Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ludicrous 2.0 seconds flat?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now we all know 0-60 times really don't make a difference for real world driving but yet, the auto industry has an obsession with it. I must admit I always look at the times as well. And after test driving a 90D Ludicrous in 2016 i'm obsessed as well. Ended up with the 60D and love it. "Only" a 5.0 second 0-60 time :(
I bring this up because Trevor of Model 3 Owners Club in his Youtube broadcast mentioned a rumor from Tesla that a Model 3 Ludicrous did the 0-60 in 2 seconds flat. Holy missiles Batman!
Are we nearing a 0-60 time in under 2 seconds? Rewind the tape Robin, did he just say 2 seconds? I did not see anything mentioned about this on TMC, which may make the rumor just that, a rumor. Anyone else hear about this?

• Disagree
Reactions: contactace
I bring this up because Trevor of Model 3 Owners Club in his Youtube broadcast mentioned a rumor from Tesla that a Model 3 Ludicrous did the 0-60 in 2 seconds flat. Holy missiles Batman!
Are we nearing a 0-60 time in under 2 seconds? Rewind the tape Robin, did he just say 2 seconds? I did not see anything mentioned about this on TMC, which may make the rumor just that, a rumor. Anyone else hear about this?

This seems incredibly suspect to me.

The Model 3 is going to be somewhat lighter than a Model S, but not all that much lighter. And Elon Musk already stated that the wheel base could not support a 100 kWh battery.

I think someone is pulling our legs.

Everyone says that the weight of the model s is what allows it to keep enough traction to accelerate that fast. So if you trade aluminum for steel in the Model 3, yet shrink the size of the car, weight shouldn't drop too much. The air resistance will be lower - which matters for efficiency, but not that much going 30mph. Put 80-90kWh of battery in the same thing and you won't be doing too badly. I can see it beating the S if they build a performance L model optimized for speed.

Now we all know 0-60 times really don't make a difference for real world driving but yet, the auto industry has an obsession with it. I must admit I always look at the times as well. And after test driving a 90D Ludicrous in 2016 i'm obsessed as well. Ended up with the 60D and love it. "Only" a 5.0 second 0-60 time :(

The best documented time is 2.28 ... :cool:
Tesla Model S P100D Ludicrous+ achieves record 2.28-second 0-60 mph and 10.5-sec 1/4 mile in new Motor Trend tests

With the introduction of the P100D with Ludicrous mode, Tesla’s Model S officially became a ’10-second-car’ with a 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 2.5 seconds. But the company kept improving on the software and was able to shave just over a tenth of a second with a software upgrade that has been referred to as ‘Ludicrous+’ mode.

Now Motor Trend tested the latest version of the Tesla Model S P100D with the ‘Ludicrous+’ mode and claims two new records: 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds and quarter-mile in 10.5 seconds. We are talking about a stock vehicle here. There’s been talk about a stripped-down Model S P100D accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 2.0 or 2.1 seconds, but the vehicle tested by Motor Trend wasn’t modified.

Last edited:
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I'd be surprised if they allowed the 3 to out-accelerate the top level S, and also surprised if the ~75-80 kWh pack we've been guessing is the largest option on the 3 can deliver enough power to hold the car against the friction limit for the whole run.

The 3 isn't likely to be enough lighter than the S to have significantly more relative grip - and the evidence suggests that Tesla has pretty much hit the maximum possible for the tires they have on the car - you may need racing slicks and a prepared surface to get much past where the P100D is now (or at least a third motor.)

You never know until the car is released, but I'm highly doubtful of this one on both technical and business grounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: deonb and Andyw2100
From the comments above it's obvious you guys are not taking into consideration that the model 3 does not use the same motors and hardware as the model S. Totally different drivetrains and batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is getting better results out of the M3. Specially with all the experience they have under their belt now.

From the comments above it's obvious you guys are not taking into consideration that the model 3 does not use the same motors and hardware as the model S. Totally different drivetrains and batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is getting better results out of the M3. Specially with all the experience they have under their belt now.
Where is everyone getting all of the info about the M3 from?

New drivetrain? Is it better or worse?

Reactions: S'toon
"If you don't hear a rumour by 10:00, make up one."
-Canadian army saying

Yeah I saw Trevor's video. He makes it pretty darn clearly that the information is not from a confirmable source.

While I believe Tesla is not above having the 3 approach S speeds, a 2-flat 0-60 is pretty hard to achieve without dedicating a lot of engineering resources to, and at this point in the game I don't see them doing that. They just want to get this thing out and have it appeal to the largest market possible.

Reactions: arnis
Where is everyone getting all of the info about the M3 from?
JB Straubel back in 2015:

“We’re inventing a whole new platform: it’s a new battery architecture, it’s a new motor technology — brand new vehicle structure…so it’s a lot of work. This is something we started on even a few years ago. But it is a brand new vehicle — and it has to be.”

JB Straubel back in 2015:

“We’re inventing a whole new platform: it’s a new battery architecture, it’s a new motor technology — brand new vehicle structure…so it’s a lot of work. This is something we started on even a few years ago. But it is a brand new vehicle — and it has to be.”
I see, however without details its kinda useless to speculate whether the new motor or battery is "better or worse" or even just the same - than what already exists on the MS.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
In all likelyhood, the Ludicrous M3 will accelerate slower than a MS/MX. You want top performance, you gotta pay for it.
Want 2 seconds flat Tesla 0-60 you'll likely have to get the new roadster for nearly US$ 200k each.
Anything else is an exercise in self delusion.
Realize that the bottleneck right now isn't HP/torque, its traction.
I'm far more interested in 0-80mph speeds and 1/4 mile times. Where you mix traction bottlenecks with raw HP/torque muscle in the end.
Tesla probably could get better MS/MX acceleration by using wider tires. But that would hurt mpge numbers and max range. Its all give and take.