Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never figured out when @MrHopsing actually purchased his vehicle, and what the build date (B-pillar) is. I thought it was closer to June, but that was only based on his join date.

Ah, mistake on my part. I have it all in a spreadsheet on my computer and didn't have a date on his post but was copy pasting the dates to put links haha.

I use to check VIN numbers for fun....but now you are going to get me trouble because I might start checking random model 3 motor plates in the street....

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Haha, sorry about that. I don't seem to have mfg date on my door or am I blind? Is this on US cars only?

But my guesstimate is January/February, since my delivery was end of March.

Attachments

• 20190725_124746.jpg
    20190725_124746.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 180
Haha, sorry about that. I don't seem to have mfg date on my door or am I blind? Is this on US cars only?

But my guesstimate is January/February, since my delivery was end of March.

Interesting. Totally different than US labels, not too surprising I guess.

Jan/Feb is a good enough guess for our purposes here. Thanks for clarifying. @Jedi2155 had the right date for your car in his table above, after all.

I'm not sure if the VIN is really of much use or not since they jump around so much. Mine is down around 194XXX, but I've heard of other May 2019 cars having VIN's more than twice as high as mine.

Yeah they tend not to be in sequence. It’s just a piece of info to ask for as long as we are getting the data. The actual build date definitely is what correlates with changes, as one would expect.

Here’s my 5/19 build US AWD. 990 motor.

Thanks, as mentioned elsewhere, this is the second US instance of a 990 motor. So far they have only been found on AWD (non-P) vehicles.

Would be good to get more pictures from new SR+/LR RWD/AWD/Performance owners to confirm whatever trend there may (or may not) be. A few possibilities (starting from around May 2019):

1) 990 motors are gradually being phased into all new Model 3s
2) 990 motors are being used in lower rear motor power output applications, like the AWD
3) ? Really, anything is possible. Just have to see what people have.

Bumping this thread hoping West Coast new owners might want to look up under the underskirt of their new cars to see what makes them tick and take inappropriate pictures. :oops:

Glad you’re loving the car! Would you snap a pic of your rear motor?

@Rexarm

Yes, if you can, post your picture here and/or in the thread I reference above!

Reach in front of, then around, above and behind left rear wheel/axle, above the skirt, use flash with phone camera. See above.

Interesting. Totally different than US labels, not too surprising I guess.

Jan/Feb is a good enough guess for our purposes here. Thanks for clarifying. @Jedi2155 had the right date for your car in his table above, after all.

I figured since all the Euro model 3's are built in batches and shipped in a single batch of boats. Makes sense that any sold for a particular country would likely be in the same manufacturing date for months at a time.

@AlanSubie4Life

For your data, the AWD and P- from 2018 share the same motor, the 980.

It’s looking like the AWD from 2019 are using a 990, and the P- from 2019 is using a 980? Is that correct?

It’s possible that some time recently - maybe May? - it changed to a 990 for the AWD. We don’t know because we don’t have enough pictures from new owners yet.

Gotcha. Do we have any pictures of the motor for the new P-?

No.

Just one recent LR RWD IIRC (6/19). It was a 980. Detailed somewhere above. That would be potentially required to be a higher current motor (one of the theories) since the LR RWD has just the one motor but still has quite a lot of power.

Would be great to have more pictures but people are busy. Maybe over the weekend?

LR AWD build date 005/19
View attachment 434515

Thanks! Definitely seems to be confirming the 5/19 switchover at least in North America. Could have been earlier I guess but we don't have data on that.

Now we just need some new (I guess that would mean May, June, July) P3D owners to contribute...sigh...SR+ & LR RWD would be interesting as well...

Another P3D Stealth Motor Picture

Thanks @Rexarm

July delivery P3D Stealth. It started as an AWD and was flashed to P3D Stealth after delivery.

1120980-00-F (probably an F - the 980 is for sure).

Confirmed as July 2019 build date.

Anyway, the pattern holds, so far. No examples yet of P3D of any form with 1120990. No recent examples (after 5/19 sometime) of AWD with 1120980 (other than the ones being delivered initially as AWD but getting changed to P3D-).

Presumably there are some recent build AWDs (non-P) out with 1120980, since that seems to be the default state before being sold as a P3D Stealth. (And they were apparently all built that way in the US before 5/19 - though I guess we don't have any samples for the first 4 months of 2019, so who knows what was happening then. I would guess maybe the US market also got AWD 1120990s, since Europe AWDs were getting that motor in early 2019...guess I need to poke around in this thread, but I don't see any 1/19-4/29 US AWD reports in @Jedi2155's table.)

Last edited: