Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "new technology" speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's beyond modern technology, but someday it will be possible to make a windscreen out of lab-made diamond. That wouldn't scratch, though looking at an angle through it would cause a lot of distortion (diamond has the highest index of refraction of all materials). The specific gravity of diamond is higher than glass, but it could me made a lot thinner than a glass windshield.

With the need to design and build a new skateboard Tesla will take advantage of what they learned with the skateboard for the S and X and bring many technological improvements to the Model 3
-Improved battery pack design
-improvement to supercharge system to support future supercharger enhancements
-New cell size with improved chemistry
-More efficient AC/Heat
-Improved motor
-Improved drive train
-Improved AP hardware

Last edited:
As someone else mentioned, maybe do away with the 17 inch rectangle and instead go with custom shaped displays. Sharp showed them off over a year ago.

Sharps new any-shape displays are coming to cars and a whole lot more

I'd also personally like to see Apple CarPlay and Android Auto built in somehow.
Do away with side mirrors (I know this means laws changing, but it's about time).
Even faster charging would completely do away with people's perceptions of electric cars. If you could get 200 miles in 15-20 minutes, that would be nice.

Even faster charging would completely do away with people's perceptions of electric cars. If you could get 200 miles in 15-20 minutes, that would be nice.

Would be awesome, but would do very little for the general public's perception. I see comments at auto blogs every damn day saying "You can't drive across the country without stopping to charge for hours every 80 miles." There's just a lot of resistance out there and facts have a hard time penetrating some skulls...

Would be awesome, but would do very little for the general public's perception. I see comments at auto blogs every damn day saying "You can't drive across the country without stopping to charge for hours every 80 miles." There's just a lot of resistance out there and facts have a hard time penetrating some skulls...
Or the "glorified golf cart" comment.

I thought Model 3 was going to have a brand new next-gen drive unit?

It will, The whole skateboard architecture will be a redesign for the Gen3 automobiles. Lessons learned over the past Ten years.

Mechanical door handles.
Considering they haven't yet, and the components cost more for a mechanical system, for get it.

Maybe they've gotten rid of the 17" screen entirely and have gone with heads-up display on the windshield, plus hand gesture and voice recognition for interacting with controls and settings.
heads-up possibly, but the touch screen is very Tesla right now, and no one else is copying them yet anyway.

More efficient heating and a/c?
the heating unit is efficient in an energy usage kind of way (inherent to electrical heat) but effective heating could be improved

I really hope that the Model 3 comes with a ultra efficient compressor for heat and cool modes. An efficient heat pump vs electric element heat can be vastly more efficient. And typically compressors designed to heat and cool are also more efficient in cooling modes too.

Multi-Stage compressors are possible in cars, my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid has a variable stage Compressor for ac modes. Setting my car to 79*f on hot days keeps me (mostly) comfortable, but keeps the hit on MPG low, as the compressor is operating at such an efficient rpm. If tesla makes an AC system that is ultra efficient for mild cooling loads, I am sure it would keep most people satisfied and reduce the overall range loss from climate control.
Heat pumps aren't more efficient in heating from an energy stand point. They are more efficient in a one unit does both standpoint.

Isn't it about time we ditched glass windscreens (windshield for US readers) for polycarbonate or similar to give weight gains for a lighter vehicle.
from my experience in aviation. Definitely not. Non glass options scratch extremely easy with dust and grit. Let alone using wiper blades as well.

One piece of tech I hope Tesla adopts, I had in my Mini Cooper.

Very fine wire filaments were sandwiched in the windshield for instant defrost. Like electric defrost for the rear window on most vehicles. It works extremely well and very few times did the filaments ever become noticeable while driving. If Tesla incorporated this into all windows, less energy would be used by the HVAC system in cold climates trying to keep the Windows clear. And direct more air to the passengers. Also I hope they build Dyson Fan type air vents into the car. Anyone that has used a Dyson fan would understand the benefit.

Heat pumps aren't more efficient in heating from an energy stand point. They are more efficient in a one unit does both standpoint.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Many people install heat pumps on their house for the sole reason for every watt of power you put in you get more than one watt if thermal energy back. Electric coils are 1 watt for 1 watt.

