Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 mud guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, like your rockers and doors won’t see any abrasion effects in the spring, summer and fall....
Not sure what your deal is, but not everyone lives in Seattle. I'm thrilled you did the group buy thing for a great price, but do you have to spam every mudflap thread and challenge everyone who doesn't agree with your choice? No, not everyone is going to see any abrasion effects in Spring, Summer or Fall, if there's not a lot of road surface debris on their roads. I can't speak for the Pac NW, but here in New England, where we get alot of sand and salt in Winter, most everything washes off after a few rains in Spring, so no, there's no need for mudflaps 3 seasons of the year.

A few weeks back when you were running your group buy, I contacted my physician, who has a black Model 3, to let him know, and he replied that his rockers were fine. I know he washes his car all the time, so no, not everyone needs mudflaps, even in an area where sand and salt are a menace.

Not sure what your deal is, but not everyone lives in Seattle. I'm thrilled you did the group buy thing for a great price, but do you have to spam every mudflap thread and challenge everyone who doesn't agree with your choice? No, not everyone is going to see any abrasion effects in Spring, Summer or Fall, if there's not a lot of road surface debris on their roads. I can't speak for the Pac NW, but here in New England, where we get alot of sand and salt in Winter, most everything washes off after a few rains in Spring, so no, there's no need for mudflaps 3 seasons of the year.

A few weeks back when you were running your group buy, I contacted my physician, who has a black Model 3, to let him know, and he replied that his rockers were fine. I know he washes his car all the time, so no, not everyone needs mudflaps, even in an area where sand and salt are a menace.
I could never put ugly mud flaps on my car. Maybe on tesla truck. Some PPF will do just fine.

@KenC - I can see where my post could come off as flippant, and I should have added more content to that post. :oops: First, I liked those superbly priced Chinese flaps and was going to order them myself - that was until the delivery estimate provided was about 4-6 weeks out. That won't work for me (or many others) as we have here in Seattle (and also had in the 26 years I lived in NJ) all kinds of road repairs that occur in the "spring, summer and fall;" such as, "Chip-Sealing", repaving and other construction going on that leave tons of small rocks/aggregate/gravel/sand/dirt on the roadways. Here in Seattle, winter replaces that fun with sand/salting/deicing fluid, etc. So, at least here in Seattle (and also NJ), the flaps provide protection all four seasons, not just winter. Not sure what it's like in Maine, as I've only ever driving through. I really needed my flaps right away as the main road leading into our development was in a multi-week "Chip-Sealing" process, when I took delivery of My M3, and I wasn't about to pay $150-$180 for those other flaps, or wait six weeks for the Chinese ones to arrive.

Chipseal - Wikipedia

I also read a lot on this forum that the Tesla paint is soft and damages easily (water based, due to CA regs and laws). I've seen many pictures of sandblasted M3 rocker panels on this forum, and many of those owners were based in warm climates, like SoCal, Arizona, etc. (non winter climate).

I started the group buy because others might need/want a cost-effective solution now, rather than waiting 4-6 weeks for the Chinese ones to arrive; or being gouged by those "early to market" flap providers, who are charging $150 - $180 for flat flaps! :eek:

I hope this long reply helps you understand my passion for not seeing folks have their M3 paint damaged before they can get flaps or PPF installed.

Hope you have a great summer in Maine! :)

Reactions: KenC
$120 for DIY rockers with 3M Scotchgard Pro at invisiblemask.com. $200, if you want to add the lower door pieces at carprotectionpros.com, and they also have Xpel for more money. I did the $120 rockers because I wanted to also do full door protection, not just the lower parts. Rockers are fairly easy, but the location, low to the ground makes it a bit difficult. I lifted one side of my car up on Rhino ramps. Also, the pieces are quite long, so a 3rd hand would help as you put the pieces on. And, the rockers are a bit bumpier, probably due to the undercoating, so just a little more effort to get it all to stick nicely.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
20190723_201416.jpg
20190723_201420.jpg
20190723_201429.jpg

I have mud flaps and a piece of PPF behind the flap so it doesn't rub on the paint. But mine are a little bit too big, so sometimes I can here the flaps hit the road.

I noticed TapTES had the same MudFlaps as the ones seen on Ebay for like $10 more ($36 shipped), but I could get them from TapTES in a week and return them if I didn't like them.

Mud Flaps for Tesla Model 3

They look great, I hope to install them tonight.

When I went to go look for the link above, I noticed TapTES DOUBLE the price !! I guess they realized these are gonna be hot
upload_2019-7-31_11-52-42.gif

They are NOT rubbery. But can twist them like the EBay photos.

P.S. I have no PPF on the car, 8K miles, New England winter and I don't see any damage (yet). But it does drive me crazy how quickly the whole side of the side of the car gets (any time of year, if the ground is wet).

48423447517_c7adc30e64_h_d.jpg

48423303036_d0cf7ffb67_h_d.jpg

48423302986_a780f7dccd_h_d.jpg

48423302956_157925495d_h_d.jpg

@jebinc

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get a few patches of PPF for my mud flaps promptly? Like via Amazon Next day.

Thanks.

I was thinking of putting the 3M double sided tape along the edge where it "cups" against the body. That would seal it off from sand and provide a good amount of hold. I'm going to try and avoid any hole drilling. Removing 3M double sided tape is a pain, but doable.

It looks like the one plastic rivet in the body does line up, for front. Have not checked rears yet.

View attachment 433244 View attachment 433245 View attachment 433246

I have mud flaps and a piece of PPF behind the flap so it doesn't rub on the paint. But mine are a little bit too big, so sometimes I can here the flaps hit the road.

Thanks for posting. I think those are the same flaps I just got in. Nice install job. I have the same wheels too.

Any comments on the impact to efficiency?

It's pretty common for this style mud flap to hit. Especially on speed bumps.
My VW CC and even my Jeep hit. But I have never damaged them. It sounds 10x worse than it is when they hit something.

The material has just enough flex to bend and spring back. Assuming they are installed firmly ;)

Did you drill holes? Looks like you did. What did you use?

I noticed TapTES DOUBLE the price !! I guess they realized these are gonna be hot View attachment 436109

I noticed TapTES had the same MudFlaps as the ones seen on Ebay for like $10 more ($36 shipped), but I could get them from TapTES in a week and return them if I didn't like them.

Mud Flaps for Tesla Model 3

They look great, I hope to install them tonight.

When I went to go look for the link above, I noticed TapTES DOUBLE the price !! I guess they realized these are gonna be hot View attachment 436109

@jebinc

"TapTES doubled the price..." - Yeah, I saw that and did this ..|.. to that! Got mine from Amazon. You can get thin PPF and/or 3M tape there as well - depending on how you plan to install. I will apply PPF tape to the wrap around areas and use the 3M tape on the upper fronts, instead of the "drill and fill" approach. YMMV. :)

"TapTES doubled the price..." - Yeah, I saw that and did this ..|.. to that! Got mine from Amazon. You can get thin PPF and/or 3M tape there as well - depending on how you plan to install. I will apply PPF tape to the wrap around areas and use the 3M tape on the upper fronts, instead of the "drill and fill" approach. YMMV. :)

Cool, I swear I looked on July 22 on Amazon and nothing. Those look like the same ones. I'm sure they are all made by the same Chinese company. They are popping up all over now.

Amazon Prime link.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y

Did you install yours yet?

If I put 3M tape between the "cup" that contacts the body, I'm not sure if I need the PPF. I'll order some any way to keep my options open.

I noticed in one of my photo's I posted that there is a little pocket near the top that could trap sand. I need to think about how to address that.

You want things tight, but not so tight that trapped water doesn't drain. Or even a path for sand to come out.

I used to flush whole area with garden hose on some cars to get any trapped sand out. I've never had car rot due to mud flaps. But you do have to keep an eye on things.

Reactions: jebinc