Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD 18" OEM Tire Performance to Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
16k miles, 5mm tread remaining all the way around (impressive/surprising), so 50% of original useful life has been put onto the asphalt so far. I run them at 44psi in summer, 47psi lately after SC cranked them higher I guess in prep for 'winter' temps in Atlanta.
Implies a ~32k life for these tires (45k Michelin treadwear warranty for the after-market version of this same tire).
Not bad, not great.

I've read plenty of posts from folks getting worse wear than I am. Anyone getting better wear than I am from the OEM 18s?

I’ll say this , I don’t n know why I wasted time fretting over the 19 or 18” debate.

I have the 18”s , Aeros on and have not thought twice about the look. The $50 cap pack sits sealed.... folks should stick to 18 and call it a day.
The Aeros have grown on my, and I'm not the only one okay with them. However I still pop them off occasionally though because the rims underneath look pretty darn good. I'm a bit paranoid about popping an Aero in standing water, but that's not really lead me to take them off on a given time.I do leave the caps on the lugs all the time other there, BTW.

As for size it never was really a question. I like me some big, fat rubber. Also the looks of the 19" rims never did much for me.

OP:

I'm only at 7,000 miles, AWD. I haven't measured the wear yet but I'm confident I'll have taken a bit more out of these tires by 16K in a few months. :( However very understandable outcome because I've been a bit abusive of them lately, aiming to cut back on that a bit. :oops:

I'm impressed. I have early build. Have 25k, and am 3rd set of tires. 12k on each set so far. Not aggressive driving - so quite disappointed
Damn. What PSI do you run typically?
Driving style: I gun it off the line when I'm first at a stoplight and am solo in my car, just because acceleration is fun to me.
Otherwise I am not a spirited driver. But 3x the life you're seeing? Sheesh...PSI is all I can think that'd do that??

I'm impressed. I have early build. Have 25k, and am 3rd set of tires. 12k on each set so far. Not aggressive driving - so quite disappointed

What is your lifetime Wh/mi? And as Knightshade asks...the wear was uniform? I assume you replaced them AFTER you got to the wear bars.

We should start gathering data for some plots of efficiency vs tire life! Might be tough to tease out the effects of winter, but maybe we could get an idea... For people who are getting less than ~220Wh/mi lifetime in RWD though, I would expect low tire wear!

It’s just so easy to rely on regen in the car, it is easy to do too much...

I currently have 18k miles after one year, driving on 19" Pirelli P Zero Neros on 19" T-Sport TST turbine wheels. I've rotated them religiously and have 5-7/32 tread left.

Just purchased some Michelin Primacy MXM4's since they were on a smoking-deal sale, but asked them to hold off on installation for 30 days to maximize wear on the Pirelli's. By then I should have about 20k miles on the original tires, which is I think is fairly good performance for one year of conservative summer driving.

I had a slow leak almost from day one, but the tires are doing great wear wise. I was really surprised about how knowledgeable the guys at my usual tire shop were about the Model 3 and MXM4's. They knew all about the jack points, the rubber lifting pad, and the foam inside the tires. The experienced guy taught was teaching a newbie about the Model 3 and he explained everything and kept a watchful eye on his work. He told me they worked on Teslas all the time. That was reassuring. I will go back there when it's time for a new set.