Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "new technology" speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a source for Elon saying that Model 3 will have less range then Model S?

Yes, the battery-pack will be smaller to fit a smaller car, but with new cells and perhaps new chemistry it may well still have the same range.
He has said it would be around 200 a few times. I guess that could be the same as the 230-240 base S but seems unlikely. Having a smaller pack and still getting 200 is pretty good.

He has said it would be around 200 a few times. I guess that could be the same as the 230-240 base S but seems unlikely. Having a smaller pack and still getting 200 is pretty good.

200 REAL WORLD MILES. That is what he has said. So that would line up with the 70D roughly. With battery density improvements, even with the smaller battery size, the reduced weight and rumored improved aerodynamics that should be achievable.

200 REAL WORLD MILES. That is what he has said. So that would line up with the 70D roughly. With battery density improvements, even with the smaller battery size, the reduced weight and rumored improved aerodynamics that should be achievable.
It's hard to keep up on a time line and the variations on the way he said it but that's the way I remember the last time I heard him talk about it. It's like over a year ago he was saying they were debating going with a small model 3 that's just like the S vs something more interesting and at that time he said they were going to do something more interesting but lately he's just been saying it would be about 20% smaller then the S. I guess that means it could still be interesting but I don't know what he means by that. Anyway, 200 miles and up is great as long as they're 200 conservative miles.

My wishlist (reasonable to expect some of them to be options, and not standard)
1. 230+ miles per charge on base M3
2. 160+ miles in 15 minutes @ Superchargers
3. Model X style extra long windshield
4. LED/Laser Headlights
5. 360 degree video (Nissan style Eagle Eye)
6. Built-in Dashcam
7. Facial/Voice recognition with Profile settings
8. Android Auto + Apple CarPlay
9. Autonomous city driving
10. Multiple UI themes for Instrument Cluster and Center Console

Others have already answered on this, but since you quoted me, I'm chiming in here to.

I have tried to read and hear all about the upcomming Gen-III/Model E (earlier)/Model 3 (current). And I have several times heard Elon say that it will get «at least 200 real world miles». He has also said (about the time TMS70D was introduced) that you really need about 240 EPA miles to get 200 real world miles.

So rest assured that the base version Model 3 will get more then 200 miles of EPA range. How much more? That's anybody's guess... 240 EPA miles seams a bit high, so I'm guessing on about 220 to 240 EPA miles. But I'm hoping for 240+ EPA miles.... And it will be logical to have about the same base range on Model S and Model 3.

Others have already answered on this, but since you quoted me, I'm chiming in here to.

I have tried to read and hear all about the upcomming Gen-III/Model E (earlier)/Model 3 (current). And I have several times heard Elon say that it will get «at least 200 real world miles». He has also said (about the time TMS70D was introduced) that you really need about 240 EPA miles to get 200 real world miles.

So rest assured that the base version Model 3 will get more then 200 miles of EPA range. How much more? That's anybody's guess... 240 EPA miles seams a bit high, so I'm guessing on about 220 to 240 EPA miles. But I'm hoping for 240+ EPA miles.... And it will be logical to have about the same base range on Model S and Model 3.

So, around 200 miles then. :) Folks act like I said he said it would be no more than 199 miles in any driving condition.

We need a better EV rage rating. Something like 240/200/180, full charge/80%charge and some AC or cold weather mixed in/the latter after 3 years. There is some battery tech that can greatly improve the ratio of the last number but will lower the first two. It would be nice to know that info when they say they are changing the battery chemistry.

I think we all can agree that EV range is complicated. Did you charge to 100%, is it cold out, are you using the heater/AC lots, is the regen set to max and is your foot to the floor all the time? I’d hope when he talks about the range of the M3 it’s in regards to the range of the other cars he is already selling and it sounds like he is. But if you have not heard him say “240 EPA miles to get 200 real world miles.” and seen other videos where he just says with a 200 miles (about or at least) rage you could see that as less than the MS.

The MS is 230 miles base, so he is saying the M3 will be about the same. The M3 pack will be smaller but then the car should be lighter too. He’s said it won’t be aluminum to help with costs but with a steel frame design that should be lighter than most cars. For its size, will it be as light as the aluminum MS? Is that range with the number of cells maxed out?

Hopefully we’ll know in 2 weeks.

My wishlist (reasonable to expect some of them to be options, and not standard)
1. 230+ miles per charge on base M3
2. 160+ miles in 15 minutes @ Superchargers
3. Model X style extra long windshield
4. LED/Laser Headlights
5. 360 degree video (Nissan style Eagle Eye)
6. Built-in Dashcam
7. Facial/Voice recognition with Profile settings
8. Android Auto + Apple CarPlay
9. Autonomous city driving
10. Multiple UI themes for Instrument Cluster and Center Console

I really want 5 & 6 but he said it will not have or will have less bells and whistles than the MS with some features/options added in later years. To him maybe that’s the power door handles or the power tilt steering wheel.

We need a better EV rage rating. Something like 240/200/180, full charge/80%charge and some AC or cold weather mixed in/the latter after 3 years.

Yes, we can agree on that a better rating system, but here in Europe all we can hope for is to get on par with the EPA system :p

I don't think it is necessary to give "full charge"/"80% charge" ranges. You can expect to get about 80% of full charge when you charge to 80% :p But "Hot summer"/"ideal conditions"/"cold winter" ranges is a good idea :) And something to set the expectations for the degeneration of the batteries would be welcomed...

Still crossing my fingers for aluminum construction - living in the salt belt, it's depressing to watch my cars slowly disintegrate into orange flakes... While anticorrosion coatings get better, the state DOT's are also using more aggressive salts and brines on the roads.

Transparent aluminum is a thing, but it's a ceramic of aluminum oxide and (%*%&$^ expensive...

Aluminium oxynitride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just about everything is transparent at some point in the EM spectrum. Glass just happens to be transparent in the spectrum our eyes pick up. I had a senior level Physics class in college where one of the lab experiments involved hitting a sample material with an increasing range of frequencies until it passes through and from the spectrum of frequencies that passes through we had to figure out what material it was. I really enjoyed that class.

To my knowledge the inverter on the Model S is built using 20-year old COTS (To-247).

A few weeks ago a certain company was granted their first U.S. patent for their "FF Echelon Inverter".

So maybe Model 3 (and coming Model S/X versions) will feature a new inverter, with R&D justified by larger numbers, relying on recent semiconductor advances, for a cheaper and more compact and efficient inverter.

Since Tesla Motors is a Silicon Valley company I think this would be a natural improvement by now.

Speculating even further:

Tesla will manage to improve their inverter (with the associated electronics) and the way it controls the motor to the point where they can dispense with the reduction gear. They can then connect a smaller motor directly to a half-shaft that goes directly to the wheel, for each rear wheel. With the same option for the front wheels they would have a quad drive with electronic torque vectoring, no differential and basically a minimum of moving parts.

Tesla decided to make the 'biodefense' mode - I think the above would win over more people and leave the traditional car makers in the dust.

In fact, Tesla can then tow an Audi up that ski jump and rightfully claim:

"Vorsprung durch Technik" now belongs to Tesla.