Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes there are differences :
- the back and trunk are not the same : the rear passenger door frame doesn'T finish at the same spot
- the trunk arms are flush with the glass on the newer model whereas you have a gap between them on 2016 model
- rear lights side are not the same
- rear mirrors have not the same shape
I don't know what you are looking at, but the back and trunk are exactly the same... the rear door is exactly the same.. the trunk lines are exactly the same... rear lights look the same outside shape, maybe slightly different design, but the same as the silver/red prototypes. The side mirrors might be slightly different, but again, the matte black was one of the earliest prototypes, before they even changed the door handles. To me it looks like the same mirrors though, just angled differently. Compare it to the rear end of the silver prototype. I see nothing different.

The nose has clearly changed. Here some marked-up pics of the last few images that were posted previously. On the RC, the crease extends wider past the signal light, the top part of the nose (#1, from the edge to the hood) is wider, and the front end of the nose (#2) is not as tall. They are relatively small, but noticeable differences.

kVPCBoc.jpg

xs6WOFJ.jpg

4SZrFZs.jpg

I found this post (#1040) to be the most convincing evidence that the exterior design has been changed from the original prototype, particularly the yellow line that shows the angles hitting the lower lights differently.

I don't know what you are looking at, but the back and trunk are exactly the same... the rear door is exactly the same.. the trunk lines are exactly the same... rear lights look the same outside shape, maybe slightly different design, but the same as the silver/red prototypes. The side mirrors might be slightly different, but again, the matte black was one of the earliest prototypes, before they even changed the door handles. To me it looks like the same mirrors though, just angled differently. Compare it to the rear end of the silver prototype. I see nothing different.
I don't think that means they are prototypes, just that the design we saw at reveal one was the final design

I still think this is just a prototype

We know of two alpha prototypes, this is clearly neither of them. We know of at least one production candidate. This (black) one might be that one. There is also a blue version out there which isn't one of the alphas we know of, but might be another production candidate.

Present on the possible production candidates, but not on any alpha prototype are:
1) Cameras (at least 4, sometimes 6 are visible).
2) Different headlights.
3) Changed front end (specifically the frown line has been widened).
4) Door handles (matte black alpha only). Changing those would require an entire new door panel.
5) Rear side light (right side) has retro-reflector on PCs.
6) Fit and finish is much better on the PCs (rear glass and window trim, particularly on matte black).

Thank you kindly.

I found this post (#1040) to be the most convincing evidence that the exterior design has been changed from the original prototype, particularly the yellow line that shows the angles hitting the lower lights differently.
I wish somebody would take a good photo of the front end on one of the suspected release candidate cars. Preferably on a cloudy day to minimize reflections. I don't think that yellow line is actually on the body crease, but rather lined up with something in the reflection on the car, but the picture is not quite clear enough to be definitive. I'm sticking with my theory that the front is the same until I see a conclusive photo that says otherwise.

I really like the original nose and want it stay that way. Having that crease flow into the curve at the front of the fog light opening makes way more sense than having it flow into the middle of the fog light opening. If they wanted to widen and soften that shape on the front, wouldn't it have made more sense to reshape the fog lights to match?

I wish somebody would take a good photo of the front end on one of the suspected release candidate cars. Preferably on a cloudy day to minimize reflections. I don't think that yellow line is actually on the body crease, but rather lined up with something in the reflection on the car, but the picture is not quite clear enough to be definitive. I'm sticking with my theory that the front is the same until I see a conclusive photo that says otherwise.

I really like the original nose and want it stay that way. Having that crease flow into the curve at the front of the fog light opening makes way more sense than having it flow into the middle of the fog light opening. If they wanted to widen and soften that shape on the front, wouldn't it have made more sense to reshape the fog lights to match?

I can totally see where you're coming from, and there is the possibility that the front hasn't changed and it is more visual tricks from the reflective front. My eyes keep telling me otherwise thought. Fortunately, I like both the original prototypes and what I perceive to be the changed front on the RCs, so I'm happy either way. :)

I can totally see where you're coming from, and there is the possibility that the front hasn't changed and it is more visual tricks from the reflective front. My eyes keep telling me otherwise thought. Fortunately, I like both the original prototypes and what I perceive to be the changed front on the RCs, so I'm happy either way. :)
That's what I'm seeing... that everything about the car (minus adding AP2 cameras) inside and out is exactly the same, which makes me think that these couple cars are, in fact, not final cars. It's very likely that they just let these two alphas out in the public eye to get attention. Again, we'll see in July, but both S and X changed significantly between alpha/beta and final, and Elon said both interior and trunk changed. Both the black and blue cars we've seen don't have those changes implemented.

I can look at two shots from the same photoshoot of the silver car and they look just as different from each other as these do. Angles + reflections + camera focal lengths + distortion from cell phone pics all play tricks on the eyes.

• Helpful
Reactions: T34ME

While it's possible it hasn't changed, that doesn't seem reasonable to me. We've now seen a few pictures of RC cars, and in every single one the duck bill crease appears to end at a different place than the prototype. If it is due to reflections and the front ends are identical, why does every single picture of the prototype have the front crease appear to end in one place, and every single new picture has is appear to end in a different place. One picture sure, but it looks pretty consistent to me.

That's what I'm seeing... that everything about the car (minus adding AP2 cameras) inside and out is exactly the same, which makes me think that these couple cars are, in fact, not final cars. It's very likely that they just let these two alphas out in the public eye to get attention. Again, we'll see in July, but both S and X changed significantly between alpha/beta and final, and Elon said both interior and trunk changed. Both the black and blue cars we've seen don't have those changes implemented.

I can look at two shots from the same photoshoot of the silver car and they look just as different from each other as these do. Angles + reflections + camera focal lengths + distortion from cell phone pics all play tricks on the eyes.

They are clearly different physical cars then we've ever seen before. If the design is the same it seems much more reasonable that this is the final design than that these are old cars that have never been seen even once before, and now suddenly show up right after Elon confirmed they were building release candidate cars (but I don't believe they are the same, I think the front end design has changed).

I went back and looked at all of the newer front end photos I could find, and they actually do all seem to have the same reflection right in that area. It appears to be the reflection of the horizon line i.e. buildings or dark bushes or trees vs. the lighter sky.
This same reflection does not appear on the earlier silver car pics. Between that and the low resolution of most of the shots, I don't think you can tell that it has changed So I'm sticking with my theory that its not changed until I see a definitive picture.

On the other hand, I also think that these are what the final cars will look like. I suspect that even the alpha shape was highly optimized for low Cd and they weren't going to mess with it post reveal no matter what.

We shall see eventually.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
...both S and X changed significantly between alpha/beta and final, and Elon said both interior and trunk changed. Both the black and blue cars we've seen don't have those changes implemented.

I'm thinking that what we are now seeing is what the final production cars will look like. While the S and X may have changed from the initial reveal to the final release, did the release candidates seen just a couple of months prior to production change to any degree? I also don't think we've gotten a good enough look at the interior on the RCs to say that it hasn't changed. Yes, the steering wheel is in the same place and so is the screen. But that's about all we can say.

yes there are differences :
- the back and trunk are not the same : the rear passenger door frame doesn'T finish at the same spot
- the trunk arms are flush with the glass on the newer model whereas you have a gap between them on 2016 model
- rear lights side are not the same
- rear mirrors have not the same shape

Don't know. To me those two cars look identical, except for the colour, door handles and Tesla badge.

The front of that blue RC otoh does really look different. Slight changes but noticable nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 206er
I suspect that even the alpha shape was highly optimized for low Cd and they weren't going to mess with it post reveal no matter what.

It probably was. BUT Elon explicitly said that more aerodynamic work was still to be done. And that they hoped to reach 0.21 Cd. Tweaks of that nature are likely to be hard to detect in crappy phone pictures of moving cars.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: garsh
I actually like the rear lights without stretching onto the side to hide the charging dock! Looks cleaner... But won't happen I think, this looks like a 3D printed cover/lid of the dock before they get industrial version of the cover, which will look like stretch of the rear light...

Couldn't they just make it metal and paint colored on the left? Like a traditional gas tank cover thingy. And then don't do anything on the right. Have no special cutout or light on the right.

Idk what they'll do. But that doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.