Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR range is now listed @ 325 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's only been done by hypermilers intent on breaking the record. Basically, a constant 25 mph, straight flat road, no AC/heat, and all electronics possible shutdown. I imagine they may also have used different tires and maybe put a lot more air in them than normal. It's nothing you can achieve in "normal" driving. However, it is possible to go close to 400 miles in an LR RWD if you keep your speed at 55 mph or less on the freeway and refrain from AC/heat. In Oregon, this is possible if you stay in the truck lane aka no one will run over you :D. From what I've read of other states it might be suicidal. I used to drive 54 mph on I-5 all the time when I was returning from a long "mission" in the Leaf. As long as I stayed in the truck lane everything was cool.

That was meant to be just an IT geek joke. However, I never ever experienced consumption that would have given me more than some 260 miles of range for a full charge.

Mine has never changed as well. I've emailed Tesla 3 times and always get the same canned answer, it will be fixed in a future software update. 247 at 80% for me, used to be 248.

Pretty sure it never will be. 06/18 build, 32XXX VIN RWD LR.

I believe both extra weight and less efficiency due to the additional front drive unit (unlike when the AWD model S was superior in range to the RWD model S).

Why did Tesla kill the RWD model 3 — too much competition for model S?
For one thing, when your drive unit dies like mine just did, you're SOL. If you have AWD, you can still limp along with the other drive unit. They did replace it under warranty with a new one but failing with only 28k miles doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Hopefully this one lasts longer.

Reactions: Firedog7881
So much for 1,000,000 miles

You do realize the million miles expectation was a statement by Elon reflecting at how durable the drive unit is.

I’m not sure if you realize it wasn’t meant to imply that all drive units come perfect from the factory with no chance of failure. ....
Mechanical parts can fail. It happens.

Of all the drive units delivered, it seems there are relatively small numbers that have failed.

Not sure when you stated “ so much for the 1,000,000 miles”, you realized any of this...

Reactions: McFlurri
For one thing, when your drive unit dies like mine just did, you're SOL. If you have AWD, you can still limp along with the other drive unit. They did replace it under warranty with a new one but failing with only 28k miles doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Hopefully this one lasts longer.

Fairly certain that has proven to be incorrect and the AWD car cannot be driven if the rear motor fails

Reactions: slave0418
I believe that was proven to be false in the real world, no?

The S had two induction motors in it, and I believe the front was geared higher, which means you get AWD power on launch, but on highway crusiing, the AWD could freewheel the rear and pull the car with the front motor only, allowing for better range.

The model 3 doesn't seem to have the same advantage, with the AWD rated for 310 miles, LR RWD 331 miles.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Are you referring to only Model 3 or any of the AWD Teslas? I haven't scoured for this information, can you link a thread that discusses this?

Only to model 3
There are a few stories of people on this forum that experienced a rear motor issue. The car was inoperable.

Here is one, there are a couple of others
Rear Drive Unit Failed

Last edited:
Reactions: slave0418
So it sounds like the majority of you never saw the bump in range, and if you did, it was short lived. I don't think it was degradation that brought it back down though.
I have updated my car as soon as I received the updates; currently on 2019.32.2.2 anxiously awaiting V10.

I just think the "325" is smoke and mirrors. Your range will fluctuate depending on how you drive, where you drive and what climate you're driving in.

Thanks everyone for your input. Cheers!

I'm reading 327 average off the CAN bus...daily.

Sure your range will fluctuate depending on how you drive...sure, but I have never seen anything over 317 on the CAN bus until now.