Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done any tests with the Tesla M3 (post June 2020)/MY wireless charger? (part # 1541234-00-B)

I've been told all of the parts I ordered are now in stock, but I'm having second thoughts about replacing the Jeda wireless charger I've already got.

The Tesla one takes one USB-C for both sides, presumably can fast charge on both sides? Has anyone tried this out to see what they get from the port when charging a phone?

The Jeda one I have already has two USB-A connectors, which - when I replace the front hub - will mean that one side has 5V/2A/10W (from the USB-A) and the other has 9A/3A/27W from the USB-C, and would be using both ports, unless I buy a replacement Jeda hub too.

I've also heard apocryphal reports that the OEM Tesla wireless charger is a bit unreliable with charging the new iPhone 12 Pro Max (which I was keen to get) when it is in a case.

The Tesla wireless charger (1541234-00-B) and the wireless phone dock bar (1547380-00-A) represent nearly 50% of the parts costs.

Trying to work out what to do here... would be interested in some thoughts.

Reactions: comraddan
I ended up buying all of the bits. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say. The parts are arriving tomorrow, just need to wait for the adapters.

Do you really have to disconnect the 12V battery to fit these? @PhilippDen and @smatthew fitting walkthroughs on their respective websites/forums involves disconnecting it, but I believe you didn’t @SK360 ? Were there any problems from not disconnecting the battery?

I so badly wish there was a video walkthrough for removing the centre console to get to the USB hub. Photos just don’t tell the whole story. :(

I ended up buying all of the bits. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say. The parts are arriving tomorrow, just need to wait for the adapters.

Do you really have to disconnect the 12V battery to fit these? @PhilippDen and @smatthew fitting walkthroughs on their respective websites/forums involves disconnecting it, but I believe you didn’t @SK360 ? Were there any problems from not disconnecting the battery?

I so badly wish there was a video walkthrough for removing the centre console to get to the USB hub. Photos just don’t tell the whole story. :(

There's a YouTube video that I watched prior to attempting install. I think it was by i1tesla, he was removing it for some other purpose but it showed the steps we need.

I did not unplug return anything off when I installed mine.

Edit, here's the video I found useful.

Here's a few more links with info on center console removal.

Center console removal - Tesla Owners Online

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Durzel

I didn’t disconnect it. I went in and did a full power off on the screen though.

I found this thread the best. There’s 2 10mm bolts on each side on the front, the 2 in the rear under the vents. The big wiring harness under the rear vents and the USB connector he has circled on the passenger side is the only other thing that needs disconnected. I was then able to slide the console back and up far enough to get the hub out.

His pictures shows 2 screws under the phone lid, I did not have to take them out, I believe some cars have another 2 in the recessed spots that may need to come out if you have them.

USB-C Retrofit für Tesla Model 3

• Helpful
ole back and up far enough to get the hu
I didn’t disconnect it. I went in and did a full power off on the screen though.

I found this thread the best. There’s 2 10mm bolts on each side on the front, the 2 in the rear under the vents. The big wiring harness under the rear vents and the USB connector he has circled on the passenger side is the only other thing that needs disconnected. I was then able to slide the console back and up far enough to get the hub out.

His pictures shows 2 screws under the phone lid, I did not have to take them out, I believe some cars have another 2 in the recessed spots that may need to come out if you have them.

USB-C Retrofit für Tesla Model 3
I wish I read this post earlier. I was not aware that there's a connector in the passenger side and pull the center console backward after removing all the bolts and disconnect the OBD-II connector. That killed the connecter locking mechanism and the USB port itself is slightly bent. Glad that it is still working after I reconnect everything.

• Informative
Has anyone done any tests with the Tesla M3 (post June 2020)/MY wireless charger? (part # 1541234-00-B)

I've been told all of the parts I ordered are now in stock, but I'm having second thoughts about replacing the Jeda wireless charger I've already got.

The Tesla one takes one USB-C for both sides, presumably can fast charge on both sides? Has anyone tried this out to see what they get from the port when charging a phone?

The Jeda one I have already has two USB-A connectors, which - when I replace the front hub - will mean that one side has 5V/2A/10W (from the USB-A) and the other has 9A/3A/27W from the USB-C, and would be using both ports, unless I buy a replacement Jeda hub too.

I've also heard apocryphal reports that the OEM Tesla wireless charger is a bit unreliable with charging the new iPhone 12 Pro Max (which I was keen to get) when it is in a case.

The Tesla wireless charger (1541234-00-B) and the wireless phone dock bar (1547380-00-A) represent nearly 50% of the parts costs.

Trying to work out what to do here... would be interested in some thoughts.

I was seeing the same things, the stock Tesla doesn't seem to do so well charging the iPhone 12 variants especially with a case on the phone.

Is it possible to use a USB-C to Micro USB (or whatever plug is on the Jeda/Taptes/whatever) and get the benefits of faster charging?

Also, does the USB-C do data? Can I plug a USB memory stick in there?

Are the following parts are correct for upgrading my 2018 Model 3? I skimmed through every page of thread but there is a lot of information.

Parts (from a reddit post):
1522264-00-B Front hub
1541234-00-B Wireless charge pad
1547380-00-A Phone dock bar
1111072-00-E Rear USB Hub

Reactions: APotatoGod
Are the following parts are correct for upgrading my 2018 Model 3? I skimmed through every page of thread but there is a lot of information.

