Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all. Recently took delivery of a 2023 M3 LR AWD. Wanted to share my timeline.

Aug 5 - Order placed + mobile charger
Aug 6 - Mobile charger shipped
Aug 8 - VIN received
Aug 9 - Mobile charger delivered
Aug 14 - Took delivery

Build:
Origin - Looks to be from Fremont based on VIN.
Wheels - 18 inch aero.
Tyres - Hankook Ventus S1 AS, which I've haven't previously seen on M3s yet. (Started a thread about it here if anyone has thoughts)
Battery - "Daily" & "Trip", so I'm presuming battery is not LFP.

Initial issues:
- Couple of door rattles + speaker static sounds but got those fixed right away. Seemed like a common issue as they knew what it was off the bat.
- Driver's side doors alignment was off.
- A couple of window seal gaps.
- Steering alignment was a little off, but quickly fixed.
- Tyre pressure all around was about 5 psi above recommended.

Overall, delivery went pretty smoothly, and the issues did not really bother me as they were easily fixed with no fuss.

Also, what helped was I had my own extensive walk around checklist I brought on delivery day, so it helped me identify these issues right away to let them know asap.

I've driven many EV's but this is nothing like I've experienced before. Loving the car so far!
I’m wondering if the tire difference is why the range has dropped 25 miles from the 2022 LR AWD. I’m at Tesla in Charlotte, NC with my friend picking up his new LR AWD 3 and it has the Hankook tires.

Reactions: bckelowna
I’m wondering if the tire difference is why the range has dropped 25 miles from the 2022 LR AWD. I’m at Tesla in Charlotte, NC with my friend picking up his new LR AWD 3 and it has the Hankook tires.
LG battery instead of Panasonic.

Tires wouldn’t make that big of a difference and the tires are also shared with RWD which has not changed in range rating.

LG battery instead of Panasonic.

Tires wouldn’t make that big of a difference and the tires are also shared with RWD which has not changed in range rating.
Tires can make a 25 mile difference. We put a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II on our LR AWD 3 and believe it or not, but energy consumption spiked by nearly 40%. I was shocked. After 1000 miles the consumption hadn’t improved so we swapped them out for the Michelins and energy consumption immediately went back to normal. I also saw a huge swing going from PS4S to MXM4 on my old 3P. It was a 20% improvement in efficiency/range. I went from averaging about 310-320wh/mi at 78mph to around 260wh/mi.

These new Ventus S1 AS do seem to be quite efficient. Don’t know how they compare to the MXM4 head to head, but efficiency was very good. On his journey home yesterday with cruise set to 75mph my friend averaged 229wh/mi over 191 miles of interstate driving. Much better than his older LR AWD 3 which averaged around 255wh/mi at the same speed.

I’ve still not seen confirmation of the LG pack in the ‘23 LR AWD. There’s been a lot of speculation, but nobody has said for sure that’s the case. Has someone done a tear down or shown for sure that’s what it is? I also saw someone mention possibly 4680 cells…

LG makes me a little nervous. They have a track record of problems with the Kona, Bolt, and I-Pace. I know these are completely different cells, but still, just the name LG does make me a little nervous after all the problems with other EVs.

Made a 5AM half awake decision to buy this morning, and by the afternoon had all the paperwork done. Unfortunately didn't have time to go pick up because I had the title and paperwork at home :\

It is amazing to see how the M3LR I just ordered is several thousand cheaper than the M3 RWD I am trading in... better sound system, some fancy lights, and AWD? Count me in. Now just got to make the appointment for PPF/Ceramic this car... again! Maybe the tint shop has a repeat customer discount... :)