Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the adapter is behind the plug, but is this making it fast charging? Because more power and amps does not equal fast charging

We are replacing Tesla's old USB-A charger with Tesla's new usb-c charger.

The power output of Tesla's new usb-c plug is 27W (9V x 3A = 27W). The power output of the old usb-a plug was 10W (5V x 2A = 10W)

I don't know if there is a precise definition or line between "fast" and "slow", but it is nearly three times faster than before.

27W is pretty fast for a cell phone, but a laptop will probably still complain that it is too low power for full charge speed.

We are replacing Tesla's old USB-A charger with Tesla's new usb-c charger. I don't know if there is a precise definition or line between "fast" and "slow".

The power output of Tesla's new usb-c plug is 27W (9V x 3A = 27W). The power output of the old usb-a plug was 10W (5V x 2A = 10W)

27W is pretty fast for a cell phone, but a laptop will probably still complain that it is too low power for full charge speed.

Thanks for the kind reply.
I was just curious about having a fast charging for a phone. There are quite a few standards out there mostly for iPhone and Samsung ( lightning and quick charge 2.0 or 3.0)

Only reason I ask was because for my wireless charger to work as quick charge I have to use a quick charge 12v adapter and run it to the front where the wireless charger is.

I do understand that this modification you guys are doing will still charge faster than the old one though.

Last edited:
The original Tesla charger do have their own circuit boards and only get 12 V from the harness in the car.
Due to the other circuit boards the outputs provide different amounts of power (mentioned by cypho)

The USB-A and USB-C variants of the chargers do have other plugs for the harness (power). You can adapt the harness with the aforementioned, self-made adapters from @smatthew and me
:)

Only reason I ask was because for my wireless charger to work as quick charge I have to use a quick charge 12v adapter and run it to the front where the wireless charger is.

I do understand that this modification you guys are doing will still charge faster though.

The fast charging capabilities for wireless charging depend on your wireless charger. But the USB-C port can deliver more power (27W) to your wireless charging pad.
As already mentioned, whether the wireless charging pad can use this 9V / 3A depends on the wireless charging pad used.

Got my adapters! Thanks for the quick shipping! Now to order the rest of the stuff....

9F44DC86-D412-4076-857F-016807126F9F.jpeg

My parts arrived! I installed the rear ports, and WOW that was easy.

It took less than 1 minute from start to finish. And half of that time was me fumbling around trying to unplug the wire from the old part (there is a tab on the top of the wire that you press in to release).

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I emailed my Service center using the service email on Tesla.com asking for them to order the 4 part numbers. Haven't heard anything. Guess I'm going to need to call :(
I have had good luck submitting a service request via the app and just say in the notes. "Purchase parts: xxxxxxxx, yyyyyyyyyyy, zzzzzzzzzz".

I was advised this was the best way to get parts by a service tech when I showed up one day (a year ago) asking for parts that I assumed they would keep in stock (plastic clips). They didn't have the parts and told me to submit a service request in the app. I've done it several times since then and have always received a prompt response.

I have had good luck submitting a service request via the app and just say in the notes. "Purchase parts: xxxxxxxx, yyyyyyyyyyy, zzzzzzzzzz".

I was advised this was the best way to get parts by a service tech when I showed up one day (a year ago) asking for parts that I assumed they would keep in stock (plastic clips). They didn't have the parts and told me to submit a service request in the app. I've done it several times since then and have always received a prompt response.
This has worked very well for me also. My text messages are answered promptly, which is a *whole* lot better than telephone hell. Actually, my Tesla app notified me today that the part arrived at the service center. I paid the invoice, and then received a text message that it will be shipped to my home as requested. Seamless so far.

By the way Scott, the adapter arrived today. Thanks !!
My wife was properly impressed by the tidy and eco sensitive packaging. Nice !

Reactions: smatthew

Nice! I will try that after my existing service appointment is cleared out. Mobile service came to replace my tail light on Monday and when he unwrapped the new part, it was cracked. So I had to submit another service request for 2 weeks out :(

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Nice! I will try that after my existing service appointment is cleared out. Mobile service came to replace my tail light on Monday and when he unwrapped the new part, it was cracked. So I had to submit another service request for 2 weeks out :(
Geez, that's underwhelming. Bet he'll start unwrapping a few parts before he leaves the service center to go work for the day. But better than the poor service tech who came to replace my cellular module - he had the computer out (which takes a bit of work and a lot of pieces out) before he realized that someone in parts had specified a HW2.5 modem for a car with HW3 - and they're not compatible.

I've had good luck either a) showing up at the service center, or b) calling the service center and selecting the option for "my car is in service" - someone always seems to pick up that line.

Reactions: SK360
Today I changed my front USB-Hub.
Everything works fine :) The same type of adapter can be used for the front Hub.

But it was definitely more difficult than the rear retrofit, as the center console has to be removed.
In the German forum I have published many more pictures and instructions. Maybe the photos will help you :)

Here is the link: USB-C Retrofit für Tesla Model 3

If someone wants to have an adapter I would have them on eBay.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/707-5...29487&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

As I said, there are very long delays with the post to the United States. I would recommend you to order the adapter from smatthew if you are from America :)

Attachments

• 9D690976-685E-490F-8002-00A301A67D6A.jpeg
    9D690976-685E-490F-8002-00A301A67D6A.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 136
  • D2E5E2CB-2EA5-40B7-B2A8-18426B641824.jpeg
    D2E5E2CB-2EA5-40B7-B2A8-18426B641824.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 143
  • 39BCB05C-7FF9-4B90-9179-82A002DA94AB.jpeg
    39BCB05C-7FF9-4B90-9179-82A002DA94AB.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 142
  • B23C9620-0A07-41A2-A038-1DA65679B1C3.jpeg
    B23C9620-0A07-41A2-A038-1DA65679B1C3.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 162
Today I changed my front USB-Hub.
Everything works fine :) The same type of adapter can be used for the front Hub.

But it was definitely more difficult than the rear retrofit, as the center console has to be removed.
In the German forum I have published many more pictures and instructions. Maybe the photos will help you :)

Here is the link: USB-C Retrofit für Tesla Model 3
Here's a few more links with info on center console removal.

Center console removal - Tesla Owners Online

Tesla came through and the USB-C part arrived a day after it shipped. I'm feeling better about the $20 S&H now.

Installation in back is easy as mentioned by others but I did have to tilt the adapter the get the pins to line up so that the adapter could be inserted. No big deal, just don't force it.

I tested on a 2020 MacBook Air and pulled a max of 20 watts (11.6v/1.7 Amps) into the battery when the notebook was closed for about 5 - 10 minutes. At home using a "30 watt" charger and the same USB-C cable the notebook reports 12v and 2.67 Amps. All power draws at SoC 30 - 40%

A big thanks to Scott and to all who contributed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.