Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 mystery clicking sound at higher speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

My P3D has developed a strangle clicking sound. It seems to happen a lot more frequently at high speeds (90mph+). It used to be less frequent but that has increased. It’ll happen at low speeds too after it’s been happening for a while at higher speeds. It sounds a lot like a mouse click and seems to be coming from under the dash area. It is irregular and does not have a tempo. No alerts go off and no functionality affected that I can tell. Will happen on straightaways but it does seem to be more easily triggered when going through irregularities on the road.

Check it out in this video and also in this audio clip:

Tesla Model 3 clicking - Clyp

Any idea what it could be?

Might be a shot in the dark, but a coworker of mine had this bolt missing, it seemed to have loosened itself and fell out, which caused the under body cover to flap near the wheel well. I could see it really getting going at 90mph, and it would probably keep hitting the support arm.

Attachments

• bolt.png
    bolt.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
hi.. I can't clearly judge from the video if it's the same but I had a similar experience.

While driving over 120km/h I could hear a similar clicking sound but it felt coming from the front pillar.
I scheduled an appointment at SC (because I had some other work to be done) and after a test drive they agreed to investigate.

At the end they fixed it by closing something which was known to be left open for some models at production line. While riding I don't hear it anymore indeed!

I can't be more specific on what they fixed because I rejected the working note. I did ask to upgrade autopilot hardware after purchasing FSD but they didn't do it and now I can't open the pdf anymore. Everything was under warranty but I didn't want a record to accept their claim 'you have the latest hardware' while I known I have HW2.5

I hope it helps!