Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Manual: Disconnecting 12V and High Voltage Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will see what I come up with, and I will make a youtube video when I have the badges on my 3.

Why not 3d printing? It's easy to make any shape with 3d printing (although metal printing can be a bit expensive, depending on size and what metal you choose; if you're on a budget, there's also metal-coated plastic, metallic paints, and plastic with aluminum dust in it). I love 3d printing services, you can make whatever you want. My only question is, how do you attach it in a durable manner? Epoxy? If you do, you better plan on never taking it off and hope you do it right! ;)

Tesla font is here:

Tesla Font | dafont.com

Any decent 3d design program can turn text into a 3d object :) Then take your model and upload it to a 3d printing service, like imaterialise:

3D Printing Materials | High Quality Materials | i.materialise

Pick your materials, pick your finish, scale the size, and when you're happy with all your parameters, send it off to printing. :) I've worked with them before and they did a great job. Printing + shipping takes a few weeks, though.

Protip: you can often save money (and weight) by going with hollow models. But you need to make sure that there are holes for the powder to be drained through. Or you could just print solid! :)

Reactions: JeffK
Interesting. But where is the DC-DC converter?

It is in the "penthouse" of the battery beneath the rear seat. See here:
tesla-model-3-battery-pack-3.jpg

number 4 is labeled "Power Conversion System" from this article.

• Informative
Reactions: lymex2018

Anyone see this line on the last page of that document and can explain what exactly it means:

"CAUTION: Make sure to reconnect the high voltage controller harness connector before reconnecting 12V power. Reconnecting 12V power before reconnecting the high voltage controller harness connector might result in the high voltage battery becoming over discharged."

The "high voltage controller harness connector" is the gray connector and it cuts off 12v power from the HV battery and so also isolates the HV battery. Correct?

So what they are saying is that you should have 12v battery power connected before connecting the "high voltage controller harness connector"?

Anyone see this line on the last page of that document and can explain what exactly it means:

"CAUTION: Make sure to reconnect the high voltage controller harness connector before reconnecting 12V power. Reconnecting 12V power before reconnecting the high voltage controller harness connector might result in the high voltage battery becoming over discharged."

The "high voltage controller harness connector" is the gray connector and it cuts off 12v power from the HV battery and so also isolates the HV battery. Correct?

So what they are saying is that you should have 12v battery power connected before connecting the "high voltage controller harness connector"?
No make sure the HV is connected before the LV, this is the way the mobile tech did mine