Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which other part came in for you? Only the main data hub is in for me. It's enough for me to just pull the center console and just do the install.

The wireless charging pad.

Here's the messed up thing.
They're charing me $20 for the wireless charging pad.
And $60 for the bar. The plastic piece that keeps the phone from sliding off.

Did they reverse the prices?

Anyways, I would totally be game to meet up and while wearing masks work together to install the hubs in both our cars. I kinda feel like the second install would take a quarter of the time.

Direct Message me. I'm a teacher so off for the summer, and unless I'm out of town camping I have little else to do.

PS: It is bad to use Youtube on the center screen to show directions to take the car apart? It's like the car is giving you instructions on how to dissect itself!

They're charing me $20 for the wireless charging pad.
And $60 for the bar. The plastic piece that keeps the phone from sliding off.

Anyways, I would totally be game to meet up and while wearing masks work together to install the hubs in both our cars. I kinda feel like the second install would take a quarter of the time.

I haven't seen actual dollar numbers for my order... it's bizarre. I'm just assuming the price you stated is the price i'm being charged for. I bet you they swap the wireless charging pad and the sliding lip thing. That thing is only $35 on jadda or whatever that brand is.

do you pay them up front or when the parts arrive?
Personally I haven't seen any bills or what not. But tesla being tesla, most things are probably charged directly to your credit card. my email says check the app ... which doesn't show ANYTHING about this. I have a service request out for body alignment issues.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
obviously the hub and charger dose support the handshaking. Both are USB-C PD compatible devices. I was referring to the "What are your thoughts on a DC-DC buck converter tapping into a 12v line and stepping it down to 9v@3a (LM2596)?" questions.
That wasn't my response. But thanks that makes sense and obviously won't work.

Based on my measurements Model Y front USB-C supports the 5V 3A and 9V 3A options. My guess is its the same USB-C controller as rear went. The USB-A port was similar to previous gen 2.5-2.6A with better voltage regulations. The voltage was controlled and stayed 5.1-5.2V under the full load. I believe the previous gen front hub was letting voltage to sink up to 4.9V which is still within the USB spec. The wireless charger is powered by 9V. Single iPhone was pulling about 0.8A, two phones about 1.8Amps.

I took pictures of inside the wireless pad in case you or anyone else was interested.

Attachments

• photo_2020-07-06_01-58-39.jpg
    photo_2020-07-06_01-58-39.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 235
  • photo_2020-07-06_01-58-45.jpg
    photo_2020-07-06_01-58-45.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 190
  • photo_2020-07-06_01-58-42.jpg
    photo_2020-07-06_01-58-42.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 182
I tried the method of doing a service appointment through the app. I selected "Other" and entered the 4 part numbers in the text. The got back to me shortly saying they'd ordered 3 of the parts, and I should get the wireless charging pad from the Tesla web store (which I then went to and ordered). I've got an appointment set up for Fremont on Thursday to go and pick up the parts.

The only thing I missed reading through here the first time, is I assumed the charging pad would have an internal connection to the new USB-C hub. Is that true? Also, does it support the higher power Qi? Since I saw the old style USB connectors on the wireless charging pad, I assume it only supports the regular Qi, not the "Fast Charge" Qi?

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I tried the method of doing a service appointment through the app. I selected "Other" and entered the 4 part numbers in the text. The got back to me shortly saying they'd ordered 3 of the parts, and I should get the wireless charging pad from the Tesla web store (which I then went to and ordered). I've got an appointment set up for Fremont on Thursday to go and pick up the parts.

The only thing I missed reading through here the first time, is I assumed the charging pad would have an internal connection to the new USB-C hub. Is that true? Also, does it support the higher power Qi? Since I saw the old style USB connectors on the wireless charging pad, I assume it only supports the regular Qi, not the "Fast Charge" Qi?

Thanks!

The new wireless pad uses the USB-C port on the hub. The one in the store uses two USB-A ports.

Thanks!
the wireless pad you ordered through the tesla store is not the right one. it'll be the old USB A style one that you dont want. Gotta order it through that part number. Mine has been delivered to my service center. now I am waiting for the wireless pad lip and the rear vents.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Durzel
UPDATE: INCOMPATIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(unless you are good at messing with wires and soldering a new connector)

s-l1600-3-jpg.556043

Original - note the power port plug

Tesla Model 3 USB Hub NEW SIDE.png

NEW - note the slight relocation of the USB plug and it's now a 4 pin L connector power plug...

Tesla Model 3 Rear Vent NEW PORT.png

Same for the rear vents. The old one is a 4 pine smaller H-shape connector. It wont work!!!

Tesla Model 3 USB Hub NEW back.png Tesla Model 3 Rear Vent NEW sticker.png Tesla Model 3 USB Hub NEW Front.png

Here's some more pics of I took of the parts. I'm calling it quits on this project. I returned my parts. I imagine if someone can rewire the existing harness into this new L shaped 4 pine bracket, or just make an adapter, it can work. But i'm not an engineer nor an electrician. It may not be a hard project but it's not for me.

GG

Damn that's a shame, but thanks for getting to the bottom of it for all of us.

I wonder whether the newer cars actually have an adapter, or whether the loom is actually different all the way up to the connector. We might never know unless someone decides to take their Y/new 3 apart.

Those spade connectors look a lot beefier on the newer hub than the old one, I guess perhaps because they have to deal with more amps/watts for USB-C PD? Would be interesting to know how much voltage goes through each of those pins, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Adam3
@Durzel I'm very curious as well. I bet you someone can make a adapter harness out of the existing 4 pin. When I picked up the parts, i immediately tried the rear vents. I was starting to film it and found the new port =(. So I returned it right away knowing I won't go further than this. The harness is threaded deep into the center console, Unless I can get down in there on a NEW model Y or 3, I won't find out.

Guess i'll keep using the 12v cig lighter port. Works fine anyways, I don't charge that often.

Hold on folks. I have a theory that it just needs a new console harness. There are two possible part numbers. I'm going to see if my local service center will order both for me......

I know a new console harness sounds like a lot of work. But, by the time you get the USB hub out... it's easily do-able.

Remember, the parts we ordered are for Tesla Model3 cars. There is a way to make it work. Give me time and I'll figure it out.

Hold on folks. I have a theory that it just needs a new console harness. There are two possible part numbers. I'm going to see if my local service center will order both for me......

I know a new console harness sounds like a lot of work. But, by the time you get the USB hub out... it's easily do-able.

Remember, the parts we ordered are for Tesla Model3 cars. There is a way to make it work. Give me time and I'll figure it out.

Why not just buy both connectors and make a small adapter.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Durzel
Status
Not open for further replies.