Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR range is now listed @ 325 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR RWD delivered in April of 2018. I occasionally get skipped for firmware updates so don’t believe I ever got the one version that actually applied this patch.

As of right now, 100% is still 310 miles as calculated from my usual 80% charge point.

Reactions: 0ptions
The charge display in Range will be inaccurate the vast majority of the time. It goes based purely on "Battery storage in Wh divided by static rated Wh/mile". Your energy app average over time will give you more accurate, but driving conditions and driver behavior will always cause the end result to vary.

When I drive down most of Oregon, if I go 65 the whole way (and get passed by pretty much everybody) I get much more range than if I go the speed of traffic. I get more range going faster up the 5 through Washington the same distance also, because there are not as many stupid hills.

Gassies use MPG. They rate it at, for example, 25 MPG. Nobody in reality gets that. But if the "Miles to E" calculation uses only the 25 MPG, and it knows it's 10 gallons to E, then it'll always rate 250 miles to E, even though in reality people get maybe 21 MPG and so only have a 210 mile range.

As for people who "had 280 charging to this full and now it's only 279" that's because the little slider is not precise. You're not at 90%. You're at 89.78% for example. Or like my "It's set to 90% and it used to say 280 at 90% but now it's only 279!"... It changes in 1% only, and 90% of 310 is actually exactly 279. The original default to give 280 exactly in range was 90.32%

Easiest Solution:
Set your power display to percent and use the energy graph to estimate your remaining distance.

Honestly, I'd love to see more than a 30-mile average calculation. >.<

• Informative
Reactions: 0ptions
My LR with 35k miles got the 325 mile upgrade and still has it. My daily 90% charge is 292 miles. That works out to 324 at 100%. The few times I have 100% charged I did get 324 miles.

I charge to 90% every day and have a 80 mile round trip commute for whatever that is worth. Rarely 100% charge, just don't road trip much.

Well, Tesla giveth and then they taketh away. My 90% is now 282, so I am back down to 310 miles at 100%. This appeared to have happened in one of the V10 dot releases, but I don’t know which one since I don’t use TeslaFi.

My estimated 100% is bouncing around quite a bit these days. I recently swapped wheels and made that change in the car's UI, and my next charge got my estimated range boosted to 315. After a few charges, I got as high as estimated 317. Now my car is back to 314. I've tried draining the battery to under 20% a few times, charging to 90% a few times, even to 100% once. There's no rhyme nor reason to the charging and where my estimated 100% range ends up. So I've just gone back to setting my limit to 80% and leaving the car on the charger all the time. I also display the percentage rather than miles in the car, so I don't think about it nearly as much

I know you all are talking about RWDs but similar issues on the AWD side. My 90% is around 264-265, 100% would settle around 290.
With that said in reality I think it’s close to 310. I recently went on a trip that was about 270 miles round trip with a few mountain passes. Seemed like I wouldn’t make it but made it back saying I had 10% or 30 miles left. It was nerve racking though.

RWD LR Model 3 owner.
My full charge is 324-325. To be clear and help fellow owners. RWD really did have a software update to 325.
That's a pic of the last time I fully charged, going on 2 years.

Attachments

• 20190421_173548.jpg
    20190421_173548.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 71
My LR 3 was at ~324 after the initial update that "changed the range" to 325 miles. A few updates later, it gradually dropped down to about 313, where it's been for several months. I've heard similar reports from several other owners. I have no idea whether my battery has negligible degradation after 20k miles (unlikely), 3.7% (more likely), or a glitch on the BMS that Tesla doesn't seem to care to fix. While I'd like to know which is correct out of curiosity, there are more important things in life to worry about. ;)

How did you find out that "most" RWD cars aren't 325?

Ok fine don't know if most, but definitely there is a wide spread of confusion because of this and for people who care about it since they are curious/vocal on it. Tons of posts on FB forums and here asking why they are not getting anywhere close to 325 range. This has been a topic for months because Tesla either has better things to do or given up on fixing the range display all RWD owners. So back to my point to just reduce it to 310 so no more questions regarding it :)