Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my VIN today. Tesla wouldn't let me pick up on Saturday (7/1) even though its within the 3 day window. I released the VIN and next week I'll be assigned a new VIN. The whole "gotta make quarterly sales" thing is ridiculous. They tried strong arming me into picking up early, but no can do. Fingers crossed next week, this whole scheduling process will be much easier.

I am still waiting for the VIN, but the delivery window shrunk from 37 to 16 days. Now expected sometime in July.
But I guess delivery outside US is following a bit different rules.
Admittedly, I am excited enough to take a day off work. Anyhow, no travel plans.

I was surprised to learn that tesla does not build to order. On the one hand, that means that when you place your order it could possibly already be built. However my order was placed in June and immediately had the delivery date as may/June. Come July, it was updated to August /September.

I would be willing possibly to change the colour of the model to get it sooner, however there is no way of knowing what configurations are actually on their way.

Would it not make sense to publish or otherwise make known if a particular build was on its way? Surely this would avoid tesla having to store excess inventory and head to a better customer experience?

Darn.. an LFP AWD was sort of my dream 3. Still great!
I totally understand. After I ordered the talk about Highland and then LFP (in May when the LR was reintroduced)had me excited for getting more than I signed up for. It was a rollercoaster as I was initially disappointed with the new range being non LFP with a reduction in tax credit that washed out the new lower price! I seriously thought about waiting altogether. Then I relaxed and thought about what I really wanted in January and realized that the only change was 20 or so miles of range, with I wouldn't allow to be a deal breaker as I'd probably never let it get that low anyway!

And like I said, it was ultimately worth the wait. (Plus the full tax credit came back!!)

I like that they put it in the showroom. Nice touch! I did pick mine up in the service centre parking lot. I did not see any Tesla representative, but was guided through the process over the phone. Mind you, that was during the first wave of the pandemic, so it was understandable...and it was a great car anyway, and is still that way more than 3 years later.

Reactions: King David
Indeed, I thought so, too.
Over the last few weeks I had two different service advisors. Yesterday I met both of them, plus the delivery manager. They took their time for about one hour with me, together! Felt special attention.

M3LR2307111.jpg

Do the 19” wheels really make a massive difference in range to the 18” wheels? Meaning if I get a new M3 with 19” wheels, does 100% on the car show the 330 or 315 or whatever the range is nowadays?
I have no own experience, but there are a lot of test reports (on youtube) where people compare different wheel covers of 18" wheels. The more or less same results lead me to conclude that the difference may not be the actual wheel size, but the wheel covers.
It seems that the Aero wheel covers are quite good in this respect, which is one of the reasons why I decided for the 18".