Parts (from a reddit post):
1522264-00-B Front hub
1541234-00-B Wireless charge pad
1547380-00-A Phone dock bar
1111072-00-E Rear USB Hub
Yep those are the right part numbers. If you don’t care for Tesla branded USB C wireless charging pad, you can skip 1541234-00-B and 1547380-00-A.

After picking up the parts yesterday, I completed the retrofit with great success using the harnesses made by @smatthew. Parts took approximately 3 weeks to arrive.

The new parts catalog is online. The rear usb ports will not be able to transfer data because the rear console has the same part number as the current USB-C console :)

Edit: There is another USB hub mentioned in the Parts Catalog:

M3/Y Rear USB (27W USB-C + 27W USB-C); 1546129-00-D

It’s mentioned in the Category „USB Hub“ and „Center Console After October 2020“, but it’s not shown anywhere.

And there is the new usb hub for the new center console. And a new usb front panel.

ASY, USB HUB, GEN3; 1755200-00-B

M3 2.0, CONSOLE, FR USB PANEL; 1755549-00-A

I want to note for the thread that the part 1546129-00-D refers to the actual rear USB C hub module. I did not inquire the cost of the hub as anyone doing the retrofit will almost definitely want the matching USB C faceplate which I believe only comes with the entire assembly 1111072-00-E.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ModLTh3
This is what I ordered and received, from a parts list provided elsewhere in this thread:

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 12.25.41.png

Anyone doing this retrofit needs the whole rear assembly which has the hub (1546129-00-D) already installed, which for me was 1111072-00-E. 1111072-00-C was the old USB-A version.

I wonder if the 1755200-00-B hub is a direct replacement for the USB-C + USB-A pre-2021 version? :) Could be that people could install that up front instead of the 1522264-00-B version, for 2 front USB-C ports. Would mean you can't use a Jeda/other USB hub though.

Last edited:
This is what I ordered and received, from a parts list provided elsewhere in this thread:

View attachment 616245

Anyone doing this retrofit needs the whole rear assembly which has the hub (1546129-00-D) already installed, which for me was 1111072-00-E. 1111072-00-C was the old USB-A version.

I wonder if the 1755200-00-B hub is a direct replacement for the USB-C + USB-A pre-2021 version? :) Could be that people could install that up front instead of the 1522264-00-B version, for 2 front USB-C ports. Would mean you can't use a Jeda/other USB hub though.
I was wondering about the 1755200-00-B hub as well, assuming the distance between the ports are the same as the older hubs and they use either of the existing known connectors for power. Not sure how clean it'll look though because the pre-2021 consoles had a backplate that was cut for 2x USB A ports. They got around the cutout issue by squaring off the USB-C port in the Model Y hub but the new 'GEN3' ports are rounded. More parts to replace hehe. :D

Attachments

• m3 refresh ports.jpg
    m3 refresh ports.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
  • Informative
Yeah. Since it sits in a different place I would be surprised if the screw holes were in the same place, etc. It’s possible, but until someone actually sees a 2021 hub in the flesh it’s impossible to know.

As you say it could potentially look a bit weird too, with the pre-2021 cars having cutouts in the console for USB-A ports in them.

I'm planning on tackling this soon, once we see a dry and warm day (in the UK that's about 3 days a year). A couple of quick questions before I get stuck in, as I like to be prepared..
  1. I've seen it said in guides that one side of the carpeted section on either side of the centre console is harder to get off. I guess for Americans it would be the passenger side one. I'm wondering, since I have a RHD car, whether that's likely to be the drivers side or reversed? I'm trying to avoid snapping anything by using too much force. Where should the side that has the hook at the top be pulled out from to start with?

2. The connector on the passenger side (again I'm assuming drivers side on RHD) that you're supposed to unplug before you pull the console back. It's not obvious from photos or from the descriptions I've read how this connector is removed. I don't want to pull on it at the wrong place and damage anything.

Untitled-2.jpg
Thanks in advance :)

I'm planning on tackling this soon, once we see a dry and warm day (in the UK that's about 3 days a year). A couple of quick questions before I get stuck in, as I like to be prepared..
  1. I've seen it said in guides that one side of the carpeted section on either side of the centre console is harder to get off. I guess for Americans it would be the passenger side one. I'm wondering, since I have a RHD car, whether that's likely to be the drivers side or reversed? I'm trying to avoid snapping anything by using too much force. Where should the side that has the hook at the top be pulled out from to start with?

2. The connector on the passenger side (again I'm assuming drivers side on RHD) that you're supposed to unplug before you pull the console back. It's not obvious from photos or from the descriptions I've read how this connector is removed. I don't want to pull on it at the wrong place and damage anything.

View attachment 633629
#1: On my USA car, the driver side carpet was harder to remove. I don't think there's more risk of breaking it, the only thing that made it harder there is not a convenient place to grab and tug. The air filter on USA car is on passenger side, and you have to remove the carpet to replace the air filter so I think they designed that part to be easy to remove. there's no real reason to ever remove the other side, so they did not design a handhold location. On your car whichever side doesn't have the air filter is probably the one that will be harder to remove.

#2: From my recollection the cable you need to unplug is on the backside, near the part you circled. So you can't really see it in a picture. It's a latching connector and was really hard to remove mostly because you cant see it enough to find the latch.

But it is very easy to identify, because it looks just like a mini-USB cable (the cable phones used for charging before everyone switched to micro USB).

View attachment 633629
Luckily for you I recorded the whole retrofit process and cropped the part with the specific connector you’re wondering about. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.