Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 No Entertainment for Passenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been waiting for an update to fix this, but a ~quick~ search shows no one has made this complaint yet. So how could it get fixed?

I often return to the Model 3 before my spouse and the infotainment and climate turn on when I open the passengers side door, but when I sit down and close the door it all turns off.

The seat sensor works, if I unbuckle with the car rolling the seat belt nag kicks in. If I stay in the passengers seat after my wife parks and leaves there is no issue. I can use the app to turn the climate back on, but cannot get the infotainment to come back unless I open the door.

I know, first world problems, eh?

I have been waiting for an update to fix this, but a ~quick~ search shows no one has made this complaint yet. So how could it get fixed?

I often return to the Model 3 before my spouse and the infotainment and climate turn on when I open the passengers side door, but when I sit down and close the door it all turns off.

The seat sensor works, if I unbuckle with the car rolling the seat belt nag kicks in. If I stay in the passengers seat after my wife parks and leaves there is no issue. I can use the app to turn the climate back on, but cannot get the infotainment to come back unless I open the door.

Just got my M3 last week and I’ve also noticed this. Thought it was odd, especially since I have the connected phone in my pocket.

Tap the screen and everything comes back. My wife has no problem waiting for me inside the car.

That only works when the screen goes blank after the driver exits, this is something totally different. I am using my phone for entry to the passenger side, try it out next time you have a few minutes, maybe you can find a way to bring the creature comforts back, I couldn't.

That only works when the screen goes blank after the driver exits, this is something totally different. I am using my phone for entry to the passenger side, try it out next time you have a few minutes, maybe you can find a way to bring the creature comforts back, I couldn't.
Just did it, didn't even open the driver side and sat on passenger side only. Everything works fine for me, including a/c, music, web browser etc. Talk to a SC maybe?

Reactions: WhiteWi

screen went blank yesterday for me also when i left the car with my phone last nite while my wife was in car. I might just put the app on my wifes phone as well

It was a first since I updated yesterday. A reboot got the screen back on..

Update: Downloaded 2019.40.2.1 and infotainment still shuts off if only the passenger approaches and enters the vehicle. Will have to try this with my X when I get it back.

Got my Model X back from the body shop Friday night, media comes right back if you touch the center console after closing the door.

Not so much on the Model 3. I understand it is a "cheap" car, but software is so simple!

BTW: WTF using json files to configure your binaries!?! Makes me concerned the binaries are compiled using modern compilers instead of tested bug-known compilers. Script-kiddies comes to mind....

Might have to. Model 3 LR, HW 2.5, MCU 2, October 18. Can't think of much else that could be different.

Model 3 AWD, HW 2.5, MCU 2, Aug 2018, 2019.40.2.1 here

I just tested it, I don't see that problem. I open the door from passenger side, sit down, screen turned on, close the door, screen turned off, touch the screen, screen turned on again and I could use it to play music.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Update: Downloaded 2019.40.2.1 and infotainment still shuts off if only the passenger approaches and enters the vehicle. Will have to try this with my X when I get it back.
Model 3 AWD, HW 2.5, MCU 2, Aug 2018, 2019.40.2.1 here

I just tested it, I don't see that problem. I open the door from passenger side, sit down, screen turned on, close the door, screen turned off, touch the screen, screen turned on again and I could use it to play music.

I guess I will have to visit the service center. Apparently there are a lot of firmware adjustments that can be done in service mode.

Got my X back this wekend, my settings are set for auto-open on the drivers door, and it no longer works. Apparently the body shop tech made a firmware change instead of turning it off from the settings. The shop told me to bring it back after the holidays.

I guess I will have to visit the service center. Apparently there are a lot of firmware adjustments that can be done in service mode.

Got my X back this wekend, my settings are set for auto-open on the drivers door, and it no longer works. Apparently the body shop tech made a firmware change instead of turning it off from the settings. The shop told me to bring it back after the holidays.

Car went to the service center today for an inoperable horn button and this issue. The tech verified the issue in our car, then went out and tried four other Model 3's and they also had the same issue.

Their best guess is this is intentional in case you are throwing your stuff on the seat, don't enable infotainment to save battery...

Maybe I should try putting my seat belt on before I close the door...

Car went to the service center today for an inoperable horn button and this issue. The tech verified the issue in our car, then went out and tried four other Model 3's and they also had the same issue.

Their best guess is this is intentional in case you are throwing your stuff on the seat, don't enable infotainment to save battery...

Maybe I should try putting my seat belt on before I close the door...

Is an odd issue in the Model 3. Wasn't a problem in Model S/X. Occasionally works to just tap the screen, but I'm not sure why.

However, Camp Mode now solves the problem. Just have to turn that on.