Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no own experience, but there are a lot of test reports (on youtube) where people compare different wheel covers of 18" wheels. The more or less same results lead me to conclude that the difference may not be the actual wheel size, but the wheel covers.
It seems that the Aero wheel covers are quite good in this respect, which is one of the reasons why I decided for the 18".
I took the covers off two days after getting it, just for aesthetics.

18" are better than 19" even without fuel consideration because they are cheaper, ride better, and resist flatting better (45 vs 40 profile). The obsession with low-profile tires has been the bane on my existence, living in new york where pot holes go months without attention. My last two cars had paper thin tires, and were flatting constantly, including a $1k wheel dent just a few months after getting the car.

Reactions: chinney
Do the 19” wheels really make a massive difference in range to the 18” wheels? Meaning if I get a new M3 with 19” wheels, does 100% on the car show the 330 or 315 or whatever the range is nowadays?

Here’s a test that car and driver performed just with the caps on or off. It surprised me how big of a difference it made.

Aero Cap Test

So after getting my Model 3 I have been reading so many different things about charging. Just read a long list on this Tweet. I charge mine to 80% everyday, but according to the list it is not the best idea. Any thoughts from long time owners or people with more experience? I guess I technically don't need the 80% daily. But more often than not, with stores being so far, an unplanned trip comes up and I like to have the car ready to go.

Battery Tweet

So after getting my Model 3 I have been reading so many different things about charging. Just read a long list on this Tweet. I charge mine to 80% everyday, but according to the list it is not the best idea. Any thoughts from long time owners or people with more experience? I guess I technically don't need the 80% daily. But more often than not, with stores being so far, an unplanned trip comes up and I like to have the car ready to go.

Battery Tweet
You’re doing great by the car! We all have the worry and read through everything when we get one with respect to charging. The only real advice is charge to what you need with enough of a buffer to feel safe (below 90 of course unless preparing for a trip). I started 6 months ago at 80 and now I typically let her set at 70. The battery and especially BMS are very good so just don’t go crazy on the charge and your car should be fine for many years to come.

Reactions: 42M3
You’re doing great by the car! We all have the worry and read through everything when we get one with respect to charging. The only real advice is charge to what you need with enough of a buffer to feel safe (below 90 of course unless preparing for a trip). I started 6 months ago at 80 and now I typically let her set at 70. The battery and especially BMS are very good so just don’t go crazy on the charge and your car should be fine for many years to come.
My car is still new, just over 500 mls so far.
I found that my typical commute needs about 35% of the battery capacity. For now I am charging on a schedule to 85% at start time, when coming back it sits at 50% or a little below until the next charging starts.
From what I gather, SoC at or below 55% reduces battery loss to a minimum over time - or so I hope. I guess I could further optimize by starting with 70% or so.

Got the car today!!! awesome!!
Why didn't I bought before?
Will make a 400km drive tomorrow!!!
Congratulations. Enjoy!

Did you already consider investing a bit into a mat set, window tinting, and - IMHO most important - paint protection?

I also got a dozen or so small aftermarket accessories in the last couple of weeks. Still waiting for some to arrive.

Reactions: bckelowna
Congratulations. Enjoy!

Did you already consider investing a bit into a mat set, window tinting, and - IMHO most important - paint protection?

I also got a dozen or so small aftermarket accessories in the last couple of weeks. Still waiting for some to arrive.
I bought the all weather from Tesla, will arrive on Monday, mandatory for Canadian weather lol.
I'm considering window tinting...
Not sure about paint protection capabilities yet, don't know if they help that much.
Bought a flat tire kit!

Just today I took an extra photo, now that tinting, PPF and 18" Uberturbine wheel caps are done - and a dozen or so other minor changes :cool: :D

IMG_20230810_213548_232.jpg

Hi, all. Recently took delivery of a 2023 M3 LR AWD. Wanted to share my timeline.

Aug 5 - Order placed + mobile charger
Aug 6 - Mobile charger shipped
Aug 8 - VIN received
Aug 9 - Mobile charger delivered
Aug 14 - Took delivery

Build:
Origin - Looks to be from Fremont based on VIN.
Wheels - 18 inch aero.
Tyres - Hankook Ventus S1 AS, which I've haven't previously seen on M3s yet. (Started a thread about it here if anyone has thoughts)
Battery - "Daily" & "Trip", so I'm presuming battery is not LFP.

Initial issues:
- Couple of door rattles + speaker static sounds but got those fixed right away. Seemed like a common issue as they knew what it was off the bat.
- Driver's side doors alignment was off.
- A couple of window seal gaps.
- Steering alignment was a little off, but quickly fixed.
- Tyre pressure all around was about 5 psi above recommended.

Overall, delivery went pretty smoothly, and the issues did not really bother me as they were easily fixed with no fuss.

Also, what helped was I had my own extensive walk around checklist I brought on delivery day, so it helped me identify these issues right away to let them know asap.

I've driven many EV's but this is nothing like I've experienced before. Loving the car so far!

Reactions: chiptoe and tb.dxb