Heat pumps move heat, they don't create heat.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Many people install heat pumps on their house for the sole reason for every watt of power you put in you get more than one watt if thermal energy back. Electric coils are 1 watt for 1 watt.

Heat pumps move heat, they don't create heat.
Right, heat pumps can get above 100% efficiency in terms of thermal energy (while resistive heat maxes out at 100%). It is just in very cold weather their efficiency drops and approaches that of resistive heating (the flow of refrigerant also slows dramatically so the amount of heat drops dramatically). That is why most heat pump systems have resistive heat as a back up.

It's beyond modern technology, but someday it will be possible to make a windscreen out of lab-made diamond. That wouldn't scratch, though looking at an angle through it would cause a lot of distortion (diamond has the highest index of refraction of all materials). The specific gravity of diamond is higher than glass, but it could me made a lot thinner than a glass windshield.
My impression is that diamond may be very hard but that it is also rather brittle. Also, being just carbon, diamond burns really well. Not that one would expect a windshield to catch on fire, but that might be a safety consideration.

My impression is that diamond may be very hard but that it is also rather brittle. Also, being just carbon, diamond burns really well. Not that one would expect a windshield to catch on fire, but that might be a safety consideration.

You are thinking of hydrocarbons which are molecules that are mostly carbon and hydrogen (many have other bits clumped on too). Most hydrocarbons do burn quite easily, but diamonds have an extremely high flashpoint. Diamonds are formed in conditions that are 900-1300 C and burn at much higher temperatures than that. Essentially the temperature that would burn a diamond window would probably melt any glass too.

Naturally formed crystals have fracture lines (flaws) running through them and they can be calved at those fracture lines. An expert diamond cutter learns to see those lines and determines the best spots to apply pressure. We can make diamonds in labs now, but it's still a fairly new technology and the results are still fairly small. It may never be possible to lab grow giant diamonds, but humans do make single unified crystals of other substances. If it wasn't possible to make singe, pure, flaw free silicon, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Modern electronics is only possible because humans can lab grow massive silicon crystals that have no flaws.

Back to the subject, car and aircraft makers would be very happy to find a hard, scratch resistant, light, and transparent material to make windows out of. Aircraft use plexiglass because light weight is most important. Plexiglass was one of the first plastics and was in widespread use by WW II. It is as clear as glass and has the advantage of being much lighter than glass, but it is much softer than glass and can still shatter. Glass is very heavy, but it's the best material for cars which are exposed to more debris than aircraft and where weight is not as serious a problem. It's a tough problem, despite the obvious rewards to someone who can come up with a better material, nobody has in 100 years or so of trying.

Back to the subject, car and aircraft makers would be very happy to find a hard, scratch resistant, light, and transparent material to make windows out of. Aircraft use plexiglass because light weight is most important. Plexiglass was one of the first plastics and was in widespread use by WW II. It is as clear as glass and has the advantage of being much lighter than glass, but it is much softer than glass and can still shatter. Glass is very heavy, but it's the best material for cars which are exposed to more debris than aircraft and where weight is not as serious a problem. It's a tough problem, despite the obvious rewards to someone who can come up with a better material, nobody has in 100 years or so of trying.

Spot on

Air-sheet windshield clearing tech to replace current windshield wipers. :scared:

Instead of windshield wipers, we get freakin' LASERS to evoprate the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they've gotten rid of the 17" screen entirely and have gone with heads-up display on the windshield, plus hand gesture and voice recognition for interacting with controls and settings.

for the Model 3, they keep the 17" screen but switch it to Landscape mode. :eek: Mind Blown.

This brings back memories. Back in my college days, a couple of my friends and I were goofing off at 3am, in the electronics lab, and started messing with a transducer. We hooked it up to a sheet of glass and started searching for the resonance frequency :p We noticed how a few drops of soda on the glass started acting like mercury at a certain frequency and just ran off the sheet in a hurry. We all noticed and laughed, but didn't really think much of it. But, that's genius to use it in automobiles.

Reactions: DrGuest