going to wait for the highland refresh to release the Model 3 Long Range that looks to be maybe August or September and being a refresh I worry there might be some issues to work out. I’ve always been advised to never buy the first Year after a big refresh. Wonder if this advice holds true for Tesla as well.

Starting to wonder if it would be better to just go with a Model Y Long Range. If they are truly going to wait for the highland refresh to release the Model 3 Long Range that looks to be maybe August or September and being a refresh I worry there might be some issues to work out. I’ve always been advised to never buy the first Year after a big refresh. Wonder if this advice holds true for Tesla as well.
Just did some insurance quotes and the Model Y is a bit more expensive per year. I had read on here or Reddit that people were getting lower quotes for the Model Y so I had hope. But now it’s back to being all in on waiting for a Long Range Model 3.

This is a picture that's making the rounds right now which is speculated to be the refreshed Model 3. I've scaled the picture down, but you can show it in a separate tab to see it in all its dead-bug-covered glory.

Alleged-Tesla-model-3-refresh.jpg

Here's the reddit discussion of the picture. (I just made it a text link because the embedded link was messing up).

Reactions: jpaychek and 42M3
The U.S. Treasury said Today that Volkswagen, BMW, Nissan(NSANF), Rivian, Hyundai and Volvo Cars electric vehicles will lose access to a $7,500 tax credit under new rules for battery sourcing.

The Treasury said the new requirements effective on Tuesday will also cut by half credits for the Tesla Inc Model 3 Standard Range Rear Wheel Drive to $3,750 but that other Tesla models will retain the full $7,500 credit.

Vehicles losing credits on Tuesday are the BMW 330e, BMW X5 xDrive45e, Genesis Electrified GV70, Nissan Leaf, Rivian R1S and R1T, Volkswagen ID.4 as well as the plug-in hybrid electric Audi Q5 TFSI e Quattro and plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) Volvo S60. The Swedish carmaker is 82%-owned by China'sZhejiang Geely Holding Group.

The IRA requires that

1) 50% of the value of battery components be produced or assembled in North America to qualify for $3,750,

2) 40% of the value of critical minerals be sourced from the United States or a free trade partner for a $3,750 credit.

3) required vehicles to be assembled in North America to qualify for any tax credits

So with prices decreasing again just now for the Standard Range, but staying the same for the Performance, I wonder what price the Long Range will be once it shows up again. Has anyone with an order reservation for the Long Range seen any price decreases from the initial order on the agreement or have they stayed the same?

Reactions: King David
So with prices decreasing again just now for the Standard Range, but staying the same for the Performance, I wonder what price the Long Range will be once it shows up again. Has anyone with an order reservation for the Long Range seen any price decreases from the initial order on the agreement or have they stayed the same?
No price decrease yet. Base price is still showing up as $49,990.

Reactions: King David
Tesla cuts US prices for sixth time this year
REUTERS 11:23 PM ET 4/18/2023

April 18 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc(TSLA) cut prices for some of its Model Y and Model 3 electric vehicles in the United States, its website showed late on Tuesday, the sixth time it has lowered U.S. prices this year amid concerns about the effect on its profit margins.

Tesla cut the prices of its Model Y 'long range' and 'performance' vehicles by $3000 each and that of its Model 3 'rear-wheel drive' by $2000 to $39,990.(from $41,000)

Reactions: jboy210 and enemji
Given the SR 3 just lost half its tax credit sounds like time to bring back the LR. Should only costs @$3k more. With a full $7500 tax credit it would be less expensive.
Nah. Elon will reduce the price to keep that incentive for the buyer rather than disrupt the Model Y AWD supply.

Who wants to buy a Model 3?

1. A single person or a couple, and who is a daily commuter with No kids, and possibly saving for a new house —> Model 3 RWD

The moment you bring kids into the equation, you need space for car seats, and be able to throw in their soccer or baseball etc equipment quickly. This —> Model Y

2. Someone who loves to drive spiritedly and sometimes aggressively. —> Model 3 Performance.

So define the Model 3 AWD customer. Someone who likes to have power but cannot handle the harsh rides of the performance model. Basically an old person.

Last edited:
So define the Model 3 AWD customer. Someone who likes to have power but cannot handle the harsh rides of the performance model. Basically an old person.
Whoa there, hey now. I am decidedly not in the "old" class yet. Try someone who lives in a rural community prone to harsh weather and poorly maintained roads who wants the security of the extra range and better handling, but doesn't want to foot the cost to replace impractical 20" rims and tires. Offer me a 3P with 18s and I'm swapping my order.

Whoa there, hey now. I am decidedly not in the "old" class yet. Try someone who lives in a rural community prone to harsh weather and poorly maintained roads who wants the security of the extra range and better handling, but doesn't want to foot the cost to replace impractical 20" rims and tires. Offer me a 3P with 18s and I'm swapping my order.
Exactly this. Don't need the space as the family already has an SUV and in the Northeast don't want to invest in a 2nd set of wheels...

Reactions: Diceroller and 42M3
Exactly. The Model 3 Long Range checks all my boxes. Having to replace the Rims the day I pick up the car is why the performance is a no go for me too. Also, my insurance quoted the Model Y way above the Model 3.

Last edited:
Those are outliers and SOP decisions are not made on outliers

Those are outliers and SOP decisions are not made on outliers
Subjectively labeling criteria as "outliers" doesn't make it true. If Tesla hadn't halted LR orders and high volume production, I'm confident they would have continued to sell like hotcakes. Folks are choosing the other trims because they're available, not because LRs are unpopular.

Subjectively labeling criteria as "outliers" doesn't make it true. If Tesla hadn't halted LR orders and high volume production, I'm confident they would have continued to sell like hotcakes. Folks are choosing the other trims because they're available, not because LRs are unpopular.
Exactly, I ordered a 3LR because I wanted a road trip car. Lots of range and AWD for fun weather and mountain passes. I have no use for the extra performance of the 3P and the RWDs reduced battery size is not appealing to me. The Y doesn’t quite have the same range and I just am not that interested in SUV’s / crossovers.

Of course they’d still sell like hotcakes; that’s the problem. Tesla doesn’t WANT to sell them when they can put the same battery in a higher margin M3P or Model Y. That’s the ONLY reason the 3LR isn’t available.

The day you see Tesla unable to sell every Model Y and 3P they can make is the day you’ll see the 3LR come back.

Of course they’d still sell like hotcakes; that’s the problem. Tesla doesn’t WANT to sell them when they can put the same battery in a higher margin M3P or Model Y. That’s the ONLY reason the 3LR isn’t available.

The day you see Tesla unable to sell every Model Y and 3P they can make is the day you’ll see the 3LR come back.
I completely agree. I only mentioned that to address the person who said only elderly people want an LR.

Hopefully that day falls within my updated EDD window. :)

I completely agree. I only mentioned that to address the person who said only elderly people want an LR.

Hopefully that day falls within my updated EDD window. :)
I cannot imagine that would have shortened the delivery window without being somewhat certain that it was going to be released in that time frame. Otherwise they would have just left it alone and jumped to the next window once the end of the current window approached like they’ve done in the past.

Last edited: