Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mud Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like he had to drill in to the wheel well plastic liner. Taptes claims no drilling required so if this is how the Taptes works, I'm not going to be too happy about that bit of false advertising. Yeah, I get it that it's only through plastic and not through sheet metal that can rust, but drilling is drilling. I'm hoping it's not required.

There's another thread featuring these molded flaps as well; for those interested.

Molded mud flaps arrived

I would say these molded, wrap-around, and "cupped" designed flaps would have a range hit. Certain flat designed flap manufacturers claim no range hit on those. YMMV.

Honestly I would expect anything sticking on our cars would have a potential range hit, but the area behind the wheels are probably not going to affect range in a tangible way to make people want to think twice about it. Losing a few inches around the belly would probably have more effect :D

Going to give these a try when I get them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V9TR8PX/

Interesting, but (from the pictures) it does seem like drilling and screwing is required to secure the upper part of the flaps. Please post a review 9w/pictures) and facts on this, after you install them.

Edit: These, like other 3rd party distributors, seem to be all sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer, given lead times out to September 10th (from Amazon site).

Interesting, but (from the pictures) it does seem like drilling and screwing is required to secure the upper part of the flaps. Please post a review 9w/pictures) and facts on this, after you install them.

Edit: These, like other 3rd party distributors, seem to be all sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer, given lead times out to September 10th (from Amazon site).
Yeah, it's very likely all of the ones on Amazon comes from the same Chinese manufacturer. I could buy one that would get delivered tomorrow, but I didn't want to pay the higher prices. My car is over a year old so I can wait.

Theses are the eBay ones.

I only had to drill a small hole in the plastic. No metal drilling whatsoever.

Install was easy except for the push taps which go in the holes since it's a bit thicker than before. I could not get the ones on the rear to fully lock but they seemed secure enough. I might try with a hammer when I put the winter wheels on.

Happy with the look, it looks stock.

• Informative
Reactions: Darwood77

Install was easy except for the push taps which go in the holes since it's a bit thicker than before. I could not get the ones on the rear to fully lock but they seemed secure enough. I might try with a hammer when I put the winter wheels on.

Good deal! Thanks for the report!

I have the TapTes coming in on Thursday according to the FedEx notification I just received. I'll report back as soon as I receive them, but based on the theory that these are all coming from the same factory in China, I suspect it will also need that drill through the plastic, despite TapTes' claims of no drilling required.

You need something to lever the pins back in, due to the thickness. I used the head of a mallet, not to hit, but to apply leverage.

Reactions: x-cimo
I'm getting these installed on Wednesday and can share pictures after. They used to be sold as Antirouille Bolduc.

All, I'm disappointed to write that the front flaps of the North versions of the EV mud flaps made and sold out of Quebec (EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc) are designed too big. I wrote them indicating that I've bottomed-out on speed bumps several times and the response was, to quote:

"Yes, indeed, the North Edition touch the speed bumps. Usually the customers who make us the remark are rather happy that the speed bump hits the mudflaps and not the car !! You can cut the front mudguards with a sheet metal chisel or purchase the MidWest."

and then when I indicated in a second email that this is a ridiculous statement as all mud flaps will hit a speed bump before the car, that the company should be indicating to potential customers that owners with the North edition regularly hit speed bumps, and that I'd like them to send me some Midwest front flaps that aren't so long I was told, to quote:

"I mean you are not the first customer to remark that the mudflaps hits the speed bumps, but you are the first to request another kit no charge."

Needless to say, they did not offer to send me replacement front flaps.
This is really disappointing to me: clearly the company is aware of a problem but not telling customers this, and they are not willing to rectify the problem. This is even more disappointing given the number of people that have said that 'Eric takes care of them'. The cost of a set of front flaps must be tiny - they are cut from a flat piece of plastic.

Anyway, caution in purchasing from this company.

All, I'm disappointed to write that the front flaps of the North versions of the EV mud flaps made and sold out of Quebec (EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc) are designed too big. I wrote them indicating that I've bottomed-out on speed bumps several times and the response was, to quote:

"Yes, indeed, the North Edition touch the speed bumps. Usually the customers who make us the remark are rather happy that the speed bump hits the mudflaps and not the car !! You can cut the front mudguards with a sheet metal chisel or purchase the MidWest."

and then when I indicated in a second email that this is a ridiculous statement as all mud flaps will hit a speed bump before the car, that the company should be indicating to potential customers that owners with the North edition regularly hit speed bumps, and that I'd like them to send me some Midwest front flaps that aren't so long I was told, to quote:

"I mean you are not the first customer to remark that the mudflaps hits the speed bumps, but you are the first to request another kit no charge."

Needless to say, they did not offer to send me replacement front flaps.
This is really disappointing to me: clearly the company is aware of a problem but not telling customers this, and they are not willing to rectify the problem. This is even more disappointing given the number of people that have said that 'Eric takes care of them'. The cost of a set of front flaps must be tiny - they are cut from a flat piece of plastic.

Anyway, caution in purchasing from this company.

Sorry to hear of this, but not totally a surprise as this guy gouges people $150 for flat plastic flaps that others sell for $30? And, those selling the fairly priced alternatives (e.g., tsolutions), will send you shorter front flaps for free should you have a speed bump issue. Buyer beware.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Hey guys, just ordered my Model 3 and am super excited to get it and protect it first thing! I really like the looks of the carbon fiber flaps that @futbolista posted. Has anyone purchased those and have pictures? The pictures on their website aren't super great since they're so close up its hard to get a sense of how they look at a distance.

Hey guys, just ordered my Model 3 and am super excited to get it and protect it first thing! I really like the looks of the carbon fiber flaps that @futbolista posted. Has anyone purchased those and have pictures? The pictures on their website aren't super great since they're so close up its hard to get a sense of how they look at a distance.
I'd save my $ and get full coverage flaps that won't break the first time you rub a speed bump. Jebinc has a nice group buy flaps and I installed Rally Armour flaps. Jebinc flaps are pre-drilled and easy to install. My R A flaps I drilled holes for myself and set it up the way I like. 2 1/2" from level ground in front. I have rubbed a few speed bumps and had no visible issues at all. IMHO, save the $150 and get full coverage flaps that are intended to be beat up and splattered on. I didn't expect to get them until I read about the door bottoms and rocker panel damage. Here's a few pics of mine and jebinc's looks nearly identical. Good luck with your 3! :cool: IMG_20190712_121536812.jpg IMG_20190710_103224245_HDR.jpg IMG_20190710_103054158_HDR.jpg IMG_20190710_103043899.jpg IMG_20190712_121536812.jpg IMG_20190710_103224245_HDR.jpg IMG_20190710_103054158_HDR.jpg IMG_20190710_103043899.jpg IMG_20190712_121536812.jpg IMG_20190710_103224245_HDR.jpg IMG_20190710_103054158_HDR.jpg IMG_20190710_103043899.jpg

Reactions: jebinc
I'd save my $ and get full coverage flaps that won't break the first time you rub a speed bump. Jebinc has a nice group buy flaps and I installed Rally Armour flaps. Jebinc flaps are pre-drilled and easy to install. My R A flaps I drilled holes for myself and set it up the way I like. 2 1/2" from level ground in front. I have rubbed a few speed bumps and had no visible issues at all. IMHO, save the $150 and get full coverage flaps that are intended to be beat up and splattered on. I didn't expect to get them until I read about the door bottoms and rocker panel damage. Here's a few pics of mine and jebinc's looks nearly identical. Good luck with your 3! :cool:View attachment 471784 View attachment 471785 View attachment 471786 View attachment 471787 View attachment 471784 View attachment 471785 View attachment 471786 View attachment 471787 View attachment 471784 View attachment 471785 View attachment 471786 View attachment 471787

Hear, hear! ;)

I bought and installed these:

Tesla Parts and Accessories - Products

On our car:
View attachment 471798 View attachment 471799
As you see, they’re a simple, flat design. No drilling. I suppose they’re less fitted-looking than some of the molded flaps, but most of those overlap painted surfaces, and so I worry about them wearing the paint over time. Happy so far!
Very nice. Looks like you have yours set up similar to mine. Down low in front for max protection and out only far enough to cover the tread when pointed straight. Simple and clean looking. Sweet. :)

I bought and installed these:

Tesla Parts and Accessories - Products

On our car:
View attachment 471798 View attachment 471799
As you see, they’re a simple, flat design. No drilling. I suppose they’re less fitted-looking than some of the molded flaps, but most of those overlap painted surfaces, and so I worry about them wearing the paint over time. Happy so far!

Yep, those are the Tsolutions flaps that we had earlier as a group by. The vendor, Mike, will stand by his product nd work with you should any problems crop up, I found.

Very nice. Looks like you have yours set up similar to mine. Down low in front for max protection and out only far enough to cover the tread when pointed straight. Simple and clean looking. Sweet. :)
I get very little of the credit for how they’re set up. They install using existing attachments in the wheel wells, so it’s how they were designed.

• Informative