Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD Makes High Pitched Whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3LR RWD makes a high pitched motor whine that directly correlates to speed. I'm curious if this is a result of the enhanced inverter firmware that allows for 325 miles of range. Supposedly they found efficiencies in inverter to make it consume less energy. I believe the whine started on 2019.5.15 which was the 325 mile boost for me.

If this is the case, the car really needs a "range mode" toggle to switch it back to the old inverter firmware that didn't make the noise.

Anybody else?

My tesla has always made that noise, its just more pronounced under heavier acceleration. I asked the service center, and they said "its normal" and in fact I have heard it in the 3 different model S loaners I had while my service center was checking my Model 3 for a few things.

If you didnt hear this before, its possible you just wernt sensitive to the frequency its generated at. Said another way, I think I am just more sensitive to the audio pitch it makes than some others... but it makes the noise on every tesla I have driven, which is 6-7 now.

Reactions: outdoors
I definitely heard it. It almost feels like a high pitch fan that's cooling the battery after it's been driving for a while. I first thought it was road noise but it wouldn't go away even after I decelerated. It freaked me out at first (it was my first 50+ mile drive with the new car) but the car continued to run normally.

Remove the rear seat. Quite easy. Makes the sound pretty intense.
20180728_184050.jpg
Maybe that could help you isolate the pitch of the sound. I have found that as the temperature has increased so has the sound. I find it very minor in with seat in of course. It is a unique sound, but I think the absence of other sounds presents new sounds to our ears. Hasn't been a bother over the last 30k+.

I remove the back bottom seat for a flatter fold down for a bed.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Remove the rear seat. Quite easy. Makes the sound pretty intense.View attachment 395938 Maybe that could help you isolate the pitch of the sound. I have found that as the temperature has increased so has the sound. I find it very minor in with seat in of course. It is a unique sound, but I think the absence of other sounds presents new sounds to our ears. Hasn't been a bother over the last 30k+.

I think this everytime I read a post about wind noise. I figure its just something that is there on most vehicles but now driving a EV makes it more pronounced with the lack of engine noise.

Hmm, I just seems more pronounced than it used to be, especially around 30mph. It sounds "normal", just excessive.
Completely agree. I definitely hear it more since the latest updates! It’s the loudest between 30-45mph when I take my foot off the accelerator(regent kicks in). It’s drving me nuts. I hope a future update can minimize this sound!

Remove the rear seat. Quite easy. Makes the sound pretty intense.View attachment 395938 Maybe that could help you isolate the pitch of the sound. I have found that as the temperature has increased so has the sound. I find it very minor in with seat in of course. It is a unique sound, but I think the absence of other sounds presents new sounds to our ears. Hasn't been a bother over the last 30k+.

Even folding down the back seat backs will give a lot more of the motor whine in the cabin, as the trunk bottom is very thin and the seat backs are integral to sound insulation.

Completely agree. I definitely hear it more since the latest updates! It’s the loudest between 30-45mph when I take my foot off the accelerator(regent kicks in). It’s drving me nuts. I hope a future update can minimize this sound!
I agree. It is more pronounced than it used to be, i.e. from last Nov. when new until now. Used to go away above 20 mph. Now it keeps going until 35, or when road noise/wind covers it up.
Is it the warmer temps? Sofware upgrade? Annoying if not a hardware problem..

My 3LR RWD makes a high pitched motor whine that directly correlates to speed. I'm curious if this is a result of the enhanced inverter firmware that allows for 325 miles of range. Supposedly they found efficiencies in inverter to make it consume less energy. I believe the whine started on 2019.5.15 which was the 325 mile boost for me.

If this is the case, the car really needs a "range mode" toggle to switch it back to the old inverter firmware that didn't make the noise.

Anybody else?
Have 2018 LR RWD M3 . 8 mos ago started high pitch whine at 41 mph and would disappear at higher speeds .just took in to service center and said they here it but normal. Now whine is occurring also at higher speeds. Have a feeling Tesla knows cause but don’t want to spend the$ to fix it. What happens when I go to sell my car and no one wants it with that whine and why should they.